Gore NY thread - Page 5

AlpineZone

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Gore NY thread

So I booked a room for Friday night.
    Last time I skied gore the red gondola was spinning .
    Any suggestions on parking locations starting points or tips?
    Im going to be solo if anyone is looking to take some runs.

Get as close to the the lodge as possible, everything kinda starts there,Iíll be there Saturday and Sunday canít wait, I was there thanksgiving weekend when not much was opened so I canít wait to finally hit it mid season.
    I can attest to the lack of night life, I found almost everything closed at 8 on a Friday night, the Adirondack Pub & Brewery was pretty good, decently crowded probably because it was the only game in town at 8:30

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey View Post
    Apres is for SoVT. Gore skiers get back to the cabin, stoke the fire, eat dinner and plan out the next day before crashing. A bunch of old farts really. We like it that way too.
    Ha, you can say that again! Grew up near there skiing Gore and WF regularly as a youngster/teen. I was impressed how fun Gore was with the newer trails/woods last time there. Great memories of heading back to the communal bunk house to enjoy family/friends/food/antics. Wouldn't have it any other way.

And the little red gondola.. Oh how that thing swung with the winter wind in what seemed a thousand feet up. (everything is higher up when a kid..but it could junk your pants at times). I believe the red Sugarbush pods were the same model.

Sent using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Julius View Post
    Ha, you can say that again! Grew up near there skiing Gore and WF regularly as a youngster/teen. I was impressed how fun Gore was with the newer trails/woods last time there. Great memories of heading back to the communal bunk house to enjoy family/friends/food/antics. Wouldn't have it any other way.

And the little red gondola.. Oh how that thing swung with the winter wind in what seemed a thousand feet up. (everything is higher up when a kid..but it could junk your pants at times). I believe the red Sugarbush pods were the same model.

Sent using Tapatalk
    Yea now the red cabins are strewn all about the local roads on the way up, crazy how tiny they are, weird a single chair doesnít phase me and neither does a standard gondola but being enclosed in something that small would scare the shit out of me

Quote Originally Posted by jerseydaze View Post
    So I booked a room for Friday night.
    Last time I skied gore the red gondola was spinning .
    Any suggestions on parking locations starting points or tips?
    Im going to be solo if anyone is looking to take some runs.
    They SHOULD end up with at least 12-14" Saturday morning from this current lake snow event; they were half way there as of last night. If that's the case, and the Hudson chair is running at the NC ski bowl, I'd park at that lodge. You'll avoid the potential crowd at the main mountain base lodge, AND get dibs on everything off the Hudson, which is usually closed all week, and ungroomed, except for Oak Ridge, 46er (top up to the headwall and Hedson) and the bowl. Moxham is usually my first pick. Usually I don't see more than two dozen skiers. Check Saturday's update.

When that's all been sufficiently shredded, head over to the Burnt ridge via P valley/ Eagle's and turn that lift a few times. From that chair, Tahawus Glades or the new Hedges trail to the base of the North Quad; it's slow but has a good mix of options; worth turning a few times. From the top of that head to the old double via Wood In to explore the top; all trails are awesome, and from there you can work your way Southeast.

I may head there Sunday, not sure yet though; low back is in pretty bad shape. If I do the almost 2 hour drive I'll have to stick to the groomers.

Of course you can just start at the main base and work the mountain the opposite direction; crowds are easily absorbed.

For food and/or Apres; Beck's Tavern (The Gore Mountain Lodge) is a must. It's between the ski bowl and the main access Road on Peaceful Valley Rd.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by air0rmc View Post
    They SHOULD end up with at least 12-14" Saturday morning from this current lake snow event; they were half way there as of last night. If that's the case, and the Hudson chair is running at the NC ski bowl, I'd park at that lodge. You'll avoid the potential crowd at the main mountain base lodge, AND get dibs on everything off the Hudson, which is usually closed all week, and ungroomed, except for Oak Ridge, 46er (top up to the headwall and Hedson) and the bowl. Moxham is usually my first pick. Usually I don't see more than two dozen skiers. Check Saturday's update.

When that's all been sufficiently shredded, head over to the Burnt ridge via P valley/ Eagle's and turn that lift a few times. From that chair, Tahawus Glades or the new Hedges trail to the base of the North Quad; it's slow but has a good mix of options; worth turning a few times. From the top of that head to the old double via Wood In to explore the top; all trails are awesome, and from there you can work your way Southeast.

I may head there Sunday, not sure yet though; low back is in pretty bad shape. If I do the almost 2 hour drive I'll have to stick to the groomers.

Of course you can just start at the main base and work the mountain the opposite direction; crowds are easily absorbed.

For food and/or Apres; Beck's Tavern (The Gore Mountain Lodge) is a must. It's between the ski bowl and the main access Road on Peaceful Valley Rd.

Uhh, hate to break it to you, but I don't see Gore getting maybe more than another inch or so. They don't do well with Lake Effect events. I would expect the 6 they got yesterday to be pretty much it.

I'll be there tomorrow. Forecast busted for McCauley and late flight home tonight on work trip limits my options. Otherwise would schlep up to Whiteface. Should be good in any case.

Quote Originally Posted by Kleetus View Post
    Uhh, hate to break it to you, but I don't see Gore getting maybe more than another inch or so. They don't do well with Lake Effect events. I would expect the 6 they got yesterday to be pretty much it.

I'll be there tomorrow. Forecast busted for McCauley and late flight home tonight on work trip limits my options. Otherwise would schlep up to Whiteface. Should be good in any case.
    This is a unique event, and has re-indexed itself north a bit, so there's still hope. It's not over until that late day burst of sunshine today.

None the less, 6 or 7" is fun too.

If it doesn't pan out, we'll always think it should have.

the lake effect is making an impressive eastward push on the radar, wf and gore should both pick up at least a little more today, and mostly after lifts.

lake effect.jpg
    Last edited by KustyTheKlown; Feb 28, 2020 at 10:42 AM.

We've had snow the last two nights and a good part of today.

Gore is skiing really well right now.

Anyone with recent intel on conditions of the woods. I am hoping most of the woods are currently closed due to being icy, rather than lack of base.

Trying to figure out plan of attack for next month and if I'll be burning or using my Gore days on MyChamplainValley card. If the woods at Gore are pretty much done I'll go to Whiteface instead
    2019/2020 season

Berkshire East [12/20, 1/7, 1/10, 1/22, 1/24]
    Bretton Woods [1/3, 1/30]
    Cannon [2/19]
    Gunstock [1/2]
    Mad River Glen [1/29, 2/11]
    Magic [3/1, 3/8]
    Mount Snow [11/14, 11/21, 12/2]
    Pico [2/23]
    Smugglers Notch [2/12]
    Wachusett [12/16]

Thread Information