• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Running a lift of off diesel

Slidebrook87

The electric motor burned out and has to be rewound, which could take a few weeks. The back up diesel can be run since it has a backup. However, since the way the torque converter was designed, they cannot stop the lift for very long without shutting down the diesel engine. It will over heat.

I remember when Ursa ran on diesel it could only run at 700 ft/min which destroyed capacity. Not a good time...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gladerider

i was wondering why they were running diesel yesterday. it was loud but sounded good. don't know why.

Glenn

i was wondering why they were running diesel yesterday. it was loud but sounded good. don't know why.

It does have a good exhaust note IMHO.

bigbob,
Thanks for the insight! Any idea on the size and make of the diesel engine?

There was a crane parked in the Sunbowl lot yesterday. I'll try and post pic here. Wondering if that's going to be used at all during the process.

Glenn

a47442940ff49103a3a74e3102d87d6c.jpg

Crane in the Sunbowl lot Sunday.

spiderpig

The electric motor burned out and has to be rewound, which could take a few weeks. The back up diesel can be run since it has a backup. However, since the way the torque converter was designed, they cannot stop the lift for very long without shutting down the diesel engine. It will over heat.

I suppose that's why they had a sign up for the lifties that said "no e-stops."

kbroderick

I suppose that's why they had a sign up for the lifties that said "no e-stops."

I've been at a smaller place elsewhere and heard the head of lift ops tell a liftie something very close to "once we start it on auxiliary, the controls don't do anything, so make sure nobody gets in the way."

I believe the diesel APU in that case was connected to the driveshaft in such a way that the only shutdown possible was directly at the APU itself. However, as it seemed to provide similar power output to a stoned hampster, the rope speed minimized the chance of mishaps.

Sotto

I've been at a smaller place elsewhere and heard the head of lift ops tell a liftie something very close to "once we start it on auxiliary, the controls don't do anything, so make sure nobody gets in the way."

I believe the diesel APU in that case was connected to the driveshaft in such a way that the only shutdown possible was directly at the APU itself. However, as it seemed to provide similar power output to a stoned hampster, the rope speed minimized the chance of mishaps.
When on auxiliary backup in theory all stops are designed to work. When a stop is used to motor shuts down and has to be restarted after each time. Depending on the reason for needing the aux some safeties might be jumped out or bypassed.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Slidebrook87

When on auxiliary backup in theory all stops are designed to work. When a stop is used to motor shuts down and has to be restarted after each time. Depending on the reason for needing the aux some safeties might be jumped out or bypassed.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Most lifts don’t require the motor to be restarted. It simply comes to an idle. The diesel prime mover is meant to serve as a substitute for the electric drive with fully working stops and slows. An evac drive must be operated by a separate control panel.

Slidebrook87

Today at Stratton when Sunrise stopped, the diesel engine continued to idle meaning that they didn’t have to restart it each time. Unlike GMX there were no fumes at all which I found kind of odd. Still very loud though.

Glenn

It was loud. I noticed one of the lifties wearing ear protection in the afternoon.

I suppose it could have an emission system on it. However, since it's not running on the highway, I can't see emissions being a requirement.

I noticed the crane was gone from the lot as well. I'm guessing they'll run the diesel until the season ends then fix whatever the issue is during the off season.

Newpylong

In NH at least (so I would expect the same in VT which is even more restrictive), depending on age, stationary diesels are required to have emissions control. Portable units (in general) ie air compressors on axles do not. But a lift going in today would likely get a DEF/SCR system.

Slidebrook87

In NH at least (so I would expect the same in VT which is even more restrictive), depending on age, stationary diesels are required to have emissions control. Portable units (in general) ie air compressors on axles do not. But a lift going in today would likely get a DEF/SCR system.

All new lifts have DEF emission control, but Sunrise was built in 2001. When the lift started there was only a small puff of exhaust compared to the plumes seen on GMX. GMX was built a year later but definitely doesn't have emission control systems. Is it a possibility that Garaventa CTEC was installing emission control systems on their lifts all the way back in 2001?

Keelhauled

Is it a possibility that Garaventa CTEC was installing emission control systems on their lifts all the way back in 2001?

None of the whole SCR/EGR/DPF cocktail existed in 2001, so no. Visible particulate emissions just mean the engine is running a little rich. Could be anything from a dirty air filter to failing cylinder rings letting oil burn. An engine of that vintage might still have a mechanically timed injector pump instead of electronic which could be a little out of whack.

Emission controls are an EPA requirement, not a state one, and off-highway engines are subject to them as well. I think marine engines are the only ones still under Tier 3 regulations, but that will probably change eventually--IMO is already cracking down on particulates via fuel sulfur content.