Gore NY thread - Page 6

AlpineZone

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Gore NY thread

was there last sunday. they posted 100% open but then had the burnt ridge glades and some others closed. i poached right into them and they were all fine, maybe a little thin towards the bottom of burnt ridge, but i've concluded these were closed bc of patrol staffing, not conditions. no idea how this weeks weather impacted them, but as of last sunday there was plenty of snow in them, especially upper mountain.

Quote Originally Posted by KustyTheKlown View Post
    was there last sunday. they posted 100% open but then had the burnt ridge glades and some others closed. i poached right into them and they were all fine, maybe a little thin towards the bottom of burnt ridge, but i've concluded these were closed bc of patrol staffing, not conditions. no idea how this weeks weather impacted them, but as of last sunday there was plenty of snow in them, especially upper mountain.
    Thanks. Yea my guess is Burnt might be dunzo unless they get proactive on opening but upper mountain should be good for a while.

I'm hoping there's also a temporary ice factor (why Rumor is closed as well I assume) and this stuff will open up again for spring skiing
    2019/2020 season

Berkshire East [12/20, 1/7, 1/10, 1/22, 1/24]
    Bretton Woods [1/3, 1/30]
    Cannon [2/19]
    Gunstock [1/2]
    Mad River Glen [1/29, 2/11]
    Magic [3/1, 3/8]
    Mount Snow [11/14, 11/21, 12/2]
    Pico [2/23]
    Smugglers Notch [2/12]
    Wachusett [12/16]

Pretty common at Gore for glades to be closed due to lack of Patrol. Many a time have I seen stuff closed that is 100% skiable.

Rumor is definitely closed now due to ice factor. Soon as it softens up it'll reopen. Plenty of snow on it. Just be weary if it doesn't soften up until 1 or 2 they may not open it at all that day. As it gets later in the season ski patrol will close stuff earlier due to limited staff. I've been at Gore many times in the past during the spring and Rumor didn't soften until 1 or 2 but never opened due to it getting closer to closing time.

I'm sure the new lift will be a nice upgrade but also sad to see the Dark Side get a bit torn up.

Hyde Park, NY...Hunter on Weekends in the Winter...
    I am not gonna miss that lift at all! Not sure how it even passed inpection!

Quote Originally Posted by andrec10 View Post
    I am not gonna miss that lift at all! Not sure how it even passed inpection!
    Why is this trail/area called the dark side? I don’t see dark side on the trail map

Quote Originally Posted by Cobbold View Post
    Why is this trail/area called the dark side? I don’t see dark side on the trail map

Dark Side Glades are between Hullabaloo and Lower Steilhang.

Good riddance to that Frankenstein lift.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobbold View Post
    I always assumed it was called the Dark Side due to the aspect of those trails where they don't tend to see as much sun. I could be wrong though...

Here's an older trail map where in the description for the "High Peaks Area" it refers to it as "The Dark Side":
    https://skimap.org/data/320/2109/1448562247.jpg

Thanks for the report Harvey! Great work.

Thread Information