Skiing Alone ...

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Skiing Alone ...

Thoughts on it?

Short story ... scheduled a 3 day ski trip with my son for Wed, Thurs and Fri and was waiting on conditions to decide Sth Vt or Killington. He messed up his finger and hand while playing B-ball so he will not be skiing. I've golfed and fished alone for a few hours to a day but have never skied alone b4. Strongly thinking of heading up to ski Thurs and Friday.

Anyone ski alone, took a small (or large) road trip alone to ski, etc, etc?

Skiing alone can be fun. You can hit the slopes at the time of your choosing, ski only the trails you want to ski, can take a break whenever you want, take advantage of the singles line, etc. If you want to head into the woods, you would need to find a companion or two at the resort for safety’s sake.

Quote Originally Posted by TyWebb View Post
    Thoughts on it?

Short story ... scheduled a 3 day ski trip with my son for Wed, Thurs and Fri and was waiting on conditions to decide Sth Vt or Killington. He messed up his finger and hand while playing B-ball so he will not be skiing. I've golfed and fished alone for a few hours to a day but have never skied alone b4. Strongly thinking of heading up to ski Thurs and Friday.

Anyone ski alone, took a small (or large) road trip alone to ski, etc, etc?
    I love to ski solo. When I retired and started skiing mostly weekdays I thought I would dislike it; thought I'd be lonely and bored. My kids are mostly grown up and busy with careers and college. My wife isn't a skier, certainly not a 50 day a season crazy like me. Bless her she has no issues with me going when I want. But going alone sounded unappealing.

But I found that skiing alone means the only ski agenda for the day is mine. No rushing here or there to meet someone who wants to ski early/late. No waiting for slower skiers and no keeping up with folks who want to destroy the mountain and leave no doubt they are king of the hill. No more answering "which run should we ski next?". Listening to entire albums on my chips and never having to turn my tunes off. And meeting new folks on lift/mountain that I might otherwise not talk to because I'm with others. Some days I stay solo, other days I meet new ski buddies and ski a few runs with them.

It's all up to me and I'm loving it right now.

Ditto the above, I like skiing alone... no waiting for slower companions, no taking breaks when you don't want to, etc.

Try it and, if you don't like it, don't do it again....BUT, you might just find you like it, and it might increase your numbers of ski days in the future.

Weekends are a good time to ski alone with lots of other people . You can have the relative safety of having others around if you crash yet rip the singles line and get some good vert . Sugarloaf AZ Summit I left my group for a good bit of the day. I did wander off in the glades but had my cell phone with a backup battery .

A bunch of years ago I skied Tuckerman alone but stayed close to other people . Long drive from Pa. though, my group came up the next day but I had looked at the weather and the day before was going to be better . It was !

I ski alone quite a bit. As others have said no bending to others wants and needs. Just lost my ski buddy( 16 yo son) to a concussion for a few weeks and my wife is sick. I have other friends I’ll try skiing with over the next few weeks and my 18 yo college son will be around this week. If none what to ski I’ll go it alone.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone
    2010/11 - 30days 2011/12 - 29days 2012/13 - 40 days 2013/14 - 39 days 2014/15 - 42 days
    2015/2016 -27 days 2016/17 - 51 days 2017/18 - 57 days 2018/19 - 75 days

I always enjoy skiing alone alone even if I skiing with my friends on here

I used to ski alone more often but I still do it a handful of times a year, usually when I ski close to home like Gunstock or Crotched. I prefer skiing with a few friends. A group of 4 is about right.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

I ski alone quite a bit. I pretty much agree with much of what others have said. I like having sole discretion over what run to ski, when to start, when to stop, when to take a break, etc. Woods are the one exception where I like having people with me. Otherwise if I'm skiing on trails, I have no problems skiing alone.

Yeah trees are a bit of an issue alone but I'll just stick to inbounds trees in those cases. Plenty to keep me happy there.

And if I were to go to a place with a lot of backcountry stuff I'd hire a guide with or without having others with me.

Thread Information