• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

SuperPasses 20/21

Domeskier

Anecdotally: Ever been to Alta, Deer Valley, and MRG? Absolutely, positively, gloriously perfect mogul fields.

I have never been to MRG, but we seem to have a difference of opinion on what constitutes a perfect mogul field:

MRGmoguls.png

KustyTheKlown

i disagree. revelstoke has a lot more areas where you can just ski down. there may be some traversing required, but its not mandatory to ride the mountain. the thing with alta is that you must traverse to get to many, if not most, areas. and the major 'cross-mountain' route that you must use to return to the base/parking area is a giant cat track traverse that snowboarders would need to take their boards off for and post-hole.

Zermatt

i disagree. revelstoke has a lot more areas where you can just ski down. there may be some traversing required, but its not mandatory to ride the mountain. the thing with alta is that you must traverse to get to many, if not most, areas. and the major 'cross-mountain' route that you must use to return to the base/parking area is a giant cat track traverse that snowboarders would need to take their boards off for and post-hole.

Doesn't the bottom area have a tow at Alta?

The only way out from The Ripper chair (maybe 40% of Revelstoke terrain?) is via Downtowner with multiple long flat sections. Some you can make if you tuck but I saw a lot of snowboarders walking last week. Lots of flats to get out of the North Bowl as well which then leads you to The Ripper with only one trail out.

KustyTheKlown

yes there is a tow across the bottom, but practically speaking you need the east baldy traverse. and that is just to get back to goldminer's daughter. that isnt even talking about the traverses you need to do to get to the terrain. as mentioned above, devil's castle and catherine's are literally impossible on a board, and those are major parts of alta.

kingslug

The traverses at Alta are tiring on skis..on a board they would be ...death. And i have traversed way the hell out there from Catherines and other areas to find the goods.
But this is probably one of the oldest discussions in modern ski history.

deadheadskier

Staff member
While snowboards do have a negative impact on moguls, it is minor and overblown to the point of being basically inconsequential. The two best mountains for moguls in New England are Sugarbush and Killington. Both have better lines and spacing than MRG; not to say MRG bumps are bad. Both K and SB have plenty of snowboarders.

As for long traverses, they make some pretty nice split boards these days. Also, the two areas in the East with the greatest amount of sidecountry terrain are Stowe and Sugarloaf. You can literally traverse out two miles at both, maybe more. I've seen people snowboarding out in the farthest regions at each. Good on them for putting in the effort to try and enjoy that terrain just like I do on skis. I have not skied Alta, but I'm sure plenty of boarders would find a way to make it work.

End of the day, snowboarding bans are dumb. Taos is getting along just fine after lifting their ban. Same would be the case at Alta, DV or MRG. Would love to see the lame ass bans lifted at all three. The resulting elitist ski snob meltdowns on social media would be very amusing.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

snoseek

Heavenly is loaded full of massive traverses and snowboarders and has some great bump skiing.

BenedictGomez

I have not skied Alta, but I'm sure plenty of boarders would find a way to make it work.

Depends what you mean by, "make it work"; I think what would happen is a lot of snowboarders would congregate in similar areas where they can avoid traverses.

There are places at Alta where the only thing I can compare it too is essentially full-blown XC skiing for a spell. If your XC technique on downhill gear is solid (as I suspect most here is) it wont bother you in the least. On a snowboard? LOL

deadheadskier

Staff member
Depends what you mean by, "make it work"; I think what would happen is a lot of snowboarders would congregate in similar areas where they can avoid traverses.

There are places at Alta where the only thing I can compare it too is essentially full-blown XC skiing for a spell. If your XC technique on downhill gear is solid (as I suspect most here is) it wont bother you in the least. On a snowboard? LOL

That's rich!

Got all the pro snowboard ban greatest hits going on in here.

Don't come here, you'll F up the moguls!

You couldn't handle the gnarly traverses on your gear bro!

Trust me bro, you'd really hate Alta! Believe me, it will suck for you!

Do you think the same crap about people who snowboard at all ski areas A to Z?

Seriously, is sharing the precious Alta, Deer Valley or MRG slopes with snowboarders going to fuck up your day that bad? Does it elsewhere?

BenedictGomez

That's rich!

Pretty dumb post by someone who readily admits he's never been to Alta, especially given numerous folks here prior to me have already explained the long traverses required to get from Point A to Point B (and Point O to Point P).

