• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Best Base Area Bars

Zand

Sitting at Mahogany Ridge right now looking at the countdown clock till it's torn down. It's always been one of my favorites and it sucks that the new lodge will probably be some yuppie bullshit that I'd just go to Stratton if I wanted something like that. Anyway, my top 5 in no particular order...

Bear Den at Burke
Stark's Pub at MRG
Cannonball Pub at Cannon
Mahogany Ridge at K
The Den at Stowe

Nothing in the west compares to New England bars.

jimmywilson69

The Den at Stowe is great. I really like CastleRock Pub at SB, just wish it had a view.

Not sure what the inside of the new K1 will look like, but its going to have 2 legit stories with lots of glass I wouldn't rule it out just yet...

Zand

The Den at Stowe is great. I really like CastleRock Pub at SB, just wish it had a view.

Not sure what the inside of the new K1 will look like, but its going to have 2 legit stories with lots of glass I wouldn't rule it out just yet...

Bartender here said the bar will be on the 3rd floor surrounded by glass. Im sure the view will be nice but you can't replace soul.

Last edited:

skiur

Sitting at Mahogany Ridge right now looking at the countdown clock till it's torn down. It's always been one of my favorites and it sucks that the new lodge will probably be some yuppie bullshit that I'd just go to Stratton if I wanted something like that. Anyway, my top 5 in no particular order...

Bear Den at Burke
Stark's Pub at MRG
Cannonball Pub at Cannon
Mahogany Ridge at K
The Den at Stowe

Nothing in the west compares to New England bars.

Ive been wondering what they are going to do with all the stuff on the walls in Mahogany, bartenders had no idea what the plans were.....some pretty cool stuff on the walls in there and I think some of it would look pretty cool in my basement.

jimmywilson69

agreed you can't replace the vibe of an older building, but the lodges at Killington are all well worn and it'll be nice to have a new much lager more functional facility.

Edd

I’ve been to nearly all the bars above, but Wildcat’s pub works best for me. Two decks facing both the Cat and Mt Washington. Mellowest possible vibe. On a spring day, there’s nothing better.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Killingtime

Black Line was rocking this past Saturday. Effed up on Fiddleheads. Honorable mention to the Paul Bunyan Room @ Loon. Best apres tacos....Fire on the Mountain at Powder Ridge in Ct. (I know, don't laugh but the food there is seriously good)

2Planker

I’ve been to nearly all the bars above, but Wildcat’s pub works best for me. Two decks facing both the Cat and Mt Washington. Mellowest possible vibe. On a spring day, there’s nothing better.

Oh well, It was a lil known secret....
Great pub !

Keep moving on. Nothing to see here....

mister moose

Bartender here said the bar will be on the 3rd floor surrounded by glass. Im sure the view will be nice but you can't replace soul.

Que? Mahogany Ridge has soul? I dunno. The best I could say would be that it has patina. Peak Lodge Bar has a nice view out over the Gondola towers, and a ready supply of K regulars. Nice bar menu too.

Honorable mention to Sushi Yoshi with 21 beer taps, as it's not a base area bar, it's 2 miles down the road. A little less prestigious beers this season, but in general they have been outstanding in their selection, then add in free General Tsao's wings and friendly bartenders and you have a winning recipe.

Smellytele

Think we had this conversation before but anyway my top 3 would be:

Sled pub at pats
Bears den at Burke
Stark’s Pub at MRG
Need one for ones we don’t like at all.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I agree on Mahogany being not really a place with "soul". It's kind of just an extension of KBL with a bar. No real character IMO.

Interesting that Sushi Yoshi is a hit in Killington. While their franchise in Stowe is busy, I don't know many locals who hang there much. Matterhorn, Doc Ponds, Piecasso, Idletyme, Burt's or even stopping in the Alchemist would all be better apres choices up there.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

mister moose

I agree on Mahogany being not really a place with "soul". It's kind of just an extension of KBL with a bar. No real character IMO.

Interesting that Sushi Yoshi is a hit in Killington. While their franchise in Stowe is busy, I don't know many locals who hang there much. Matterhorn, Doc Ponds, Piecasso, Idletyme, Burt's or even stopping in the Alchemist would all be better apres choices up there.
Dunno about Sushi Yoshi in Stowe. At Killington, they not only have their share of locals, but where else are you going to get Hill Farmstead, Foley Bros, Four Quarters, Bourbon County Stout, and a dozen other worthwhile beers on tap? Sure, you'll catch a few at Worthy Burger or Worthy Kitchen, or Prohibition Pig, but those aren't ski towns, and they don't have 21 taps. "No crap on tap" proudly adorns the tap line.

All that said, this year the selection is down a notch. Hopefully they get back on track.

Tonyr

My favorites at the bases are......

Green Mountain Lounge at Mt Ellen
General Starks at MRG
Mulligan's at Stratton
Spruce Camp Bar at Stowe

My absolute favorite spot for apres is the Matterhorn which isn't really a base lodge bar unless you count sking down to it from the Bruce trail.