• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Gore NY thread

Killingtime

Just booked a hotel room in North Creek for my annual Gore trip. Glad to see the improvements. Gore always had a unfinished feeling to me, with tons of untapped potential.

andrec10

Hyde Park, NY...Hunter on Weekends in the Winter..
Just booked a hotel room in North Creek for my annual Gore trip. Glad to see the improvements. Gore always had a unfinished feeling to me, with tons of untapped potential.

Had not been to Gore in over 5 years until this past March. What an improvement! Now with the 2 new chairs, not too shabby. My son bought a season pass last March and only used it 2 days before Covid took over. Has all this season.

I will be up there more this winter. And then next winter we will be living near Lake George. I will still visit Huntah at least once a month, since I have been skiing there since 1972.

Cobbold

I always assumed it was called the Dark Side due to the aspect of those trails where they don't tend to see as much sun. I could be wrong though...

Here's an older trail map where in the description for the "High Peaks Area" it refers to it as "The Dark Side":
https://skimap.org/data/320/2109/1448562247.jpg

Thanks cd skier for that info, haven’t skied gore in awhile, think it’s a great place to ski, tend to go vt than ny for weekend ski trips

Tonyr

It would also be nice if Gore had a hotel right at the base of the Mountain. Whiteface gets away without one because of Lake Placid, Gore doesn't have a town like Lake Placid. I would have liked to have seen that 30 mill of state funded investment go into on-mountain accommodations instead but I'm sure the new Lodge is going to be really nice.

KustyTheKlown

It would also be nice if Gore had a hotel right at the base of the Mountain. Whiteface gets away without one because of Lake Placid, Gore doesn't have a town like Lake Placid. I would have liked to have seen that 30 mill of state funded investment go into on-mountain accommodations instead but I'm sure the new Lodge is going to be really nice.

gore is a state owned ski area in the forever wild adirondack park, not a ski resort. keep your bougie shit at your vail properties.

and lake george is to gore as lake placid is to whiteface.

Tonyr

Why would a hotel on the mountain be "bougie" and a 30 mill dollar state of the art Lodge not be? When you give your answer I'll also keep in mind that it's coming from a person who wishes death on people for not agreeing with him......

KustyTheKlown

lol. you're cute and funny.

a new lodge is a public facility that serves all skiers at the mountain. a new hotel is a private facility that only serves rich fucks like yourself and their stinky smelly dirty children. dumb dumb.

gore and whiteface are ski areas in a state park. they are public recreation areas, not ski resorts. go to lake placid and lake george for beds and restaurants. go to okemo for on mountain bullshit. okemo is your speed anyway.

Last edited:

Tonyr

lol. you're cute and funny.

a new lodge is a public facility that serves all skiers at the mountain. a new hotel is a private facility that only serves rich fucks like yourself and their stinky smelly dirty children. dumb dumb.

gore and whiteface are ski areas in a state park. they are public recreation areas, not ski resorts. go to lake placid and lake george for beds and restaurants. go to okemo for on mountain bullshit. okemo is your speed anyway.

I'll give you a free piece of valuable advice. (Which should already be common sense) Wishing death on someone and/or putting down children is never going earn you any respect nor will it get you ahead in life. If an employer or social media site tied to your business ever got ahold of some of the posts you've made here I can almost guarantee that you'd be fired and/or your business would be closed down immediately.

And btw, I hate Okemo. Stowe, Sugarbush, MRG, Jackson, Big Sky, Snowbird are my favorite mountains to ski terrain wise.

Last edited:

trackbiker

No, it would NOT be nice at all. Go to a vail resort if you want on mountain lodging and the Epic crowds that go with it.

Jersey Skier

Room booked and tickets loaded for the next two days. Let's hope this storm delivers.

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
So Gore has 105 trails and just a few are still old school weird. Still, slowly those trails are getting straightened and made to match the other 100. Why is that necessary?

Similarly Gore as a mountain is so different from all the hills with slopeslide. Why does Gore have to be the same as all those mountains?

Gore has great terrain and is incredibly uncrowded. You're not going to get any (or much) new terrain, so hotels, more parking, whatever are going to increase skier density.

ETA: In two years I'll be retired and skiing weekdays, so whatev. But still.

Last edited:

KustyTheKlown

some people want bougie hotels to store their shitty kids in and think public investment should go to their private hotel rooms.

Tonyr

Lord have mercy, I have an opinion that is different from the majority! Well atleast you guys are in good company, the grim reaper and child basher, KustyTheKlown, agrees with your stances about not having a hotel at the base of Gore as well.

More importantly, do you guys have any comments on how he refers to children in his above responses or do you not want to talk about that????