Gore NY thread - Page 2

AlpineZone

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Gore NY thread

Quote Originally Posted by JimG. View Post
    46er is an expert trail that takes good advantage of the cliffy nature of ADK Mountains.
    Is there mandatory air on 46er ? I’ve only been to Gore once and didn’t make it over to Burnt Ridge or Little Gore. From the trail map it seems like an awful lot of traversing is necessary to get over there and back. Any suggestions on the best way to move around the resort ?

Quote Originally Posted by urungus View Post
    Is there mandatory air on 46er ? I’ve only been to Gore once and didn’t make it over to Burnt Ridge or Little Gore. From the trail map it seems like an awful lot of traversing is necessary to get over there and back. Any suggestions on the best way to move around the resort ?
    To get to North Creek or Burnt from Gore proper (the saddle for instance), go down to the bottom of the North Quad then follow Pipeline. You'll eventually reach a fork, left for NC and right for BR. Pretty easy but ya a bit of skating and poling involved. Not that bad. And worth it regardless of your choice. To head back, ride the BR quad to the top and head down Tahawus glade back to the North Quad which will bring you back to the saddle.

Depends on how much snow there is whether there is mandatory air on 46er or not. Usually nothing major there are work arounds too.

Quote Originally Posted by JimG. View Post
    To get to North Creek or Burnt from Gore proper (the saddle for instance), go down to the bottom of the North Quad then follow Pipeline. You'll eventually reach a fork, left for NC and right for BR. Pretty easy but ya a bit of skating and poling involved. Not that bad. And worth it regardless of your choice. To head back, ride the BR quad to the top and head down Tahawus glade back to the North Quad which will bring you back to the saddle.
    Thanks for the tips. For getting to Burnt Ridge, how does Pipeline compare to Twister -> Twister’s Little Sister -> The Gully -> Cedars Traverse ?

How tight are the Tahawus Glades? I don’t mind if it’s steep but I am not good in dense forest or cliffs. It looks like the most direct way from Burnt Ridge to Little Gore is also through the glades, either Abenaki or Barkeater. How are they ?

For getting to Burnt Ridge, how does Pipeline compare to Twister -> Twister’s Little Sister -> The Gully -> Cedars Traverse ?
    This way is easier than Pipeline. Just keep your speed up on The Gully and you won't have to pole much if at all.

Quote Originally Posted by trackbiker View Post
    This way is easier than Pipeline. Just keep your speed up on The Gully and you won't have to pole much if at all.
    Agreed.

Got out for basically first time this season post back injury last weekend. Minus the lift debacle upon opening Saturday AM Gore skied great. Burnt Ridge was skiing awesome on Sunday, especially Boreas.

I'll be back out there again this weekend.

Gore vs whiteface. What do you guys think?

19-20: 21 days

Quote Originally Posted by Icecoastmatt View Post
    Gore vs whiteface. What do you guys think?

I prefer Gore, but Whiteface doesn't suck, it's a BIG mountain. It can be brutally cold, and they don't call it Iceface for nothing. Notorious for wind holds after big dumps. If you do go to Whiteface, check for Canadian holidays. It's close enough to Canada to draw from Montreal. I've been burned by both, wind holds, and unbeknownst Canadian holidays.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using AlpineZone mobile app
    Leave no turn unstoned!

Quote Originally Posted by Cornhead View Post
    I prefer Gore, but Whiteface doesn't suck, it's a BIG mountain. It can be brutally cold, and they don't call it Iceface for nothing. Notorious for wind holds after big dumps. If you do go to Whiteface, check for Canadian holidays. It's close enough to Canada to draw from Montreal. I've been burned by both, wind holds, and unbeknownst Canadian holidays.

Great advice. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Icecoastmatt View Post
    Great advice. Thanks

They're both top notch mountains but people in New England never get there for the same reason it took me forever to ski in NH and ME. You have to pass by alot of other top notch mountains to get there, which is kinda hard to do.

Leave no turn unstoned!

How tight are the Tahawus Glades? I don’t mind if it’s steep but I am not good in dense forest or cliffs. It looks like the most direct way from Burnt Ridge to Little Gore is also through the glades, either Abenaki or Barkeater. How are they ?
    Here's my TR from last year which should give you some idea.
    https://forums.alpinezone.com/showth...e-of-2-seasons
    Gore's glades are terrific, whether on Burnt Ridge or up in Straight Brook/High Peaks. They say Cirque is the longest glade in the east & I believe them. Haven't gotten over to Little Gore but plan to next month.
    The densest glades would be the very top of Chatiemac Glades, but then they open up beautifully just below that- which fortunately you can access off of Chatiemac.
    If it's snowin' I'm goin'

Thread Information