• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

SuperPasses 20/21

machski

Yeah that is whacky. Any idea what is up? Didn't they have the "flash sale" in February last two years?
Not really. If I had to venture a guess, they are probably debating hard how to price competitively with Ikon and now the Epic and Northeast Epic products. All while planning a ton of investment across the three NE resorts. If prices aren't dropping and I were them, I'd be damned sure to have new lifts for summer '21 install confirmed and announced for SR & SL when they do drop the NEP pricing for next year.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

KustyTheKlown

i wonder what effect, if any, all of this will have on my ticketsatwork.com promotions. its a corporate benefits site my company has access to.

currently i can get tickets to killington, mount snow, stratton, pico, sugarbush, bromley, and jay with discounts from 30% to 50% of list price. and i can buy it in the parking lot the morning i am skiing if i want to.

includes lots of other epic/ikon places in other states. i just toggled to vt for this post.

sankaty

Any guesses on how the new Epic and Ikon offerings will affect Killington's offerings? Last year, they didn't offer a holiday-restricted pass, so the only way to get a pass for weekend skiing was to buy their $999 unlimited pass, which had no blackouts but was only good at Killington/Pico. I can't see why anyone but the most dedicated Kton devotees would go for that this year when you can ski Sugarbush or Stowe, plus lots of great other northeastern and western mountains for about $700 with a Ikon/Epic pass (or $600 for the Epic NE pass if going out west isn't in the cards).

To be broadly competitive, I'm guessing that Kton needs to offer a holiday-restricted pass in the $600 range that is good at K/Pico plus maybe 5 days+ at Copper and/or Snowbird. If they could arrange for a few days at other northeastern Ikon mountains, they could charge up to $700. $1K for a K/Pico only pass is a nonstarter for me.

JimG.

Staff member
Any guesses on how the new Epic and Ikon offerings will affect Killington's offerings? Last year, they didn't offer a holiday-restricted pass, so the only way to get a pass for weekend skiing was to buy their $999 unlimited pass, which had no blackouts but was only good at Killington/Pico. I can't see why anyone but the most dedicated Kton devotees would go for that this year when you can ski Sugarbush or Stowe, plus lots of great other northeastern and western mountains for about $700 with a Ikon/Epic pass (or $600 for the Epic NE pass if going out west isn't in the cards).

To be broadly competitive, I'm guessing that Kton needs to offer a holiday-restricted pass in the $600 range that is good at K/Pico plus maybe 5 days+ at Copper and/or Snowbird. If they could arrange for a few days at other northeastern Ikon mountains, they could charge up to $700. $1K for a K/Pico only pass is a nonstarter for me.

I will certainly be a K/Pico unlimited passholder regardless of price. I just hope they continue to offer season passes and only limited access for Ikon passholders.

Frankly, they should offer full K/Pico passholders unlimited (or I'd settle for limited) access to the other Ikon NE mountains.

sankaty

I will certainly be a K/Pico unlimited passholder regardless of price. I just hope they continue to offer season passes and only limited access for Ikon passholders.

Frankly, they should offer full K/Pico passholders unlimited (or I'd settle for limited) access to the other Ikon NE mountains.

If the NE specific IKON pass that you're proposing materialized (unlimited access to NE IKON resorts including K/Pico), I'd likely go for it if it were price competitive with the Epic NE pass.

I'm sure you have excellent reasons for committing to a K/Pico pass regardless of price (I assume you've got access to a place nearby?), but presumably they'd want to interest folks who are evaluating all the options.

JimG.

Staff member
If the NE specific IKON pass that you're proposing materialized (unlimited access to NE IKON resorts including K/Pico), I'd likely go for it if it were price competitive with the Epic NE pass.

I'm sure you have excellent reasons for committing to a K/Pico pass regardless of price (I assume you've got access to a place nearby?), but presumably they'd want to interest folks who are evaluating all the options.

K is just the best option for me. The best VT mountain by a large margin within 3.5 hours from home. Don't have a place nearby, usually do 2 days with a hotel overnight. I also occasionally (3-4x per season} day trip it.

Also have the ORDA NYS 3 in 1. Gore, Whiteface and Belle. Gore and Belle closer to home than K and very day trippable. WF an overnight.

