Vail day trip 2/20 - Page 2

AlpineZone

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Highline

Quote Originally Posted by Tonyr View Post
    I like to ski challenging terrain and am wondering how the double black runs are on the frontside of Vail since I didn't get a chance to try any while I was there. I am assuming that you don't ski that kind of terrain?
    Vail is not known for its challenging terrain. (Exception being Blue Sky Basin)

Besides, "challenge" is in the eye of beholder. I prefer trees, WITH POWDER, ideally. But even if there's no powder, I still find trees more "challenging" than just steep. Unless, it's got bumps on it. (You just spent several days in BV, which has some of those. Vail front side doesn't have anything BV doesn't in terms of challenge)

Now, the like of Corbets, that's a different story. I admit I "don't ski that kind of terrain". (that said, I'm told with good snow, it's not that hard. While I have my doubts, I skied Liftline at Stowe yesterday. It's positively EASY with all the fresh snow! )
    Last edited by abc; Mar 2, 2020 at 9:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by abc View Post
    Vail is not known for its challenging terrain. (Exception being Blue Sky Basin)

Besides, "challenge" is in the eye of beholder. I prefer trees, WITH POWDER, ideally. But even if there's no powder, I still find trees more "challenging" than just steep. Unless, it's got bumps on it. (You just spent several days in BV, which has some of those. Vail front side doesn't have anything BV doesn't in terms of challenge)

Now, the like of Corbets, that's a different story. I admit I "don't ski that kind of terrain". (that said, I'm told with good snow, it's not that hard. While I have my doubts, I skied Liftline at Stowe yesterday. It's positively EASY with all the fresh snow! )
    Good to know regarding the BC comparison.....I prefer trees the most as well and like trees steep and tight just as much as I like them wide and mellow. Not a huge fan of grommed/wind blown open bowl skiing either which is why I wasn't so crazy about the back bowls when we skied them but I certainly didn't hit all of the best areas.

I agree with you on Liftline at Stowe. The run has been neutered to the point where it really shouldn't be considered a double black at this point anymore.

I agree with you on Liftline at Stowe. The run has been neutered to the point where it really shouldn't be considered a double black at this point anymore.
    I've skied all of Stowe's "front 4" at various times, but ONLY during good snow days. A strong intermediate can hack his way down any of them when there's good coverage and snow is soft.

But more often than not, snow is NOT soft, sometimes not even enough of it to cover up the rocks underneath. (even yesterday by afternoon, the entry into National was a big sheet of glare ice, "per usual" I believe).

Yesterday was one of such rare days ALL trails ski "easy"! Deep, soft snow are forgiving to almost all technique flaws.

I've skied all of Stowe's "front 4", but ONLY during good snow days. A strong intermediate can hack his way down any of them when there's good coverage and snow is soft.

But more often than not, snow is NOT soft, sometimes not even enough of it to cover up the rocks underneath. (even yesterday by afternoon, the entry into National was a big sheet of glare ice, "per usual" I believe).

Yesterday was one of such rare days ALL trails ski "easy"! Deep, soft snow are forgiving to almost all technique flaws.

Not a huge fan of grommed/wind blown open bowl skiing either which is why I wasn't so crazy about the back bowls when we skied them but I certainly didn't hit all of the best areas.
    "Bowls" are not there for the "challenge". It's for enjoying the snow! Free to fly down the hill, not a care in the world!

Constricted places are always more challenging. But unless it hold good snow, I don't see the point of torturing myself.

(Trees are also constricted, but it more often than not hold good snow. Out west, without the thaw/freeze cycle, the trees are almost ALWAYS have good snow. That's why I beeline for the trees)

Thread Information