Vail day trip 2/20

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Vail day trip 2/20

Our plan out in Colorado was to ski 3 or 4 days at Vail then 3 or 4 days at Beaver Creek. After 3 days at BC we decided to head over to Vail to give the mountain a try for the first time. Thankfully we skied with friends who know Vail really well as it is a massive resort that you can easily get overwhelmed with the first time. We met in Lionshead Village with the plan to ski over to the back bowls. I would say that it took about an hour to an hour and a half for the group to get back there. Then about an hour to get all the way back at the end of the day and it was very crowded traversing back and forth each way.

With the crowds and the large time commitment to get to the back bowls I feel like unless there is alot of fresh snow back there I don't get what all the fuss is about. Sure Blue Sky Basin is really fun even without new snow but by the time we got all the way there it was about time to turn around and head back to home base. Needless to say we ended up only doing one day at Vail and stayed put the rest of the time at BC. Below are some photos from the day trip.........20200220_100059.jpg20200220_111027.jpg20200220_105800.jpg20200220_110159.jpg

Sent from my SM-T860 using AlpineZone mobile app

These photos are from the China bowl and Blue Sky Basin. Cloud 9 was a real neat trail and our run of the day there. We didn't get a chance to ski much of the frontside so I'd like to try that area next time.20200220_135832.jpg20200220_123150.jpg20200220_123356.jpg20200220_132710.jpg20200220_133503.jpg

Sent from my SM-T860 using AlpineZone mobile app

I like Vail.

But I wouldn't bother with the front side. (unless I'm staying there for many days and the snow in the back were bad)

Granted, there're plenty of other mountain that ski nicely in a more compact foot print. But there's also plenty to like about Vail, albeit all in the backside.

BS basin isn't that hard to get to once you figure out where you need to straight line it. Once there, STAY THERE!

Like all big resorts, if you try to "see" everything, you end up not enjoying any of the parts. Same with Park City, same with Whistler, you need to spend a few days there, focus each day on one sector. Anyone trying to cover both Whistler and Blackcomb on the same day would end up saying the same of "it's a long way to get to xx, and you need to head back right away" too!

That said, Vail without fresh snow isn't particularly special. So your expectation might be a bit unrealistic.

Yes I've heard from numerous people to skip the frontside and head straight to the back bowls. I definitely want to spend more time back there since we know our way around a little bit. Blue Sky Basin is where I'd head straight to the 2nd time around. I also think some of the double back terrain on the frontside looks interesting too though. I didn't get a chance to ski any of it this trip.

Tony

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using AlpineZone mobile app

I don’t like to spend “just a day” at any large’ish mountain. Always have a hard time with deciding “should I lap this last run which was excellent”? Or should I move on as I only got one day and I haven’t seen the rest of the mountain yet?

For me, it’s alway 2-3 days on the first trip.

Once I know the mountain better, I will go for a single day because I know exactly where to go base on the day’s condition.

Does anyone have any thoughts regarding the double blacks on the frontside? Are they worth doing? Prima Cornice looks pretty good.....

Tony

Only taken 3 runs down the front. Once each time I went.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone
    2010/11 - 30days 2011/12 - 29days 2012/13 - 40 days 2013/14 - 39 days 2014/15 - 42 days
    2015/2016 -27 days 2016/17 - 51 days 2017/18 - 57 days 2018/19 - 75 days

Quote Originally Posted by Tonyr View Post
    Does anyone have any thoughts regarding the double blacks on the frontside? Are they worth doing? Prima Cornice looks pretty good.....
    Why?

Quote Originally Posted by abc View Post
    Why?
    I like to ski challenging terrain and am wondering how the double black runs are on the frontside of Vail since I didn't get a chance to try any while I was there. I am assuming that you don't ski that kind of terrain?

Of you want challenge at vail prima cornice is probably the best inbounds stuff.

Thread Information