• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Burke Mountain - 2/8/2020

millerm277

Date(s) Skied: 2/8/2020

Resort or Ski Area: Burke Mountain

Trip Report: Too cold to want to take pics, unfortunately.

So, I had never been there before and yesterday seemed like a prime opportunity. Their $45 ticket deal for people with a pass to another mountain is a nice policy.

Arrived right around opening to the Mid-Burke area.

I was hoping for a powder day, but most of the loose stuff did set up overnight. Some of the ungroomed runs wound up with a hard crust of sorts. More grip than actual ice, but it sounds like you're breaking glass every time you turn.

However, there was good cover on everything I tried on the mountain and there was plenty of softer snow and nice conditions to be found as well.

I was pleasantly surprised with the overall terrain. The wide cruisers were nicely configured to have some character, and there were many of what I would dub "classic New England" runs on the hill. Narrower, twisty, some tree islands and splits, that sort of thing.

Liftlines peaked at maybe a couple minutes (T-Bar not running due to snowmaking on Warren's), but quickly died back down and were managed well.

Other commentary:

- The Mid-Burke lodge/tavern is a somewhat decrepit shack that looks out of place with the hotel thing below, but it does have character. I also wholeheartedly approve of nice craft IPAs for $5.

- Never ventured down to the lower lift, didn't look of interest.

- I approve of anywhere where I can park and have a flat 2 minute walk to the lift.

- Nice, pleasant crowd.

- Lyndonville and East Burke were a bit more lively than I expected in terms of businesses/food options, I don't drive through there often.

- The place could really use better signage. There's a lot of spots where it's not very clear what trails are in front of you/where they're going, at least to a new visitor. On a related note: The ski shop where you need to go to buy lift tickets if you park mid-mountain is also not well marked.

louisemann

Can you comment further on the lift ticket? It's a far ride and not much else around so it's not on my radar BUT I hear it's a hidden gem. Where to stay?

louisemann

Ok so if I have a lift ticket to another mountain, I show that ticket and pay 45.00 more to ski Burke? Hmmm...not seeing the deal...