And FYI, there are over 800 ski resorts in North America, so I dont really see how there being 3 which are ski only is being "anti-snowboard". If Jake Burton's trust decides tomorrow to create North America's first "snowboard only" resort, good for them, and I couldnt care less (and I certainly wouldnt act all butt-hurt about it).

deadheadskier

Staff member
Pretty dumb post by someone who readily admits he's never been to Alta, especially given numerous folks here prior to me have already explained the long traverses required to get from Point A to Point B (and Point O to Point P).

And FYI, there are over 800 ski resorts in North America, so I dont really see how there being 3 which are ski only is being "anti-snowboard". If Jake Burton's trust decides tomorrow to create North America's first "snowboard only" resort, good for them, and I couldnt care less (and I certainly wouldnt act all butt-hurt about it).
LOL

Quoted for posterity

Where you skiing this weekend BG? That place gonna have gnarly traverses that snowboarders can't even dream about crossing?

At Stowe, do you stand at the head of the traverse out to the bench and beyond and tell the snowboarders, "Don't go bro! You're equipment sucks and you'll have no fun,!"

I'm sure the thousands of snowboarders in Utah that would like to ride Alta are super grateful that some dude from Jersey is telling them, "Don't do it bro! I know what will make you happy more than you know it yourselves! Alta would suck for you!"

thetrailboss

Staff member
yea, that traverse from sugarloaf to collins, basically impossible on a board. traversing out to catherine's area? nope not gonna happen. devil's castle? also nope. even the wildcat high traverse would be stupid on a snowboard.

FWIW they plan on ending the EBT and replacing it with a lift in the not to distant future.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

thetrailboss

Staff member
That's precisely what it is. Everyone wants what they can't have. And let's be real - the snow is usually better at Alta because no boarding is allowed. Bumps are also better placed.

Honestly, I was ok with the ban. But with the increasing sense of entitlement and Altatude, I think snowboards should be allowed now.

Zermatt

Back to the original topic.

When do Epic and MountainCollective usually come out? Seems like Sugarbush will come off MC...maybe they add Jay?

What's up with the new 4 day Ikon? It almost looks like you have to pick your ski areas when you purchase the pass.

skicub

Very torn right now:

This is the first year in almost 10 that I haven’t bought a Sunday river/New England pass, instead opting for the IKON (I did the MAXpass add on for the two years it was available - a fucking steal). I had planned on just getting a New England pass this spring and going back to getting that along with a few skiVT passes, but now I’m wondering if I should just stick with the IKON.

I’m a daytripper from Lowell, MA and thus I can be anywhere in New England in a daytrip. I enjoy the unlimited half days at Loon, 5-7 day trips to SR and a few long ones every year to the Loaf, with the NE bronze. That being said, I’ve really enjoyed checking out sugarbush this season, and the flexibility of 5 days at Pico/Killi (since Pico is great with my family and I have a friend with a house at Killi). I can take or leave Stratton, though my in laws have a place near bromley, so the odd day here or there is an added bonus. Tremblant was kind of crowded for my tastes, but my fam had a nice time for a few days there also. My best friends live in Seattle now, so a trip to Crystal or snoqualmie is also very doable (Snowqualmie this year). If Jay got added to the IKON it wouldn’t be a question, and I’d just get it.

I maintain a yearly midweek pass at Bromley, since it’s pretty cheap and I have a place to stay there, and usually get the Fox44 card end of season for a Magic, Mad River, and Smuggs day. I am also considering an Indy pass for next season, because I would love to check out BMOM, Black, and some of the smaller mountains, though I know it’s not a great deal, since most of those places are cheap midweek anyways.

All that being said, I like the investment plans recently put out by Boyne, and want to support my “home mountains”. But I also thoroughly enjoy the flexibility of the IKON. What do I do??

thetrailboss

Staff member
Back to the original topic.

When do Epic and MountainCollective usually come out? Seems like Sugarbush will come off MC...maybe they add Jay?

What's up with the new 4 day Ikon? It almost looks like you have to pick your ski areas when you purchase the pass.

Mountain Collective is all but dead it seems considering that IKON is out. I would not be surprised if it is not an option this year.

Zermatt

Mountain Collective is all but dead it seems considering that IKON is out. I would not be surprised if it is not an option this year.

I was thinking that too. Still popular out west though for road trips, the 50% off extra days is huge.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I was thinking that too. Still popular out west though for road trips, the 50% off extra days is huge.

For sure. IIRC this is a Liftopia deal that they have run. Considering that, it may continue to exist.