• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Gore NY thread

ScottySkis

Skiing Sat Feb 9 2020
Snow all over the place
Most lifts where down to lunch because of electricity failure because of little ice a lot new snow
Every thing was white
Best day for so far out 3 at Gore this year
Much warmer than predicted. Sun was awesome staying out to
1 of my favorite hills for sure
Overall very lovely views yesterday

bdfreetuna

They finally opened up most of the glades (having only one or none open all season so far).

Good news for me as I'm planning either 2 or 3 ski days there before the season's up. Seems like March is the safest bet for trip planning up that way. My first time there was last year (thanks MyChamplainValley card) and I really, really liked it. Took a little while to figure out how to navigate there.

I'll wait for Burnt Mountain glades to open... I could ski those all day. Barkeater, Abenaki, Circque and Boreas are simply the best moderate-angle lengthy tree skiing runs I've encountered.

JimG.

Staff member
Gore was awesome yesterday despite the electrical issues and closed terrain.

Lapped the summit area trails and trees/liftlines in the morning and lower mountain glades in the afternoon. Even Lower Steilhang was open. Really a great day didn't want to stop.

Hoping for some more snow tonight through tomorrow, want to head back Tues.

JimG.

Staff member
They finally opened up most of the glades (having only one or none open all season so far).

Good news for me as I'm planning either 2 or 3 ski days there before the season's up. Seems like March is the safest bet for trip planning up that way. My first time there was last year (thanks MyChamplainValley card) and I really, really liked it. Took a little while to figure out how to navigate there.

I'll wait for Burnt Mountain glades to open... I could ski those all day. Barkeater, Abenaki, Circque and Boreas are simply the best moderate-angle lengthy tree skiing runs I've encountered.

Glades over at North Creek and 46er not to be missed.

Oncefast

Any reason they have not opened the glades on Burnt Mountain with all the new snow?

ScottySkis

Any reason they have not opened the glades on Burnt Mountain with all the new snow?

I think burnt was open.
Probably only close d because of electricity issues with big ice that hit them be my guess.
Just a guess though.

JimG.

Staff member
I think burnt was open.
Probably only close d because of electricity issues with big ice that hit them be my guess.
Just a guess though.

Burnt Ridge and North Creek both inaccessible from Gore; NC triple was down as was BR quad. Only NC beginner area open over there.

On Saturday anyway, no idea about today.

bdfreetuna

How are the Ski Bowl Glades? I notice they're one of the couple double diamond glades on the map. Wasn't open when I went there last year. Ski Bowl in general worth spending some time at?

JimG.

Staff member
Ski Bowl Glade one of the best at Gore. Steep and fairly long. JJ's is fun also.

46er is an expert trail that takes good advantage of the cliffy nature of ADK Mountains.

North Creek worth it for those areas but it is small in general. The triple is glacially slow as well. But worth it for the very old-school feel.

urungus

46er is an expert trail that takes good advantage of the cliffy nature of ADK Mountains.

Is there mandatory air on 46er ? I’ve only been to Gore once and didn’t make it over to Burnt Ridge or Little Gore. From the trail map it seems like an awful lot of traversing is necessary to get over there and back. Any suggestions on the best way to move around the resort ?

JimG.

Staff member
Is there mandatory air on 46er ? I’ve only been to Gore once and didn’t make it over to Burnt Ridge or Little Gore. From the trail map it seems like an awful lot of traversing is necessary to get over there and back. Any suggestions on the best way to move around the resort ?

To get to North Creek or Burnt from Gore proper (the saddle for instance), go down to the bottom of the North Quad then follow Pipeline. You'll eventually reach a fork, left for NC and right for BR. Pretty easy but ya a bit of skating and poling involved. Not that bad. And worth it regardless of your choice. To head back, ride the BR quad to the top and head down Tahawus glade back to the North Quad which will bring you back to the saddle.

Depends on how much snow there is whether there is mandatory air on 46er or not. Usually nothing major there are work arounds too.

urungus

To get to North Creek or Burnt from Gore proper (the saddle for instance), go down to the bottom of the North Quad then follow Pipeline. You'll eventually reach a fork, left for NC and right for BR. Pretty easy but ya a bit of skating and poling involved. Not that bad. And worth it regardless of your choice. To head back, ride the BR quad to the top and head down Tahawus glade back to the North Quad which will bring you back to the saddle.

Thanks for the tips. For getting to Burnt Ridge, how does Pipeline compare to Twister -> Twister’s Little Sister -> The Gully -> Cedars Traverse ?

How tight are the Tahawus Glades? I don’t mind if it’s steep but I am not good in dense forest or cliffs. It looks like the most direct way from Burnt Ridge to Little Gore is also through the glades, either Abenaki or Barkeater. How are they ?

trackbiker

For getting to Burnt Ridge, how does Pipeline compare to Twister -> Twister’s Little Sister -> The Gully -> Cedars Traverse ?

This way is easier than Pipeline. Just keep your speed up on The Gully and you won't have to pole much if at all.

Kleetus

This way is easier than Pipeline. Just keep your speed up on The Gully and you won't have to pole much if at all.

Agreed.

Got out for basically first time this season post back injury last weekend. Minus the lift debacle upon opening Saturday AM Gore skied great. Burnt Ridge was skiing awesome on Sunday, especially Boreas.

I'll be back out there again this weekend.

Cornhead

Gore vs whiteface. What do you guys think?

19-20: 21 days
I prefer Gore, but Whiteface doesn't suck, it's a BIG mountain. It can be brutally cold, and they don't call it Iceface for nothing. Notorious for wind holds after big dumps. If you do go to Whiteface, check for Canadian holidays. It's close enough to Canada to draw from Montreal. I've been burned by both, wind holds, and unbeknownst Canadian holidays.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using AlpineZone mobile app

Icecoastmatt

I prefer Gore, but Whiteface doesn't suck, it's a BIG mountain. It can be brutally cold, and they don't call it Iceface for nothing. Notorious for wind holds after big dumps. If you do go to Whiteface, check for Canadian holidays. It's close enough to Canada to draw from Montreal. I've been burned by both, wind holds, and unbeknownst Canadian holidays.

Great advice. Thanks

Cornhead

Great advice. Thanks

They're both top notch mountains but people in New England never get there for the same reason it took me forever to ski in NH and ME. You have to pass by alot of other top notch mountains to get there, which is kinda hard to do.

legalskier

How tight are the Tahawus Glades? I don’t mind if it’s steep but I am not good in dense forest or cliffs. It looks like the most direct way from Burnt Ridge to Little Gore is also through the glades, either Abenaki or Barkeater. How are they ?

Here's my TR from last year which should give you some idea.
https://forums.alpinezone.com/showthread.php/141691-Gore-3-23-amp-24-19-a-tale-of-2-seasons
Gore's glades are terrific, whether on Burnt Ridge or up in Straight Brook/High Peaks. They say Cirque is the longest glade in the east & I believe them. Haven't gotten over to Little Gore but plan to next month.
The densest glades would be the very top of Chatiemac Glades, but then they open up beautifully just below that- which fortunately you can access off of Chatiemac.