• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Skiing Alone ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terry

I ski alone when I night ski and ski with my wife and friends on weekends. I enjoy both. At night I go where and when I want and crank up the tunes. Weekends we all ski together and push each other and have great conversations. I enjoy both for different reasons.

NYDB

Welp you gents convinced me ... thank for the input

I'm going to do the two nights alone. Coming from the Philly burbs so I'm thinking no more north of Killington. Prefer driving to Sth Vt but it look like a high probability of sleet/freezing rain on Thurs for those Mts

I'd definitely hit killington if your alone. Many hot italian jersey babes at the wobbly

jimmywilson69

I ski alone all of the time I like it. I'll venture into trees, but I'm not one who's bombing tree runs anyways. I always am mindful in that situation of not getting in over my head literally and figuratively.

kendo

Have solo skied for many years from NY to VT to CO to Europe and really enjoy my time on the mtn. Great way to get a ton of skiing in. Spend the day exploring all over the mtn with no compromises or just lapping something that's skiing really well. Also like to be on or near 1st chair - can be a challenge when out with others.

mikec142

I ski alone about 50% of the time these days. A few years back I never did it, I would always have my family join me or a couple of friends. These days, my wife doesn't ski as much and my kids who really enjoy skiing also enjoy their weekend social lives. So I found myself staying home on great ski weekends because I didn't have a crew. So a few years ago when my wife made shopping plans in NYC with the kids and asked if I wanted to go with them, I thought about it for one second and said nope, I'm going to VT.

Ended up with a great day at Stowe and another great day at Sugarbush. That sold me. Now I go several solo weekends a year and it has almost doubled my days on the mountain. While I would prefer skiing with friends and family, I tend to get more skiing in when I go alone.

abc

Why don’t all you people on here who ski alone ski with each other instead? Novel idea, I know. Imagine having these conversations in person and not as an anonymous name on a computer screen??
Many of us DO from time to time!

Hardly a "novel ideal". Have you skied with anyone from this board?

Last edited:

TyWebb

I'd definitely hit killington if your alone. Many hot italian jersey babes at the wobbly
Haha ... wife separated from me recently so this would be great. Need the 40-50 crowd which is more my speed.

Any spots to hit on Wed and Thurs evening?

TyWebb

But, but, but...

your son doesn’t need hos finger for skiing!
Haha true but one spill, or even discomfort while skiing, and I will be doing what so many have wrote abt why they enjoy skiing alone. All I need is for it to be bothering him and we need to take a long break or end the day entirely from a fall.

This thread actually has me excited to try this out.

Ski2LiveLive2Ski

Almost always ski alone unless skiing with my kids. Some times friends come and we ride in cars and lifts and eat lunch together, but skiing is fundamentally a solo activity with no pairs events.

Griswold

Many of us DO from time to time!

Hardly a "novel ideal". Have you skied with anyone from this board?

I don’t ski alone but have asked on a few occasions if anyone will be at a certain mountain when was there. Was greeted with crickets at the time only to see multiple skiers posting trip reports at that mountain on that day. I certainly don’t need or want to ski with anyone on here if others aren’t interested but I find it a little strange how many hours some spend on here talking to strangers with not much interest in actually meeting and skiing.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

thetrailboss

Staff member
Skiing alone can be fun. You can hit the slopes at the time of your choosing, ski only the trails you want to ski, can take a break whenever you want, take advantage of the singles line, etc. If you want to head into the woods, you would need to find a companion or two at the resort for safety’s sake.

Exactly. I love the flexibility. It is a nice break from parenting. But I also love skiing with family and friends.

SnowRock

I try to get a at least 20 days a season and work and live right outside of NYC… so for me that means about 65% solo. No kids yet, so have been able to do that pretty consistently and that includes quite a few 1-2 night solo VT trips, though a new pup is cramping my style this season. I love those, especially if it is a storm chase. I do have a few friends of friends in Stowe that I can hit up if I want a partner and I’m up there.

I’ve planned “west” trips before for a group with a fall back of me being fine with solo if my friends flaked, but that hasn’t happened. Always have had at least 1 come through. Have done a solo mission out west once or twice when tacking on a day to a work trip.

It's also pretty easy to start convo with people while solo and take a few laps if you want… and same goes for ski bars if solo. And I’m not someone who is super outgoing or needs to talk but have met and ridden with a few cool folks over the years.

Glenn

I ski with my wife. I'll occasionally take a solo run if I go into the woods or a bump run. But 99% of the time, it's with her.

rocks860

My girlfriend refuses to ski with me and I usually take day trips on my own so I ski alone a lot. Doesn’t bother me at all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bdfreetuna

80% of my days are alone and while I'd like my wife to get out there more often (tough schedule), and one day my kid will be on skis, I love the time alone and crush vert way quicker on my own.

I don't like being subjected to the will of others when I'm skiing. I find time is wasted going with friends and skiing is too expensive and important to me to dick around, show up late, and disagree if we're going to ski this or that.

It's a good family activity though.

TyWebb

Great 24+ hours so far.

Last night and 2night at the bar people are so friendly, bartenders and customers. On the lifts, every chair great conversation especially with the locals. I don’t have an app that keeps track but I probably skied more in 7 hours thn i ever have. No wait time and ski, lift rinse repeat. Just explored Killington and was only conscious of where I needed to be around 245.

Not sure what I was so concerned ant and strongly thinking of one the super passes for next season. Actually more social and great mix of alone time thn when I fish or golf alone.

And kudos to whomever suggested skiing with music in thread. Love being in tune with the outdoors but the end of the day did some time with some good phunky tunes .. turning to tunes is phun

Looking forward to tomorrow

SnowbirdDevotee

I've done it all. Many big trips with friends, and at times there were problems!!! Two short trips to Europe, solo. I had a blast blasting all over those mtns trying to do as many lifts and runs as possible in one day. Then I've met some pretty good people online asking for a local to meet-up. One guy was another former US World Cup skier (many yrs ago), I chased him all day. Then another guys said he'd take me out for a few runs at his big western mtn and we ended up skiing for 2 days. Last month I was in Grand Targhee with perfect timing for big dump, I ended up skiing with 3 different guys I met on the lifts, i had good company my same age. It's definitely more fun skiing with someone with similar skill set where you can appreciate the mtn and skiing together, esp if it is a special day with good conditions, but no one wants to be slowed down by someone they don't know for more than a run or two.

NYDB

I love going alone. I spend so much time with the family that sometimes it is nice to do max vert fast laps all day by yourself. Not complaining, but just the mental energy devoted to making sure the wife and kids are having fun and stopping and bathroom breaks and 30 minute lunches and bathroom breaks and I'm cold and my feet hurt, etc.

Going single a bit is A ok in my book.

Status
Not open for further replies.