• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

RIP Kobe B

ScottySkis

Tragic
Life is way to short
I never liked ideas of helicopters flying
Condolence to his family and friends
Sad for newborn child.
It’s sad enough this happened to him but when she was included,it’s more heart breaking.Shes so young and hadn’t lived her life yet

Last edited:

thetrailboss

Staff member
CNN posted camera footage from someone who witnessed the last few seconds of the flight. Holy shit it was horrifying.

I was at Snowbird when someone told us. Incredibly sad that at least two or three teenage kids died.

JimG.

Staff member
I'll surely catch shit for saying so but I don't trust helicopters. Not a bit. I know, the old fart technophobe again.

Went heliskiing in Portillo Chile and the heli rides scared the crap out of me. First ride I thought we were going to crash into the side of a mountain and it took me a while to get used to how the heli maneuvered. Never really got comfy. And I never got over the fact that if the rotors lose power the heli has the flying ability of a large rock.

At least an airplane has wings and you might be able to glide down; in a heli you are dead.

RIP Kobe and daughter really a horrible and very sad end.

ALLSKIING

Staff member
CNN posted camera footage from someone who witnessed the last few seconds of the flight. Holy shit it was horrifying.

I was at Snowbird when someone told us. Incredibly sad that at least two or three teenage kids died.
That video is fake. The fog was so think nobody could see the helicopter

Sent from my SM-N950U using AlpineZone mobile app

thetrailboss

Staff member
That video is fake. The fog was so think nobody could see the helicopter

Sent from my SM-N950U using AlpineZone mobile app

Ah. Interesting. It is now gone from CNN so it must have been a hoax that the local affiliate took. And I did find the video on YouTube and you can see that the weather, terrain, color of the chopper, and other details are quite different. Not to mention that the people are speaking a non-english language.

Glenn

This is seems to be sadly similar to what happened to Stevie Ray Vaughan back in 1990.