• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Kudo's to Hunter (Really Vail)

So Inclined

It looks like it could be an awesome trail really let it rip, Super G style.

You'd better also build the helipad right at the bottom of the West side lift for all the daily Medevac flights to Albany, if Hunter skiers and riders were to go do that down Westway (as is) in numbers.

Last edited:

catskillman

You'd better also build the helipad right at the bottom of the West side lift for all the daily Medevac flights to Albany, if Hunter skiers and riders were to go do that down Westway (as is) in numbers.

you are so right!!! BUT for years and to this day, if you get hurt over there, they load you in the back of an SUV and take you on a 4 mile bumpy ride to the ski patrol area in the base lodge.

Trust me I know on this,... horrible situation

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
I think Stowe could have a shot at it, but they just would have any business.

I doubt it. What trail would you push for?

As it's been discussed....Superstar at Killington was literally built for the late-season game. There's no other trail in the northeast that has that kind of setup. Perfect exposure, very wide, little snow wasted going to/from chairlift, high base elevation (pretty sure K1 lodge is the highest elevation of a base area in VT at 2,400ish feet). Then throw in the the access road, bar at the base, and all the extra hydrants K put in for World Cup. Heck they even re-graded the bottom a couple off seasons ago so the infamous "S" wouldn't appear (in theory).

Another resort could put in a whole bunch of $$$ and re-create that somewhere else but it'd never be the same. K has been the late season leader in the East, undisputed, for 30 years. Even when K wasn't the last game in town 2008ish-2014ish (dates very fuzzy on me, early POWDR days) no one pushed as hard as K had been (or is back to doing now). No one could pounce on that opportunity and take that market and run with it to profitability til Memorial Day.

cdskier

K has been the late season leader in the East, undisputed, for 30 years. Even when K wasn't the last game in town 2008ish-2014ish (dates very fuzzy on me, early POWDR days) no one pushed as hard as K had been (or is back to doing now).

That's not entirely true...

In 2008 a pretty big deal was made by SB about being open later than K...there were shirts printed and everything...Granted they still didn't push to go later than early May, but it made for some nice marketing hype for a year or so.

vol05_img08.jpg

K really does have an ideal situation with Superstar though as long as they want to take advantage of it. Those few years where they didn't try were just bizarre (and rightly recognized as a mistake).

machski

In 2008 a pretty big deal was made by SB about being open later than K...there were shirts printed and everything...Granted they still didn't push to go later than early May, but it made for some nice marketing hype for a year or so.

View attachment 49674

K really does have an ideal situation with Superstar though as long as they want to take advantage of it. Those few years where they didn't try were just bizarre (and rightly recognized as a mistake).
That was also when Sugarloaf went into May (I think they pushed into mid May) and happy took the King of Spring Crown and anointed themselves with it. Of course, they couldn't draw the late season crowd like K can when they came back to the game.

So Inclined

When is the last time Westway was open?
Pretty sure the last time was late season 2018 thanks to a March dumping.
Here it is, open but with thin cover warnings (it was, but not unskiably so) on 3/18/18.

westway.jpg

kingslug

I was on it the last time it opened. just a ribbon ice with some hardpack. I have seen people try to ski near the towers but its too rocky and a fall would not be good. Wish they would just cut it in half and make it a trail again.

da-bum

It looks like it could be an awesome trail really let it rip, Super G style.
That's how I rember skiing that trail, on the one season where they had complete top to bottom coverage and grooming. It was like 5 big turns and you are at the bottom.

kingslug

I was on it during the superstorm 10 years ago...you could barley move it was so deep. Then it turned into the biggest monster mogul field I have ever seen...

kingslug

The beginning section is easy..then it just drops..like over 30 degree drop..I think it touches 38 for a small bit then eases off. I would not want to hit that GS style. I've been on it many times in the past and a fall means your going to the bottom.

da-bum

I was on it during the superstorm 10 years ago...you could barley move it was so deep. Then it turned into the biggest monster mogul field I have ever seen...

Yeah, the last time I was there was on some superstorm, had to lean back like I was sitting on a chair, just so that the tip wouldn't sink in, but then comes time to turn.... Not a good idea to try on GS skis.

5 big turns if you were on SG skis doing 80MPH. Doubtful you could handle that.
I wasn't on super G skis, nor was I in a full tuck, so I doubt I was that fast. Back then, Shaped skis were 30m radius, so super G radius just required moderate angulation of the skis.

dmort

I doubt it. What trail would you push for?

As it's been discussed....Superstar at Killington was literally built for the late-season game. There's no other trail in the northeast that has that kind of setup. Perfect exposure, very wide, little snow wasted going to/from chairlift, high base elevation (pretty sure K1 lodge is the highest elevation of a base area in VT at 2,400ish feet). Then throw in the the access road, bar at the base, and all the extra hydrants K put in for World Cup. Heck they even re-graded the bottom a couple off seasons ago so the infamous "S" wouldn't appear (in theory).

Another resort could put in a whole bunch of $$$ and re-create that somewhere else but it'd never be the same. K has been the late season leader in the East, undisputed, for 30 years. Even when K wasn't the last game in town 2008ish-2014ish (dates very fuzzy on me, early POWDR days) no one pushed as hard as K had been (or is back to doing now). No one could pounce on that opportunity and take that market and run with it to profitability til Memorial Day.
I think superstar is a great trail! When. I was a kids coach, taking 6 year olds up the super star quad was a great move, plenty of capable skiers to help and then you head of the back way.

angiemarsh

In 2008 a pretty big deal was made by SB about being open later than K...there were shirts printed and everything from rebeliation which has high quality clothes ...Granted they still didn't push to go later than early May, but it made for some nice marketing hype for a year or so.

View attachment 49674

yes, it's true that superstar has the advantage of it. Of course, they couldn't draw the late-season crowd like K can when they came back to the game.

Ski2LiveLive2Ski

0100b98244fe8bb66414e2bf949bdb44.jpg

Current state of westway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Got skis tangled in some of those saplings in a fall when it was open a couple weeks ago - had to break them by hand to get out.
A bunch of borders were poaching it with greater success yesterday.

eatskisleep

Got skis tangled in some of those saplings in a fall when it was open a couple weeks ago - had to break them by hand to get out.
A bunch of borders were poaching it with greater success yesterday.
Any current pics of the trail?