• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Looking for advice on joining a ski club/lodge.

BenedictGomez

Then I taught her to ski.

Similar; my wife didnt downhill ski when I met her, she only skied XC, but that made her transition to alpine easier. Though the minute I tried to teach her to ski I instantly realized I'm not qualified to teach people how to ski.

bizarrefaith

Though the minute I tried to teach her to ski I instantly realized I'm not qualified to teach people how to ski.

Had same realization with kids -- everyone will have a lot more fun learning and skiing if somebody else does the teaching.

jaytrem

Had same realization with kids -- everyone will have a lot more fun learning and skiing if somebody else does the teaching.

Totally disagree, nothing I enjoyed more than teaching my kids to ski.

I have seen that one as well. I haven't been able to convince the wife it's not slave labor and we would have our own area together.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

sterling's lodges have both regular and dorm style rooms. we have always been able to have our family in private rooms, but that might not be a possibility if you wanted to be there at the busiest times without booking at least a couple weeks/months in advance. the chores were as described, nothing more than you would do at home, and we take pride in leaving it nicer than we found it and modeling that for the kids, so it's all good. we were apprehensive about how the "mixed" dynamic would play out but it is family friendly and as one might guess, skiers who take the time to join a place like this are by and large decent folks. it was total mix of families, singles, retirees and ski bums. we've had a very good time every time we've stayed but now i think we actually might be outgrowing it a little as the kids get bigger and a family we require a little more of 'our own' space. that said, i could definitely see coming back into the fold in 5-10 years. it has really served us well, though. being a family of four flatlanders, if you want to go away for multiple days up north with any frequency the real bugaboo turns into lodging expense. they have work weekends where you can earn free stays, but otherwise the only commitment was yearly dues.

AdironRider

You're a moron Adironrider. You should probably stick to Jackson discussions because you are way off base here.

Except for this season, I've spent more time at Wildcat than anywhere else since about 2012. My two best ski buddies at Wildcat belong to Makasue which is 50/50 male to female ratio.

Now enough with your bullshit and patently false assumptions and here is the truth about the club scene.

There are about 20 clubs in the valley. A few of them are family oriented, a handful skew a little older, but the vast majority have members mainly in their mid 20s to early 30s and their houses all ski hard and party harder. The members often say they belong to a drinking club with a skiing problem. The women tend to be either ex high school or college racers that participate in the EICSL race league or young professionals from metro Boston or Portland who simply love to ski and hang out in the valley. There are plenty of attractive, single female skiers in the MWV club scene. Pretty much all the clubs only accept single members over the age of 21. No couples.

Now contrast that with my experience ski bumming in Stowe 20-25 years ago. There was barely a hint of single, female ski bums. Pretty much the only time girls became available were ones who moved to town with their boyfriends and ended up breaking up.

I live a life of very few regrets, but not getting involved in the MWV ski club scene when I was single and in my 20s would definitely be one of them. It's a helluva a good time. Quite frankly I'm surprised there's not a long waiting list to join.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

Sure DH, you, the mid 40's Dad (who doesn't live there either) are the expert on this apparently booming mid 20's single ladies ski scene, which is apparently exclusive to the Mt Washington Valley. Total expert there.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Sure DH, you, the mid 40's Dad (who doesn't live there either) are the expert on this apparently booming mid 20's single ladies ski scene, which is apparently exclusive to the Mt Washington Valley. Total expert there.
How far are willing to go to make yourself look like a freaking idiot. I literally talk to my two buddies about the ongoings in the club scene every week. My one buddy joined after his divorce a couple of years ago and did quite well for himself. I've met some of the female members in the Cat pub and hear the stories from the nights prior.

But yeah, I'm sure you know more about it having lived in Jackson for however long it's been and likely not skied in the Valley since high school.

All those long lines you've dealt with in Jackson this winter have really turned you into a bigger wannabe know it all tool bag than you have historically been on here. Good luck with that champ.

asnowmobiler

I like the sound of this and will definitely look into it.

Another option is the share house. These exist at several mountains, but I get the impression Killington has way more than elsewhere.

In a share house you buy a bed, or a room, for the whole season, or every other week for the whole season. (That's called a half share) So for your every other weekend schedule, a 1/2 share could work very well. Each house is different in their member makeup, age range, married vs single or mixed, party house or get up early. Unfortunately there is no central clearing house so it will take some research to find a house that suits your needs. Good resources are google (Killington share house) Mountain Times classifieds in the summer/fall, Killingtonzone in the housing forum. Some houses have an any open bed policy (which I would hate) and some you get your own dedicated room. Leave your stuff there. No more toting skis boots, skis, and sheets and pillows every weekend.

