• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Stevens Pass 7th Heaven Lift

Zermatt

Lift tower snapped today, roping everyone off the lift. Rest of the lift remained intact so hopefully no injuries.

Edit: Check Twitter post from @ckindel

Looks like the rollers on the tower broke and made a tangled mess. Could take all day to get everyone down.

Last edited:

thebigo

I wonder how old that thing is.

1960 install per lift blog, cannot be many center pole lifts left. Remember first time at alta as a kid, these weird chairs with a pole in the middle and no safety bar, old milly lift scared the shit out of me.

Last edited:

KustyTheKlown

wow. ive been on that chair. its a funky little old thing at the top of stevens accessing and over some very steep skiing. what a nightmare.

40737575682_8ff44c5cec_b.jpg

Edd

Weird, I don’t see this on the news.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Slidebrook87

There are actually quite a few center pole doubles left. Riblet built a ton of them. At one time, almost every manufacturer had a center pole carrier that a buyer could opt to install, although Riblet built many more center pole lifts than any other manufacturer. Yan only built center pole lifts at Alta, two of which remain today, and one the other still remains, but at Showdown in Montana.

ceo

There was some place in NH where I skied as a kid (mid-70s) that had one, it stuck in my mind because you had to look over your inside shoulder, like a T-bar, instead of the outside like a conventional chairlift. Can't remember which area. It wasn't Gunstock.

deadheadskier

Staff member
There was some place in NH where I skied as a kid (mid-70s) that had one, it stuck in my mind because you had to look over your inside shoulder, like a T-bar, instead of the outside like a conventional chairlift. Can't remember which area. It wasn't Gunstock.
Temple Mountain had a center pole quad chair

unnamed.jpeg

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

EPB

The Balsams used to have one, too.

Sent from my VS988 using AlpineZone mobile app

thetrailboss

Staff member
I wonder how old that thing is.

In skiing at Discovery, Montana and doing research into other areas in Montana and the PNW, I am stunned as to just how many old Riblets still spin. Some in fact are relocated and on a second career. Most still have center pole chairs. A lot of these are small or even mid-sized local areas that just don't have the $$$ for new stuff. Plus, IIRC, Riblets are pretty well-designed and relatively sturdy.

Zermatt

2.5 hours to evacuate 26 people. Honestly not that horrible, just think if it was a couple hundred people and it was -10.

raisingarizona

2.5 hours to evacuate 26 people. Honestly not that horrible, just think if it was a couple hundred people and it was -10.

Our summit chair broke down two weeks ago. It was practically fully loaded with 230 or so people! Luckily it was sunny and warm and there’s no crazy steep, cliffy terrain below it.

Quietman

Those chairs always made me laugh, looked like they welded two doubles together.

This is what I remember as 2 doubles welded together. Old Temple Mtn NH Borvig quad. I had many rides on that.

temple.jpg

Glad that no one got hurt at Stevens Pass!

raisingarizona

This is what I remember as 2 doubles welded together. Old Temple Mtn NH Borvig quad. I had many rides on that.

View attachment 26161

Glad that no one got hurt at Stevens Pass!

Oh man, I remember riding or seeing one of those somewhere and thinking that it looked like a ghetto af contraption thrown together for the quadchair claim but not having the money to buy a real one.

Slidebrook87

Oh man, I remember riding or seeing one of those somewhere and thinking that it looked like a ghetto af contraption thrown together for the quadchair claim but not having the money to buy a real one.

Those were quite a creation from Borvig! They had two separate safety bars too. Quite a few still exist. I believe there are 3 in New York and the rest are in Pennsylvania and the Midwest.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone