Tahoe tips for 2020 - Page 3

AlpineZone

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

No snow is good for the SFO drive, but once you get there, decent skiing?

Iíve done a 180 on the prior two concerns.

Having had time to research a little more, Iím now less nervous about the SLT food scene. The happy hour scene seems widespread with a lot of options to keep things varied, and am also curious to try out the new Hellís Kitchen that just opened (playing tourist).

But now Iím nervous about the current warm temps and lack of snow. Last July, I had picked next week for historically being the most likely to get the big powder dumps. Doesnít seem in the works for next week.

Recent snow reports say no recent snowfall in several weeks and warn of ďmany icy patches and areas.Ē What does that mean in western skiing terms - expect typical New England hard pack - everything manmade and machine groomed, no off-piste or powder? IE, expect Stratton?

I was tempted to cancel this trip and switch to Telluride from the recent "foot of powder" alerts, but would pay too many cancellation penalties to be worthwhile.

Anyone ski Kirkwood or Heavenly recently? How Ďbadí is it? Do I leave my powder skis at home and take my usual New England 'mixed bag' setup?

I've got a lot of friends back there complaining about the lack of snow. Best bet if it stays dry is find spring kinda snow or rent a car and take a drive east.

Tahoe can get pretty firm in between storm cycles. New England areas handle freeze thaw better imo
    Kirkwood grooms more steep stuff these days though.

Quote Originally Posted by Teleskier View Post
    I was tempted to cancel this trip and switch to Telluride from the recent "foot of powder" alerts, but would pay too many cancellation penalties to be worthwhile.
    What did you committed? If itís just flight, canít you just eat the penalty and postpone the trip till March? Or are you fixed on next week?

Going elsewhere next week will cost you due to being so last minute.

Or you can drive down to Mammoth (though I donít know the current condition there)

I havenít followed the condition development in Tahoe the last few weeks. So canít say what to expect. Did it rain (or melt) all the way to the top? Itís not very typical for that. So you should usually find something soft up high.

I am locked in for dates - as well, was surprised how the cancellation fees quickly added up between flight, car, and hotel.

The prior rain has now dropped from the long-range forecast, it now looks like the temps might drop in a week from the current spring temps.

Will have to play it by ear! Having a car does help. Worst case in a total washout, there's always visiting a saloon in Virginia City.

Tahoe mid-winter is always a bit of a crapshoot. You can also get too much snow and everything closed due to avi risk.

I maybe going there in mid-March. Spring break week. Haven’t committed yet.

Apart from flight, I usually don’t commit to more than just the first night of hotels. How much is the rental car cost?

Sierra snowpack not looking good this year. Article: https://m.sfgate.com/weather/article...w-15064333.php

Kirkwood is under a 50 inch base! That volcanic rock eats skis like a cheese grater.
    I've had more winters out there like this than I care to remember. There always that season that heavenly didn't even hit 100 inches...that was the only truly awful season I had. Kirkwood low tide can be sorta fun and techy with some sunny days. Hopefully march delivers for them

Stupid Alaska Airlines cancelled my direct flight home from SFO. The good news is I can now cancel up until flight time and get all my money/miles back. Trip isn't until April, but it's good to have options. Haven't booked any hotels and can cancel the car for free too. May just end up doing an Eastern Ikon trip instead.

Quote Originally Posted by snoseek View Post
    Kirkwood is under a 50 inch base! That volcanic rock eats skis like a cheese grater.
    Thanks for the heads up warning, I wouldn't have thought to look out for this.

Thread Information