• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Revelstoke lodging recommendations/reviews

Bumpsis

I'm seriously thinking about a trip to Revelstoke. I'd like to get some suggestions on where to stay. I just came back from a trip to Banff and I sooo want to get back to Canadian Rockies, especially to BC, Revy, being high on my wish list. I'm still groovn' on Sunshine and Lake Louise (yeah, Norquay to, sort of), but a trip to Revelstoke would be a blast.

This will not likely happen this season, but I'm hoping it will next year. Planning ahead is not a bad thing. This year Revy is on the Icon pass and if the pass will retain this year's resorts for next year, more than likely, I'm going.

Here are my criteria: No car rental so the hotel has to be on the ski resort shuttle route, need to have breakfast in the hotel (hopefully included). I don't need to slum but don't want to blow money on luxury.
Has anyone stayed at the Cube Hotel in Revelstoke?

Zermatt

Staying at Sutton Place in 2 weeks, I'll let you know.

The mid range lodging options are non existent. It's either Sutton Place or motel rooms downtown. Okay, I think there is one nice hotel downtown, but just hotel rooms and quite expensive.

KustyTheKlown

I did the motel downtown. Perfect for my needs. Cheap, clean enough, bed, shower, tv that I could hook my computer up to

Zermatt

I did the motel downtown. Perfect for my needs. Cheap, clean enough, bed, shower, tv that I could hook my computer up to

Agreed, not saying there is anything wrong with motel/hotel rooms, just as long as you know those are the only options. Staying in a hotel room and skiing doesn't bother me one bit as long as I can put away my clothes. Some people might want some more space.

Before there was a ski area, Revelstoke was just a truck stop on the Trans Canada Highway so that is what the hotels were built for.

Skrn

Just came back from Revelstoke. The drive from downtown to ski resort is short (8 minutes) and the road is very easy to drive. Parking is plenty and no crowds. So there is not much benefit to pay more to stay at ski resort. There are a lot of reasonable priced hotels and vacation rental in downtown. I rent the entire basement of a nice home with 800 sq ft with $140 US a night.

fbrissette

You basically have three options:

- Sutton place: right on the hill ski in ski out, nice pool and hot tub. Nothing to do besides skiing and resting. Limited food options, but units come with fully equiped kitchen.
- Any motel downtown (10-20 minutes drive to the hill depending in traffic. Cheaper, lots of dining and bar options. Have to drive back and forth. Most motels have limited options in terms of kitchen/kitchenettes.
- AirBnB lots of options from walking distance to the hill, downtown and in between.

I've done all three options. Definiteley prefer the third one. For a short stay 3-4 days at Sutton Place is the best. There was even a grocery shopping service (expensive) so that you would arrive with fridge full. Anything longer, I suggest you rent a car, even if you stay at Sutton place.

No matter where you stay, if you can afford it:

- Revy is the world's heliski capital. If you can splurge for a a-day heli skiing, this is the place. Highly recommend Eagle Pass Helisiing. They use small helicopters (4 skiers), so you get unlimited landing options compared to the bigger ones. First tracks absolutely guaranteed. Heck you could ski runs that have never been skied before since their tenures are ridiculously big. Eagle Pass has a tenure of 400000 acres (50 times the size of Whistler/Blackcomb, NA largest ski resort).

- if you are into ski touring, get a guide and spend one day at Roger's pass.

It's complicated to get there, but it is an awesome place.

Be careful on how you fly there. If you transit from Vancouver to Kelowna, make sure that you have at least 2 hours layover in Vancouver. If you miss your flight to Kelowna, it's very likely you'll have to wait several hours to one day for another flight since all flights are fully booked during ski season. Skis are sometimes shuttled by ground so you may get your skis only the next day which sucks if it is a powder day. Other options are to go through Calgary (4.5 hour drive which could turn into 7-8 hours in a snowstorm with possible avy closures in Rogers pass). You can fly direct into Kelowna from Toronto which removes the small commuter flight problems. Not sure if there are viable driving options from US airports.