When you buy a 1/2 share and a season pass, your cost per weekend goes way down, you make new friends, and your ski days go up.

And yes, single women do exist. A lot are low-mid intermediates on the hunt, some 25-30 and single, some 40 post divorce. One was an awesome bumper. I did meet one ex racer fashion diva. In fact, some ski houses are all female. The overall ratio is still low, so it's not "a target rich environment". But if you want to meet someone, there's the lift line, the slopes, the resort bar, the happy hour bar, Ski house parties (many houses are social with other houses) , the Wobbly and the Pickle. All that said, I met my non skier wife in a city after work bar, not a ski bar. Our first trip together was the Bahamas. Then I taught her to ski.

AdironRider

How far are willing to go to make yourself look like a freaking idiot. I literally talk to my two buddies about the ongoings in the club scene every week. My one buddy joined after his divorce a couple of years ago and did quite well for himself. I've met some of the female members in the Cat pub and hear the stories from the nights prior.

But yeah, I'm sure you know more about it having lived in Jackson for however long it's been and likely not skied in the Valley since high school.

All those long lines you've dealt with in Jackson this winter have really turned you into a bigger wannabe know it all tool bag than you have historically been on here. Good luck with that champ.

Sure DH, I'm totally convinced you have apparently found the one ski town in America with a thriving single ladies scene, and they all are part of ski clubs in the Mt. Washington Valley.

There is a reason no one believes you, and there aren't waiting lists, and it is because a bunch of single girls and ski towns have never coexisted anywhere, let alone in Conway. It is kinda amusing to see a washed up old guy think he still has it though, guys embellishing stories about girls are stories as old as time.

Bosco DaSkia

AdironRider

Singles only ski clubs....

https://www.eicsl.org/makusue-ski-and-sport-club.html

https://www.eicsl.org/randolph-ski-club.html

https://www.eicsl.org/ski-bees-ski-club.html

https://www.eicsl.org/wedeln-ski-club.html

All the clubs....

https://www.eicsl.org/clubs.html

And that’s just in New Hampshire... Vermont, Connecticut and New York all got the same shit going on.

Remember, you don’t know what you don’t know.

I know that none of these people are spring chickens, to use a term a bunch of old guys would probably use.

http://www.ski-bees.com/photos57.htm

http://makusue.org/activities/social/

https://www.facebook.com/wedelnskiclub/

However, now I do believe DH when he says divorced older dudes are members.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Sure DH, I'm totally convinced you have apparently found the one ski town in America with a thriving single ladies scene, and they all are part of ski clubs in the Mt. Washington Valley.

There is a reason no one believes you, and there aren't waiting lists, and it is because a bunch of single girls and ski towns have never coexisted anywhere, let alone in Conway. It is kinda amusing to see a washed up old guy think he still has it though, guys embellishing stories about girls are stories as old as time.
Hyperbole much?!? I wasn't saying it's freaking Daytona Beach on spring break in the Valley. But the fact is, if your single, looking for cheap lodging and like to party, the MWV ski club scene is a blast and a good option vs just staying in some s-hole motel and hoping for the best going to the Moat. I have never heard a word to the contrary from friends that are members and others I've talked to in the valley. But big, bad Jackson Air Force Adironrider who's banged every ten in the Tetons clearly knows better.

I rarely pull the "retard card", but you're really acting like a fucking retard here. Always have been, but only getting worse as you yourself enter middle age and can't seem to shake your internet tough guy attitude you joined this forum years ago as snotty know it all punk fresh out of SLU. How's that Jackson restaurant coming along you were so convinced you'd own back in the day?

asnowmobiler

Thanks to everyone that gave meaningful, helpful feedback in PMs and on here. I have seen some great options and looking forward to this adventure.
We only have 8 months till next season.

jaytrem

Is SLU an acronym I should know?

Saint Lawrence University maybe?

Typical shares houses at Mount Snow seemed to be around a 50/50 male/female ratio in the 2000s. No doubt lots of people there for the social aspect as much as the skiing. Age range was mostly upper 20s to 40ish I'd guess. A number of house would host of season meetups at bars in NYC to recruit. Also lots of overlap with Fire Island/Hamptons share houses. Why not party year round.

Now of course the women were mostly there only on the weekends. No doubt more ski bum men than women hanging around ski areas the rest of the week.