• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Best Base Area Bars

The Sneak

I was a jr patroller @ Klein Innsbruck in 1993-94 (10th grade). I took my medical course there in the spring of 93 and passed the practicum in June 93 at Wachusset. In fact, the day of my exam the Coppertop lounge area still had all the presentations up for the “big expansion” Wawa had recently announced. The one that took ten years and was a shell of the original proposal, but I digress.

Klein Innsbruck had 2 Hall doubles. We usually ran the one on lookers left. One of the other patrollers was a high school soccer teammate. I later dated a girl whose brother and father were also both patrollers.

It’s base area was a lot smaller than say, Yawgoo Valley, which I live ten minutes from now. Actually KI’s vertical was actually bit bigger than Yawgoo’s true vert IIRC. But yes, Klein’s had a restaurant and lounge called “Rumplestiltsken’s” that was always busy.

I went to high school with a granddaughter or grandniece of the owner, Stanley. He screamed at me one day for a good ten minutes because I ignored a pair of goggles on the ground. I’m a patroller not lost and found, no? Wrong answer, it turns out.

KI closed 20 years ago and they blasted / graded out a lot of the hill (Oak Hill on a USGS topographic map). I can’t imagine there’s anything left since the whole base area was razed and became senior housing.

I’d you want to see where it was, take 495 to exit 16 (King St) and head towards Woonsocket. KI was about 3 or 4 miles down on the left.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

snoseek

I was a jr patroller @ Klein Innsbruck in 1993-94 (10th grade). I took my medical course there in the spring of 93 and passed the practicum in June 93 at Wachusset. In fact, the day of my exam the Coppertop lounge area still had all the presentations up for the “big expansion” Wawa had recently announced. The one that took ten years and was a shell of the original proposal, but I digress.

Klein Innsbruck had 2 Hall doubles. We usually ran the one on lookers left. One of the other patrollers was a high school soccer teammate. I later dated a girl whose brother and father were also both patrollers.

It’s base area was a lot smaller than say, Yawgoo Valley, which I live ten minutes from now. Actually KI’s vertical was actually bit bigger than Yawgoo’s true vert IIRC. But yes, Klein’s had a restaurant and lounge called “Rumplestiltsken’s” that was always busy.

I went to high school with a granddaughter or grandniece of the owner, Stanley. He screamed at me one day for a good ten minutes because I ignored a pair of goggles on the ground. I’m a patroller not lost and found, no? Wrong answer, it turns out.

KI closed 20 years ago and they blasted / graded out a lot of the hill (Oak Hill on a USGS topographic map). I can’t imagine there’s anything left since the whole base area was razed and became senior housing.

I’d you want to see where it was, take 495 to exit 16 (King St) and head towards Woonsocket. KI was about 3 or 4 miles down on the left.

I always like reading people's personal experiences at small defunct little places.

Anyone here ever ski at the amesbury ski hill aka Atlantic forest back in the day? Some of my early turns went down there. We like it better than Bradford as it had a bit more pitch.

Smellytele

I always like reading people's personal experiences at small defunct little places.

Anyone here ever ski at the amesbury ski hill aka Atlantic forest back in the day? Some of my early turns went down there. We like it better than Bradford as it had a bit more pitch.

Is that the one right on 495?

snoseek

Is that the one right on 495?

No that's a snow tubing place. This one is on an obscure road in the newton nh/south hampton/amesbury area. It was all surface lifts and really just a big open area. For me it was like 15 minutes of back roads so it was easy to score a ride. Tiny but fun.

drjeff

I skied Klein Innsbruck once in either 90 or 91... Classical old, small, local New England area. Had some old school Larchmont snow guns as I recall

As for the original topic... I added the Cannonball pub at Cannon to my ski area bar list today....

Really liked it!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app

Shredmonkey254

Right you are, it was the Canton Ski Club that I explored.

On topic, but off mountain, I always liked the Belfry down the road from Jay Peak. And for a ski restaurant, there was Zac's on the Rocks which was a dining experience with illegible menus, wading thru the stuff hanging from the ceiling and Zac dressed like a wizard - a real crazy place. Miss that!
Yeah, it's called Ski Sundown, open this weekend (?) Maybe you're thinking of the old Canton Ski Club?

Back to topic,

View attachment 26529

Not like any other Fiddlehead, not even 2nd Fiddle, (way better) and on tap right now at Sushi Yoshi, Killington.

puckoach

Klein Innsbruck in 1993-94

Klein Innsbruck had 2 Hall doubles.
Actually KI’s vertical was actually bit bigger than Yawgoo’s true vert IIRC. But yes, Klein’s had a restaurant and lounge called “Rumplestiltsken’s” that was always busy.

KI closed 20 years ago.

To the threads topic.

This was an outstanding bar during 70's and onward.

Smellytele

No that's a snow tubing place. This one is on an obscure road in the newton nh/south hampton/amesbury area. It was all surface lifts and really just a big open area. For me it was like 15 minutes of back roads so it was easy to score a ride. Tiny but fun.

It used to be a ski area as well.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

ceo

I drive past the site of the place in Amesbury semi-regularly. Used to be you could see the remains of what I'm pretty sure was a detachable Poma, but that's long since gone and the top of the hill has been developed.

EPB

This one arguably shouldn't count, but I've always enjoyed the shovel handle at Black Mountain. It's across the parking lot from the lodge and opens at 4 when the lifts stop.

Sent from my VS988 using AlpineZone mobile app

jimk

The best base area bar for me is the trunk of my car.

Much better beer, I control the tunes and there are usually a few like minded people in the lot to socialize with.

I go with above. Not a bar person, but usually appreciate it when a hill empties around 2:30 PM because everyone else is heading in to the bar.
PS: most famous slopeside bar in the mid-Atlantic is the Foggy Goggle at Seven Springs, PA. Must admit it draws a fun crowd on a Sunday when the Steelers are winning.