Running a lift of off diesel - Page 3

AlpineZone

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 35
  1. #21
    Slidebrook87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Location
    NYC area/Mad River Valley VT
    Posts
    415
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbob View Post
    The electric motor burned out and has to be rewound, which could take a few weeks. The back up diesel can be run since it has a backup. However, since the way the torque converter was designed, they cannot stop the lift for very long without shutting down the diesel engine. It will over heat.
    I remember when Ursa ran on diesel it could only run at 700 ft/min which destroyed capacity. Not a good time...


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. #22
    i was wondering why they were running diesel yesterday. it was loud but sounded good. don't know why.
    gladerider

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by gladerider View Post
    i was wondering why they were running diesel yesterday. it was loud but sounded good. don't know why.
    It does have a good exhaust note IMHO.

    bigbob,
    Thanks for the insight! Any idea on the size and make of the diesel engine?

    There was a crane parked in the Sunbowl lot yesterday. I'll try and post pic here. Wondering if that's going to be used at all during the process.
    SoVT

  4. #24



    Crane in the Sunbowl lot Sunday.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    SoVT

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbob View Post
    The electric motor burned out and has to be rewound, which could take a few weeks. The back up diesel can be run since it has a backup. However, since the way the torque converter was designed, they cannot stop the lift for very long without shutting down the diesel engine. It will over heat.
    I suppose that's why they had a sign up for the lifties that said "no e-stops."
    2018-19:
    Killington: 10/20, 11/15, 5/4, 6/1
    Okemo: 11/16, 11/22, 11/24, 12/2, 12/15, 12/16, 1/25, 1/26, 3/8, 3/9, 3/23, 3/24
    Stratton: 11/23, 12/3, 2/22, 3/3
    Sugarbush: 12/1
    Catamount: 12/31, 1/19
    Mohawk: 1/21
    Stowe: 1/24
    Jiminy Peak: 2/9
    Mount Southington: 2/16
    Mount Snow: 2/23
    Pico: 3/2

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by spiderpig View Post
    I suppose that's why they had a sign up for the lifties that said "no e-stops."
    I've been at a smaller place elsewhere and heard the head of lift ops tell a liftie something very close to "once we start it on auxiliary, the controls don't do anything, so make sure nobody gets in the way."

    I believe the diesel APU in that case was connected to the driveshaft in such a way that the only shutdown possible was directly at the APU itself. However, as it seemed to provide similar power output to a stoned hampster, the rope speed minimized the chance of mishaps.
    Disclaimer: Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself, unless I'm saying something incredibly dumb, in which case I didn't say anything and you're hallucinating.

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by kbroderick View Post
    I've been at a smaller place elsewhere and heard the head of lift ops tell a liftie something very close to "once we start it on auxiliary, the controls don't do anything, so make sure nobody gets in the way."

    I believe the diesel APU in that case was connected to the driveshaft in such a way that the only shutdown possible was directly at the APU itself. However, as it seemed to provide similar power output to a stoned hampster, the rope speed minimized the chance of mishaps.
    When on auxiliary backup in theory all stops are designed to work. When a stop is used to motor shuts down and has to be restarted after each time. Depending on the reason for needing the aux some safeties might be jumped out or bypassed.

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

  8. #28
    Slidebrook87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Location
    NYC area/Mad River Valley VT
    Posts
    415
    Quote Originally Posted by Sotto View Post
    When on auxiliary backup in theory all stops are designed to work. When a stop is used to motor shuts down and has to be restarted after each time. Depending on the reason for needing the aux some safeties might be jumped out or bypassed.

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Most lifts don’t require the motor to be restarted. It simply comes to an idle. The diesel prime mover is meant to serve as a substitute for the electric drive with fully working stops and slows. An evac drive must be operated by a separate control panel.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. #29
    There's some good info here. Thanks everyone for sharing.

    SoVT

  10. #30
    Slidebrook87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Location
    NYC area/Mad River Valley VT
    Posts
    415
    Today at Stratton when Sunrise stopped, the diesel engine continued to idle meaning that they didn’t have to restart it each time. Unlike GMX there were no fumes at all which I found kind of odd. Still very loud though.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 3:29 PM.