• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Gore NY thread

tnt1234

I like Gore the way it is. I like that you have to work to move from pod to pod.
And I like ski areas devoid of hotels or base villages. Think Plattekill as opposed to Stratton.
That's just me.
Yeah, and I also wouldn't trust a state to run a hotel.

But still, not sure a differing opinion deserved that reaction.

Tonyr

I've been a long time moderator before on a website that relates to a whole different topic and give anyone a ton of credit who does that thankless job, it is FAR from easy.

With that being said allowing hate speech, especially when it's directed at children, is not only an incrediblly bad look for the forum but it can come back and bite a website/business in the butt one day if it's left unchecked.

KustyTheKlown

Whats the difference between a new lodge where people have to pay $90 a day to use for a few hours and a new hotel that people have to pay $200 to use overnight?

That’s makes no sense. The lodge charges admission? I presume it’s free to go in and take a piss and that a beer will be about $9

Will there be prostitutes to accompany the hourly lodge rates? Cubbies by the hour?

Last edited:

skiur

I've been a long time moderator before on a website that relates to a whole different topic and give anyone a ton of credit who does that thankless job, it is FAR from easy.

With that being said allowing hate speech, especially when it's directed at children, is not only an incrediblly bad look for the forum but it can come back and bite a website/business in the butt one day if it's left unchecked.
Well I agree that kusty is acting like a 14 year old, but hate speech cause he called kids dirty and stinky? Seriously?

Tonyr

Well I agree that kusty is acting like a 14 year old, but hate speech cause he called kids dirty and stinky? Seriously?
You think putting down children or wishing death on someone is a good look?

Tonyr

Or how about that, those are his own words........
Screenshot_20220203-091925_Chrome.jpg

x10003q

There will never be a NYS run hotel at the base of the Ski Bowl at Gore. There is private land next to the trails (a few of the proposed trails are on the same private land) that is in the Village of North Creek. This property is zoned for development.

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
Hey Harvey, “old school weird” is my favorite kind trail. Any suggestions on what trails to try next time I am at Gore, only been there once before and not much was open.
There's not too much left. Dark Side liftline was classic. Still good but the old school is gone.

They straightened out Lower Steilhang.

Upper Darby. Under the Straightbrook lift. The Ski Bowl.

Gore rocks. Friday was absolutely off the hook.

duck-in-the-trees.jpg

mikec142

Managed to sneak up to Gore this past Wednesday night. Skied by myself on Thursday. It was raining lightly at the bottom, but about a third of the way up the gondola, it turned to snow. I spent the vast majority of Thursday lapping the Straightbrook and High Peak Quads. The lower 2/3rds of Chatiemac were awesome. Hawkeye was a bit slick and Hullabaloo was icy. Open Pit and Upper Darby were a ton of fun. I'm going to guess it snowed 3-4" while I was at the mountain.

I was staying at a buddies house in Warrensburg. From the time I left the mountain to the time I woke up on Friday there was at least another foot on top of my car. Friday skiing was epic! There was a ridiculous amount of soft powder everywhere. Started with a run down Twister...couldn't believe how much snow was there. I'm going to guess that they groomed in the early evening on Thursday and a ton of snow came down afterwards. Spent a lot of time in the Burnt Ridge Glades. Abernaki and Barkeater. I'd never done those and I was blown away. I love the low angle glades that allow me to get in a groove and link 15-20 turns. Skied until the closing bell and was exhausted. It was still snowing when we left.

Saturday I woke up to another 1-2" on the car and a crisp, bright blue sky. Got to the lot and was stunned at how many cars were there already. I've never seen the lot that full. And that said, the mountain didn't feel crowded. The Burnt Ridge glades were so fun the day before that we went back and lapped them for a while. Did a bunch of groomer runs on Showcase, Echo, Twister, etc. Didn't spend as much time up top as we had gotten a ton of those areas the two days prior.

All in all, three pretty incredible days and some of the best I've had at Gore. I'm going to guess the total snowfall was around 18-20"...maybe more.

As to the feel of Gore...my best friend's family has had a house in the area for 40 years and I've been going with them on trips for most of those years. Gore definitely has that old school feel. The picnic tables in the lodge, the slow fixed grip chairs, the lack of lodging in the area and the lack of apres as well. And you know what? I don't care. The state has invested a ton of money over the years to improve the lift system (could still do more), improve the snow making, prune glades, add terrain (burnt ridge) and add onto the main lodge. Yet somehow it's retained its old school charm. A full price ticket is $105. I think Gore blows away anything in southern Vermont. One complaint...there's a lot of traversing that needs to be done. Cloud runout. Traverse from the top of Straightbrook to the top of High Peaks. The traverse to Burnt Ridge. But whatever. Nobody's perfect.

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
Agree ^^ 98%. One thing about this...

there's a lot of traversing that needs to be done. Cloud runout. Traverse from the top of Straightbrook to the top of High Peaks. The traverse to Burnt Ridge.

When you have four distinct mountains, that aren't bumps on a ridge, you will have flats in between. Back when Gore was just the East Side and the North Side there was no traversing, but the mountain was 100 acres. I'll take the full 500.

mikec142

Agree ^^ 98%. One thing about this...

When you have four distinct mountains, that aren't bumps on a ridge, you will have flats in between. Back when Gore was just the East Side and the North Side there was no traversing, but the mountain was 100 acres. I'll take the full 500.

Oh man...your blog post is great! Thanks for the history.

To be clear, every mountain has it's quirks. It's part of the charm. Sugarbush is my go to mountain and the 100 yard climb from the top of Gate House to North Lynx or Slidebrook gets me everytime (would have been so easily solved by putting in one more lift tower). The poling from the top of Heaven's Gate to get to Jester or the bottom of the summit quad over to the top of Cruiser or Northstar.

Bottom line is that Gore skied great this past week!

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
Thank you man. Thanks for reading it.

You could be a Gore skier, with a little work! :)

Things that are easy to access get skied out. You can't really lap Tahawas Trees at Gore and they stay fresh for along time. I've never seen a snowboarder at Burnt Ridge. On and on!

Last edited:

KustyTheKlown

when the adks actually get snow gore is the best within 4 hours of NYC but its really neck and neck with magic for me. its not even a contest with stratton and mount snow tho.

mikec142

Thank you man. Thanks for reading it.

You could be a Gore skier, with a little work! :)

Things that are easy to access get skied out. You can't really lap Tahawas Trees at Gore and the stay fresh for along time. I've never seen a snowboarder at Burnt Ridge. On and on!
While I've skied at Gore plenty, I definitely discover something new everytime I go. I need to get back soon.

mikec142

when the adks actually get snow gore is the best within 4 hours of NYC but its really neck and neck with magic for me. its not even a contest with stratton and mount snow tho.
I've never skied Magic (heard great things) but I agree with everything else you've said. I love to ski no matter where it is. But I live in NJ and I cringe everytime someone tells me how great it is to ski at Okemo.