• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Prez Week 2020 thumbnail intel thread

legalskier

Don't have time to write a full TR? Here's a thread for quick intel- ski area you're at, date(s), conditions/weather, crowds, etc. Especially- how are they set up for the rest of the season?

medfordmike

Friday - Sunapee - Not busy in the morning good groomers. Glades were ok but won’t withstand a bad weather event.

Saturday- Pico full coverage, good options in the glades. Busy but with everything and every lift open not really an issue. Pico doesn’t go late into the spring but for the glades to remain good they need more snow. A semi long warm up and freeze would really hurt them. Would hurt a lot of their terrain in fact. I am a homer at Pico. Snowmaking improvements on main runs are very noticeable in a good way.

Sunday - Skiway was 100% open. Low crowding but not empty. Same comments as Pico but I would use my glades comment to refer to their non snowmaking trails. They are in good shape if conditions stay favorable with a modest refresh of snow. A warm up would really impact them.

Monday - Whaleback had a lot open. Given their location and lack of height they could lose terrain quickly in a warm up. I ski here once or twice a year and the improvements are really starting to show. Fingers crossed for these guys. Several trails were not open. They need snow to get them open.

parahelia

We were at Sunday River all 3 days. The crowds were minimal; less busy than a typical midwinter weekend. Both the Silver and Ikon passholders were blacked out Sat/Sun, which probably was a big factor.

Conditions are as good as they have been all winter. There haven’t been any big storms, but the nickel and dime storms have added up, and there haven’t been any big meltdowns.

It’s 100% open, with all the natural trails in play and bumpy fun. While some of the steeper woods (EG upper poppy fields) would be better with more snow, I still had a great time there. And more snow coming tomorrow!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kingslug

Sb Saturday..very cold, low crowds..everything skied well..good coverage
Stowe Sunday ..warmer, still no crowds due to blackout..super coverage..everything open
Stowe Monday..no crowds early but around 10 they came..single line was long but manageable. Gondola packed as it was windy and cold.
Everything open..moguls moguls moguls...even snowed an inch over night.

jimk

About 15-18" fell over all the Wasatch Mtns on Prez Weekend, setting things up nicely for short term future.

p_levert

Isn't Prez week a myth in the East? Meaning, after Monday there's really no crowds and it's a joke to charge holiday rates and have blackout days. Presidents Day weekend is real, Presidents Day week is a scam.

KustyTheKlown

About 15-18" fell over all the Wasatch Mtns on Prez Weekend, setting things up nicely for short term future.

yea, powmow skied unbelievably awesome during the storm on sunday. i think powmow is technically in the uintas.

drjeff

What I experienced this weekend.

Saturday at Mount Snow - the cold kept the crowds down. Kind of felt volume wise like a light volume Saturday did a few years ago.

Sunday at Mount Snow as a big crowd, don't think it was quite the BIG crowd that MLK Sunday was, but it was a big crowd

Monday at Pico - one of the regulars I rode up the upper quad with said it was a big day for Pico - I don't think I waited more than 5 or 6 chairs for either quad the 5 full top to bottom laps I made when I wasn't watching my daughter's race. The parking lots closest to the lodge were full, the outer lot by Route 4 looked to be in the 2/3rds-3/4ths full range. Lot's of IKON passes hanging off of peoples coats too

The snow quality all 3 days was very good!

My wife tells me that it's a pretty light crowd today at Mount Snow and there's maybe an inch or so and still snowing about noon

drjeff

Isn't Prez week a myth in the East? Meaning, after Monday there's really no crowds and it's a joke to charge holiday rates and have blackout days. Presidents Day weekend is real, Presidents Day week is a scam.

Because of the simple fact that many schools have atleast President's Day off, some also have the Tuesday, and others the full week, the volume at many resorts on President's day is no joke. Pico had most of their parking lots filled yesterday when I was skiing there, and when I drove by the access roads to Killington (and by the probably 2/3rds full Skyeship base lot), Okemo and Stratton on my way back to Mount Snow, it certainly wasn't a typical Monday volume of cars leaving any of them in the 2:15 to 3:45 range I went by them.

I think the notion that the entire Presidents week is very crowded no longer applies, but President's Day itself, that's still a worthy blackout and/or Holiday rate charging day for the East Coast ski industry

KustyTheKlown

the weekend following president's week has never been noticeably crowded for me the past few years.

abc

You can say the same about Christmas and New Year too.

The only days that are really busy is the week between Christmas and New Year. But Christmas day and New Year eve are both relatively light as people were busy with family activities in the lodge or still at home.

shadyjay

Website
linktr.ee
I have to wonder if the southern "sprinter" weather is affecting attendance, especially this year. There's been little to no snow in southern New England all winter thus far, and when temps are 40-50 deg every day, it doesn't feel like winter, thus winter activities may not be on people's minds as much as they would if there was snow on the ground.

From my years in the business, the week itself was busy but not a mob scene during the past 10 years or so. Saturday and the Monday-holiday Sunday were the busiest.

legalskier

the weekend following president's week has never been noticeably crowded for me the past few years.

You must not have had the pleasure of trying to travel south on the NY Thruway on the last day of the holiday week (i.e. second Sunday).

sankaty

Skied Pico Sat/Sun/Tues. Snow was good for the most part Sat/Sun. Some scratch on the steeps and troughs, but trees and lower-angle terrain was all soft. Yesterday was sublime. Approx 3 inches of dense, dry, snow, with wind-loaded trails deeper in parts. With the wind filling in tracks very quickly, had a blank slate all day long in many places.

Busy by Pico standards over the weekend, but very manageable.

Images from Tuesday at Pico:

ZYnY6QZ.jpg

T1e5c5y.jpg

eZLRkyD.gif

chuckstah

Crotched today The place was empty, parked right in front of the quad

Groomers: some were frozen solid cord, others, presumed they groomed twice, were marbles and cookies.

Natural terrain and glades: mainly frozen crap, snow here and there with a crust, but goodish cover and all open

bumps on half of UFO. Should have gone to Wildcat.

Last edited: