• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mad River Glen -- 1/29/2020 -- unskiable/dangerous "idiots only"

bdfreetuna

The pics tell the story. Most of my runs were off the double because it was so cold and windy. Maybe I would pick Sunnyside over Single Chair if I had to pick just one. Luckily don't have to.

View of Catamount Bowl in the morning-- clouds were flying fast

MRG-1.jpg

Partridge or somewhere around there

MRG-2.jpg

Nice grippy bumps.

MRG-3.jpg

Great powder in the woods off Quacky, not many tracks in there (now there are lol)

MRG-4.jpg

More completely untouched woods until my skis came along

MRG-6.jpg

bdfreetuna

Next 3 pics are 20th hole or 19th hole or whatever. I did a pretty good job not getting lost since most of the lines I was skiing were untracked or old tracks covered up.

MRG-7.jpg

MRG-8.jpg

MRG-9.jpg

What's weird is I didn't even get a scratch on my ski today. BTW they did a real nice job grooming a good selection of trails, which made for most runs linking woods, moguls, and groomed on the way down.

More skiing tomorrow.... a completely different mountain in NH. I'll be skiing woods there too.

Last edited:

bdfreetuna

Agreed, nice hit Tuna.

Today was Bretton Woods pretty nice hit too considering not a cloud in the sky and crystal clear visibility, I was literally picking out specific hiking trails on Mount Washington and the Presidentials (made easier by not deep snow pack up there). Like you mentioned a couple days ago the groomers were a little on the firm side, actually I enjoyed them but they got a little skied off faster than I expected. Wasn't glare ice underneath though just hard pack. Seemed like a "shallower" groom than I'm used to at Bretton.

Woods were pretty surfy / poppy although not as much base as Northern Vermont so you definitely want to stick to the "open" ones.

Edd

Today was Bretton Woods pretty nice hit too considering not a cloud in the sky and crystal clear visibility

This week was my first look at the gondola and new summit lodge. That lodge looks to be amazing, particularly the views.

bdfreetuna

Def appears to be an improvement over the lodge/restaurant at the top of Bethlehem chair. Wasn't impressed last time I stopped in there for a burger + beer.

The gondola is really nice, nice job putting it really close to the lodge too (minimal walk to the lift). I'm not sure if it could have gone slightly higher to access Bode's Run but can't complain.

They were doing gondola lift evac training today until like 10:30 (so it opened after that). Makes me wonder what would have happened until now ;)