Gore NY thread

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gore NY thread

Gore NY thread

Skiing Sat Feb 9 2020
    Snow all over the place
    Most lifts where down to lunch because of electricity failure because of little ice a lot new snow
    Every thing was white
    Best day for so far out 3 at Gore this year
    Much warmer than predicted. Sun was awesome staying out to
    1 of my favorite hills for sure
    Overall very lovely views yesterday

They finally opened up most of the glades (having only one or none open all season so far).

Good news for me as I'm planning either 2 or 3 ski days there before the season's up. Seems like March is the safest bet for trip planning up that way. My first time there was last year (thanks MyChamplainValley card) and I really, really liked it. Took a little while to figure out how to navigate there.

I'll wait for Burnt Mountain glades to open... I could ski those all day. Barkeater, Abenaki, Circque and Boreas are simply the best moderate-angle lengthy tree skiing runs I've encountered.
    2019/2020 season

Berkshire East [12/20, 1/7, 1/10, 1/22, 1/24]
    Bretton Woods [1/3, 1/30]
    Cannon [2/19]
    Gunstock [1/2]
    Mad River Glen [1/29, 2/11]
    Magic [3/1, 3/8]
    Mount Snow [11/14, 11/21, 12/2]
    Pico [2/23]
    Smugglers Notch [2/12]
    Wachusett [12/16]

The drive down 73 to 87 from LP yesterday was breath taking.

Gore was awesome yesterday despite the electrical issues and closed terrain.

Lapped the summit area trails and trees/liftlines in the morning and lower mountain glades in the afternoon. Even Lower Steilhang was open. Really a great day didn't want to stop.

Hoping for some more snow tonight through tomorrow, want to head back Tues.

Quote Originally Posted by bdfreetuna View Post
    They finally opened up most of the glades (having only one or none open all season so far).

Good news for me as I'm planning either 2 or 3 ski days there before the season's up. Seems like March is the safest bet for trip planning up that way. My first time there was last year (thanks MyChamplainValley card) and I really, really liked it. Took a little while to figure out how to navigate there.

I'll wait for Burnt Mountain glades to open... I could ski those all day. Barkeater, Abenaki, Circque and Boreas are simply the best moderate-angle lengthy tree skiing runs I've encountered.
    Glades over at North Creek and 46er not to be missed.

Any reason they have not opened the glades on Burnt Mountain with all the new snow?

Quote Originally Posted by Oncefast View Post
    Any reason they have not opened the glades on Burnt Mountain with all the new snow?
    I think burnt was open.
    Probably only close d because of electricity issues with big ice that hit them be my guess.
    Just a guess though.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottySkis View Post
    I think burnt was open.
    Probably only close d because of electricity issues with big ice that hit them be my guess.
    Just a guess though.
    Burnt Ridge and North Creek both inaccessible from Gore; NC triple was down as was BR quad. Only NC beginner area open over there.

On Saturday anyway, no idea about today.

How are the Ski Bowl Glades? I notice they're one of the couple double diamond glades on the map. Wasn't open when I went there last year. Ski Bowl in general worth spending some time at?
    2019/2020 season

Berkshire East [12/20, 1/7, 1/10, 1/22, 1/24]
    Bretton Woods [1/3, 1/30]
    Cannon [2/19]
    Gunstock [1/2]
    Mad River Glen [1/29, 2/11]
    Magic [3/1, 3/8]
    Mount Snow [11/14, 11/21, 12/2]
    Pico [2/23]
    Smugglers Notch [2/12]
    Wachusett [12/16]

Ski Bowl Glade one of the best at Gore. Steep and fairly long. JJ's is fun also.

46er is an expert trail that takes good advantage of the cliffy nature of ADK Mountains.

North Creek worth it for those areas but it is small in general. The triple is glacially slow as well. But worth it for the very old-school feel.

Thread Information