• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Bolton-Whiteface-Sugarbush --> by boat. . .

Whitey

Well, one leg by boat. I have an old friend that does a superbowl thing up near Whiteface every year. Coming from Boston that's kind of a long ride and you drive by a lot of ski areas to get there. One of my other friends and I have been breaking up the the trip to Whiteface and back with stops to ski.

This year we decided to hit Bolton on the way there on Friday. We have ride and ski cards so it was only $50 to ski. We stayed overnight in Burlington in a cheap hotel. Bolton was a great choice as Friday's weather was fantastic. Sunny, no wind. Bolton is an underrated area that is perfect for a mid-week day. When there are no lift lines, the older FG doubles and triples don't seem so slow. They dropped the ropes on upper Tattletale about an hour after we got there. We lapped that several times. They had gotten about 10"s of snow total over the previous 5 days and that really helped. We skied Preacher and Devils Playground in the woods. Great day.

Upper Tattletale:
20200131_103528.jpg

Somewhere in Devils Playground:
20200131_132314.jpg

Somewhere on mtn:
20200131_113451.jpg

To get to Whiteface from there we took the Charlotte VT to Essex NY ferry. 30 minutes & $20, not a bad way to go. Only took 1/2 hr to get to my friends house once we got to Essex. That's me with the Thule box on the roof.
20200131_161209.jpg

Last edited:

Whitey

Day 2 - We skied Whiteface. I didn't take any pictures. Not much to see. Overcast, hard, fast, no bumps or woods to ski. It was good to ski but that kind of skiing doesn't do much for me. Ride & ski just added Whiteface this year so it was nice to get a discount on a Saturday even if it was just 25%

Skipped day 3 and then hit Sugarbush on the way back to Boston on Monday. It was a good, solid day. The ride & ski cards got us 1/2 off lift tix so that helped too. They need more snow as some of the runs are getting boney. But it wasn't that hard/bad to ski around the rocks and stuff and really didn't take that much away from the skiing. Stayed on LP as we just had the 1 day. Paradise & ripcord skied good off of the HG chair. Sunrise and Morning Star off of North Lynx skied good. The liftline trail there was a good example in that from the chair it didn't look too good but when you got on it - not that hard to pick a good line thru the rubble. Moonshine and Spring Fling were good bump runs off of Gaad Peak.

Paradise:
20200203_115931.jpg

20200203_115940.jpg

Somewhere on mtn:
20200203_125433.jpg

Sunrise:
North lynx.jpg

Last edited: