Corona Virus, Mega Passes and crowds this weekend..... - Page 2

AlpineZone

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by cdskier View Post
    Can we get a pool going on who will do it next?

There's going to be so many, how will you keep track? It's only a matter of time now

Quote Originally Posted by icecoast1 View Post
    There's going to be so many, how will you keep track? It's only a matter of time now
    Agreed; resorts that resist shutting down will be shamed into doing so.

Get your skiing in in the next week, last call!

Quote Originally Posted by Kleetus View Post
    I think there is a real possibility that some ski areas shut their doors early over the virus risk if things keep progressing the way they are. Not so much because doing so greatly reduces the virus risk, but because the virus risk presents cover for resorts to close early and save $$$ since most are only open at this point as an obligation to pass holders.

Given the lean winter we have had in the east, I could see the paranoia over the virus being a convenient cover for areas to recoup some of their losses wile being able to conveniently state they are closing early for public safety instead of for monetary reasons. Maybe even out west too, especially at places that close in a couple weeks anyways.
    This right here. Marginal conditions and a pandemic going around would give enough reason for many places to close down.
    SoVT

Speaking as someone who lives in a small town with a big resort, not having an extra thousand people touching the freezer-case handles in the grocery store seems like a good thing to me. It could be that this is getting blown out of proportion, or it could be that we're under-reacting, and it's really hard to say right now because we don't have enough solid data.

And no, I'm not going to stop skiing, but I'm going to try to minimize my indoor time, because that's where the close proximity to other people is the greatest issue. If we could close lodges and just provide bathroom access (and hand-sanitizing stations), that would probably be an effective mitigation step, but I don't think that's realistic from an operational standpoint. I'm already being more vigilant about sanitizing my hands when I get in my truck, before touching the steering wheel or radio.

Given the data we do have available, and knowing that Maine is one of the older states in the nation (demographically), I see a net community benefit to reducing visitation, despite the huge economic hit that would come with that. Being prepared for it to be worse and being wrong is far better than not taking significant steps and ending up with an overwhelmed health-care system.

Yes, it's relatively easy for me to say that—my direct economic benefit from the resort being open at this point isn't significant, and I've got family members in elevated-risk categories—but I hope (and do believe) that the people making those decisions are considering the health impacts on their employees and the local community, as well as the short- and long-term economic impacts.
    Disclaimer: Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself, unless I'm saying something incredibly dumb, in which case I didn't say anything and you're hallucinating.

i hear so many people calling this a hysteria, but based on what is going on in Italy, this thing is scary.

i am also curious what kind of weekend it would be like.
    gladerider

driving to vermont in my private vehicle and skiing outside alone all day sounds a lot safer than hanging around this petri dish. ice be damned.

Quote Originally Posted by cdskier View Post
    Can we get a pool going on who will do it next?
    Boston seems to be a hotbed, I'll go with Wachusett.

Quote Originally Posted by JimG. View Post
    Agreed; resorts that resist shutting down will be shamed into doing so.

Get your skiing in in the next week, last call!
    With good snow still left on the trails, time to break out the AT gear & earn your turns.
    Sugarbush skier since 1985.........Think Snow!

Quote Originally Posted by jaytrem View Post
    Boston seems to be a hotbed, I'll go with Wachusett.
    They just put a spring pass on sale last week...if they shut down today they'd have to refund and that would never happen. Nashoba, Bradford, etc will be next.
    2003-2004: 21; 2004-2005: 27; 2005-2006: 31; 2006-2007: 31; 2007-2008: 38; 2008-2009: 43; 2009-2010: 42; 2010-2011: 46; 2011-2012: 33; 2012-2013: 26 2013-14: 18; 2014-15: 17; 2015-16: 7; 2016-17: 14; 2017-18: 23; 2018-19: 34

2019-20 days - 23
    Wachusett: 11/15, 11/21, 12/5, 3/15
    Stratton: 11/26; Mt. Snow: 12/3; Killington: 12/8, 3/2
    Sunday River: 1/21, 1/28; Snow King: 2/9
    Jackson Hole: 2/10, 2/11, 2/12, 2/13, 2/14
    Sugarloaf 2/23, 2/24, 2/25; Waterville: 3/17
    Sugarbush: 3/8, 3/9 (w/MRG), 3/10

Nashoba's already closed.
    Sugarbush skier since 1985.........Think Snow!

Thread Information