Note: I have had all of the problems listed above first hand. Avoid flying into Kelowna or give yourself a lot of time in Vancouver. One year, they could only rebook us 36 hours after landing in Vancouver and missing our connection to Kelowna. We ended up renting a car and driving 6 hours to Revy. Best decision ever. The next day was really really deep.

KustyTheKlown

Good post.

A nice thing about coming from Calgary, especially if you are ikon, is you can break up the long drive with days at sunshine or lake Louise, or (not on ikon but incredible) kicking horse. That’s what I did. Calgary>KH>rev>banff>calgary

Skrn

I will 2nd this. If the road is close you can still ski banff/lake louise

Good post.

A nice thing about coming from Calgary, especially if you are ikon, is you can break up the long drive with days at sunshine or lake Louise, or (not on ikon but incredible) kicking horse. That’s what I did. Calgary>KH>rev>banff>calgary

Zermatt

We are flying from NYC to Toronto then onto Kelowna (land at 8pm) and will spend the night in Kelowna before driving to Revelstoke the next day.

As a backup what is the best option if we can't get into Kelowna? Fly to Calgary or Vancouver? Vancouver is farther but avoids the pass. What is the road like from Vancouver?

1dog

Calgary thru Banff - skied all those on Mountain Collective last year - no, two years ago - Sunshine/Loiuse had great snow - not always the case - 3 days at Stoke then back to those others was the way we went - 5 hour drive if you get there early its a scenic splendor better than anything in US Rockies. . . . Revelstoke was everything they write about - more snow, no or low crowds - Kicking Horse is steep but loooong run outs - the others average half the snow of Stoke so . . . .

Rented a beautiful house with 8 guys - $75 p/n/p/p 2 miles up beyond Stoke. Perfect - right on Columbia River. Buy all groceries in Calgary if you can.

the exchange rate made it even sweeter.

Got pulled over going thru National Park just after entering Banff- claimed I didn't know how fast 90 km was - and of course no one was going that slow. . . . . me? 120km - he let us go - he couldn't have been more than 28.

Plead Touron - he liked it.

Bumpsis

Thanks for all the input, everyone - more is still welcome. Extra thanks to fbrissette for more detailed answer. More than likely, I'll plan on flying through Toronto to Kelowna, bus to Revy, grab a hotel downtown that has a ski area shuttle stop - really trying to avoid driving. I know that optimal snow is not always a given, even out west, but we always take these chances and make the best of it. Trip is one year away.

1dog

hike ( short) to summit then off the backside - and of course Kill The Banker - under gondola - its a tough last run of the day though. . . .

trees. . .you like trees? Then you have a lot of choices there too . . . . tight, open, everything in between, not all steep either.

the one chute - Brown Shorts. . .. . yeh, try that.

Zermatt

hike ( short) to summit then off the backside - and of course Kill The Banker - under gondola - its a tough last run of the day though. . . .

trees. . .you like trees? Then you have a lot of choices there too . . . . tight, open, everything in between, not all steep either.

the one chute - Brown Shorts. . .. . yeh, try that.

Thanks. Hopefully I can get my wife into the trees.

Thoughts about taking a drive over to Banff if we want to take an off day? We have an SUV. Google Maps says its about 3.5 hours, not sure I'm up for the 7 hour round trip.

fbrissette

Banff in the winter is NOT worth a 7-hour driving day (not in the summer either IMO). And 7 hours would be in nice driving conditions. You dont want to drive through Rogers Pass twice in one day in snowy conditions stuck behind a truck going uphill at 20mph.

Alternatively, you could drive to Kelowna (2.5 hours one way) and hit a few wineries. Or you could stay in Revy and chill. Hit the hot springs or learn how to throw axes (yep there is a place for that).

Zermatt

Serious question....what's the beer situation up there? All crappy lagers or is there something I should be looking for?

At the lounge in YYC and drinking Canadian and it's not going well.