I just have no interest in skiing out west right now, maybe after my last one graduates college. I think K could keep their current price if they added 5 days each at Stratton and SB. That would make me very happy and I would probably never say another bad thing about megapasses. I would even be OK paying $100 more.

jg17

It's certainly possible that K could offer it in the future, some mountains (I believe Jackson Hole, Aspen, and maybe a few others) I've heard are offering Ikon for free to their top tier passholders.

JimG.

Staff member
It's certainly possible that K could offer it in the future, some mountains (I believe Jackson Hole, Aspen, and maybe a few others) I've heard are offering Ikon for free to their top tier passholders.

I have heard that. Like I said before, I'd even be OK with paying a small premium on top of the cost of the K unlimited pass.

AdironRider

Jackson did give us Ikon base passes as a bribe to try and shut us locals up after last year. They then sent a notice via email in late July that you had to claim it by August or you wouldn't get one. Who checks their season pass emails in the middle of July? Approximately no one. They also welched on anyone who got a pass paid partially by their employer. Great job guys, that is about as close to a bait and switch as you can get without being one.

The real problem though is when you pay 1500+ to ski Jackson for a season, you don't leave to go ski low angle groomers in Colorado with worse snow.

Last edited:

chuckstah

Rumor I heard, but not very reliable, is K 365 passholders, (top tier) will get a free Ikon. To be announced soon.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using AlpineZone mobile app

KustyTheKlown

Jackson did give us Ikon base passes as a bribe to try and shut us locals up after last year. They then sent a notice via email in late July that you had to claim it by August or you wouldn't get one. Who checks their season pass emails in the middle of July? Approximately no one. They also welched on anyone who got a pass paid partially by their employer. Great job guys, that is about as close to a bait and switch as you can get without being one.

The real problem though is when you pay 1500+ to ski Jackson for a season, you don't leave to go ski low angle groomers in Colorado with worse snow.

lol. i feel you. but revelstoke, alta/bird, squaw when it is going off, highlands. plenty of places to get your gnar on.

Tonyr

K is just the best option for me. The best VT mountain by a large margin within 3.5 hours from home. Don't have a place nearby, usually do 2 days with a hotel overnight. I also occasionally (3-4x per season} day trip it.

Also have the ORDA NYS 3 in 1. Gore, Whiteface and Belle. Gore and Belle closer to home than K and very day trippable. WF an overnight.

I just have no interest in skiing out west right now, maybe after my last one graduates college. I think K could keep their current price if they added 5 days each at Stratton and SB. That would make me very happy and I would probably never say another bad thing about megapasses. I would even be OK paying $100 more.

That dedication going back and forth to Killington in one day 3.5 hours each way! How do you stay awake on the drive home?

KustyTheKlown

i day trip gore/magic regularly (4 hours from brooklyn). i've done k/mad river as day trips. you just do it.

TyWebb

if either Epic or Ikon purchased Blue, Elk or Camel I'd really get my $$ worth and my decision would be easy. Obviously makes sense for Ikon to purchase one of them + a Catskill Mt to compete with Epic since they purchased Peak.

Quietman

I paid $629.0 for this season. Is winter ever going to arrive this season?

Amen! I am so glad that I decided to work for my pass this year, instead of buying one. Northern resorts have done better, but this currently ranks as one of the worst natural snow years in the last 15 years S NH and below.

sankaty

I just realized that I thought I was looking at last year's prices, but Killington already had next year's prices on their site:

$999 for an unlimited season pass
$999 for an Ikon Pass
$569 midweek
$1,300+ for Beast 365

I don't get it. Just doesn't seem competitive to me, especially with no multimountain access on their unlimited pass. I really don't get why they don't offer a holiday-restricted pass.

Killington is a great mountain, but is it really worth $300 more than unlimited, non holiday Stowe/Mount Snow/Okemo skiing plus Vail resorts world wide? Or $400 more than the Epic NE pass?

JimG.

Staff member
Killington is a great mountain, but is it really worth $300 more than unlimited, non holiday Stowe/Mount Snow/Okemo skiing plus Vail resorts world wide? Or $400 more than the Epic NE pass?

Again depends whose eye is doing the beholding.

For me it is worth it. Stowe is just too far away for me and Okemo/Mt. Snow don't compare to K.

Maybe in 4 years I will think differently. I'm beginning to think we would be better off retiring out west.

JimG.

Staff member
Rumor I heard, but not very reliable, is K 365 passholders, (top tier) will get a free Ikon. To be announced soon.

If ultimately true I would buy the 365 to get that deal. Would that include unlimited access to Sugarbush?