• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Gunstock Night / Big Snow Dome Day

Bostonian

Date: 2/14 and 2/15

Conditions: Machine Groomed and Man made

Report: In 24 hours, I was able to ski in the evening at Gunstock and also the Indoor Ski Area, Big Snow. With it at zero last night, I only took a few runs down Tiger, Cannonball, Phelps, and Smith. Before it was too cold. First night skiing trip since last year and was glad to do so!

Today, as we made our way to NJ for a flight out to AZ tomorrow, we stopped at the Big Snow American Dream indoor ski slope. I have to say it was much cooler than I anticipated. The indoor temp was a constant 27F, and soft man made, machine groomed snow. For a couple of hours I was able to lap the hill. Lots of new skiers who were just trying out the slope, which is a good thing. I think this place will serve as a little feeder hill so to speak. Added with the fact it is year round, the idea of getting turns in during July and August, to keep the legs fresh is a good thing. All in all a good distraction, especially when my wife, son and I head to NJ to visit family.

Photos:

bc988d54ed666fda06ff25b16ac9e87d.jpg
903cea90b41e10a97840cdb66981bfad.jpg
6e2b0902d0dca7e454dc7d7d5e9d633a.jpg
5845aa408ccb760f93bc1b0330dce8da.jpg
b99473f6c76c16f66b9abb37a6bbd389.jpg
36a7f427163b2657f7db0d4ef249f547.jpg
119fc77c757348b28b940f39ebafa3a2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zand

Is it awkward to carry your gear into a mall or does it feel more "normal" than I think it would? Just trying to picture it in my head because I know I'm going to want to try it in July.

Bostonian

Is it awkward to carry your gear into a mall or does it feel more "normal" than I think it would? Just trying to picture it in my head because I know I'm going to want to try it in July.

Wasn’t so awkward. There were certainly others doing so too. There were more people in awe who weren’t skiers or riders when they saw those of us walking out with skis with snow on it. I know in July and August it will be worth it, just to be able to say I got to ski in the dead of the summer!

Zand

Wasn’t so awkward. There were certainly others doing so too. There were more people in awe who weren’t skiers or riders when they saw those of us walking out with skis with snow on it. I know in July and August it will be worth it, just to be able to say I got to ski in the dead of the summer!

My summer adrenaline hobby is roller coasters. There's been days where I've skied in VT and then gone to Six Flags on the way home. But doing both in the same facility...talk about coming full circle.