Accurate, Informative & Trustworthy Snow Reports vs Vague & Questionable Snow Reports - Page 3

AlpineZone

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    I havent read his stuff in a while so I dont know specifically what you're referring to, but one thing I will say is he gets highly optimistic ahead of the key revenue driving time periods for ski areas. Not sure if he receives funding or if he just feels it's his duty as a local to "help out" the economy, etc..., but it's pretty obvious if you've followed his stuff a number of years.
    Just to stop any theories before they start Josh Fox gets no funding in any way for his blog. The guy even buys his own pass. He also doesn't live locally.

As for snow totals the 22" is legit for the storm total. measured with a ruler. My guess is SB is missing something in the totals.

Middlebury reported 18" storm total
    MRG reported 22" storm total (adding 3 days of summit measurements, so the highest "true" number they can show)

Sugarbush either not reporting the total or they got shafted on Thursday by the freezing rain/mix/snow transition line, which anyone paying attention knows was expected to be somewhere close to that location anyway.

I stand behind MRG as among the most informative and least deceptive in the game. Anyone trying to call them out should have been watching their snow stake on webcam -- let's see some proof.

Also Josh Fox mentions global warming all the time I never considered him overly optimistic.. nice to have a relatively detailed forecast for MRG though whether or not it turns out correct
    Last edited by bdfreetuna; Feb 9, 2020 at 7:03 AM.
    2019/2020 season

Berkshire East [12/20, 1/7, 1/10, 1/22, 1/24]
    Bretton Woods [1/3, 1/30]
    Cannon [2/19]
    Gunstock [1/2]
    Mad River Glen [1/29, 2/11]
    Magic [3/1, 3/8]
    Mount Snow [11/14, 11/21, 12/2]
    Pico [2/23]
    Smugglers Notch [2/12]
    Wachusett [12/16]

Back to the OP - so we all know the lift lines were ridiculous yesterday. I looked at Breck snow report and it talked about new snow but it failed to say anything about winds which shut down most of the upper lifts. Not sure if that would have changed anything but some might have gone elsewhere. I guess that is what vague buys you!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

We actually received about the same as MRG. The wind swept the snow stake and that is why the snow reporter said what he did. When we actually measured on the trails we adjusted it. I skied in shin to knee to mid-thigh powder Saturday morning. Best day of the year. We were basically on the snow line so we and those North benefited while everyone South had bad luck. Lots of icing issues on lifts which is a mechanics worst nightmare. We were fortunate on Friday to only have Northridge and Slidebrook delayed more than a few minutes due to icing. But it did take most of the day to get SB de-iced on Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by WinS View Post
    We actually received about the same as MRG. The wind swept the snow stake and that is why the snow reporter said what he did. When we actually measured on the trails we adjusted it. I skied in shin to knee to mid-thigh powder Saturday morning. Best day of the year. We were basically on the snow line so we and those North benefited while everyone South had bad luck. Lots of icing issues on lifts which is a mechanics worst nightmare. We were fortunate on Friday to only have Northridge and Slidebrook delayed more than a few minutes due to icing. But it did take most of the day to get SB de-iced on Friday.
    Thanks for the update and clearing up the significant difference in reporting for SB and MRG

I guess when you are really wrong.... have administrative delete it so no one can see how wrong you really were.

Quote Originally Posted by WWF-VT View Post
    Thanks for the update and clearing up the significant difference in reporting for SB and MRG
    Was up there Thursday night through today. With what I saw and experienced first hand while skiing, I was pretty sure the MRG number was much closer to reality than the SB number. Glad to see SB corrected it today.

Quote Originally Posted by bdfreetuna View Post
    Sugarbush either not reporting the total or they got shafted on Thursday by the freezing rain/mix/snow transition line
    wrong how?

I asked for the thread to be cleaned up, generally. Anyone who witnessed the expletive laden hissy fit this morning knows it was necessary. I repeatedly called to de-escalate and even let you get in plenty of extra "last words". The fact is you called me out incorrectly in the first place, then played the victim as you stooped to levels this forum has rarely if ever seen, including violent speech which IMO should have you banned (and I can see where your handle came from if this is how you present yourself on forums).

As proven by my quote above and Win's corroberation.

If you feel like this response set you off big time again how about take it to PMs and we can have a little chat there instead of further derailing the topic.
    Last edited by bdfreetuna; Feb 9, 2020 at 6:50 PM.
    2019/2020 season

Cannon [2/19]
    Gunstock [1/2]
    Magic [3/1, 3/8]
    Pico [2/23]
    Smugglers Notch [2/12]
    Wachusett [12/16]

Big takeaway here should be Sugarbush doesn't exaggerate their totals, if anything they accidentally measure too little
    2019/2020 season

Cannon [2/19]
    Gunstock [1/2]
    Magic [3/1, 3/8]
    Pico [2/23]
    Smugglers Notch [2/12]
    Wachusett [12/16]

Obviously you were wrong in the area you had "cleaned up" including starting with name calling and generally bullying.

Thread Information