• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Need recommendation for weekend day trips in the Berkshires

New Daddy

I’m spending this weekend near Lenox with a friend’s family.
They put me in charge of entertaining the younger kids on the hills.
Google maps show 4 possible destinations - Jiminy Peak, Bousquet, Ski Butternut and Catamount.
The kids are all green skiers, with some better than others but no solid blue skiers.
I’d also like to - if at all possible on the President’s Day weekend - avoid crowds!
Terrain and trails are not a priority.

Can folks chime in please?

urungus

Bousquet because it’s the closest and Butternut because it’s low key and good for beginners. Ski Blandford is also reasonably close but can get crowded since it is close to Springfield.

Bosco DaSkia

Catamount has a lot of good beginner runs, plus you get to ski from one state to another. Kids love that shit. Take Ridge Run off the top to cross from ny to ma and then cross back again in the base area.

55686FF3-95A0-49B0-BE23-CC236E244669.jpeg

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Catamount has great beginner terrain and "challenging" terrain. The intermediate terrain has never really skied well to me. It's either narrow and shaded/icy or very short vertical (all those trails on the lower mountain double).

Butternut has far better intermediate terrain and a fair assortment of green trails. It will be crowded, moreso at Butternut than Catamount.

Killingtime

I was at Catamount this past weekend and some of the beginner terrain was closed due to lack of snow but that may have changed since Saturday. All very solid recommendations from other posts though. I'd keep an eye on the trail reports of each of them to see who has the most green runs open.