• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Corona Virus, Mega Passes and crowds this weekend.....

MEtoVTSkier

Was thinking about going skiing this weekend but with conditions looking bad and the fact that I work and live near Boston, aka the Hub of coronavirus, it's only a matter of time until I get it, or start showing symptoms if I have it already.

I don't wanna be that guy that gets Vermont infected so I'll pass. It's crazy here in Mass. Today it went to over 100 confirmed cases. I'm honestly afraid for everyone here. Wish I lived in Maine where there are no cases.

We have a confirmed case in the Lewiston-Auburn area. Also a case in New Brunswick in the Fredericton area. It's really only a matter of time. No toilet paper left in Northern Maine now either, and I have never seen the grocery store so busy on a Thursday afternoon as today. You'd think a Blizzard was coming in tomorrow instead of rain...

:dontknow:

jimk

I will be watching to see here in Utah if school/college closings cause locals to go skiing next week in droves?

BenedictGomez

I was at a different Costco in New Jersey today, more rural than the last one = same result. No toilet paper, all the racks from floor to ceiling were empty, and if you're familiar with Costco, floor to ceiling is impressive.

Again, I just dont get the toilet paper thing.

dblskifanatic

In all honesty, the first case of COVID-19 in Colorado was a tourist that skied at Keystone and Vail that was from out of country. So mega passes do at track the masses. Three more case popped up at Aspen days later!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

icecoast1

Was thinking about going skiing this weekend but with conditions looking bad and the fact that I work and live near Boston, aka the Hub of coronavirus, it's only a matter of time until I get it, or start showing symptoms if I have it already.

I don't wanna be that guy that gets Vermont infected so I'll pass. It's crazy here in Mass. Today it went to over 100 confirmed cases. I'm honestly afraid for everyone here. Wish I lived in Maine where there are no cases.

Theres already been cases in Vermont but at least as of now no huge clusters which is probably the only thing keeping the mountains open. But its only a matter of time especially with people coming from everywhere

deadheadskier

Staff member
I was at a different Costco in New Jersey today, more rural than the last one = same result. No toilet paper, all the racks from floor to ceiling were empty, and if you're familiar with Costco, floor to ceiling is impressive.

China is the number 1 toilet paper producer in the world. Italy, South Korea and Japan are also top ten producers. The four countries all have a virus issue with varying degrees of lock down and potential supply chain disruptions that ultimately are probably going to be pretty minor.

Maybe some execs in the toilet paper trade started whispering to others, "If you want to wipe your ass, stock up as we might have a problem."

The memes came out over the weekend and everyone started to rush to buy and now we likely have false scarcity psychological buying decisions on a large scale.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

MEtoVTSkier

The Super Wal-Mart, in Presque Isle Maine on Thursday, March 13, 2020. How much more Rural do you want to get?

wheres is the TP.jpg

Evidently, we don't make much TP here in the US anymore, most of it comes from...... China! (As told to me yesterday by an IGA store manager)

:(

We really need to bring manufacturing back to our own country, before we get defeated by the lack of basic necessities.

Meanwhile, Bidet futures are up by how much?! :lol:

Zermatt

Whiteface closing gondola for the season and will reduce seating capacity in lodges.

Jackson Hole will reduce tram capacity. I heard 27.

10 cases in Aspen all related to travelers but likely in the community as well. They are controlling the lift capacity as well.

Killington will reduce seating capacity in lodges. No word on lifts yet. They confirmed in a tweet they would pro rate spring passes if closed early....no idea how that would work and would it apply to full season passes?

KustyTheKlown

The Super Wal-Mart, in Presque Isle Maine on Thursday, March 13, 2020. How much more Rural do you want to get?

View attachment 26567

Evidently, we don't make much TP here in the US anymore, most of it comes from...... China! (As told to me yesterday by an IGA store manager)

:(

We really need to bring manufacturing back to our own country, before we get defeated by the lack of basic necessities.

Meanwhile, Bidet futures are up by how much?! :lol:

this is how our whole foods looked last night. first we went to target and got junk food and shelf stable stuff like pasta and jarred sauces and waters and stuff. target was a bit picked thru but had stock and the people weren't too crazy. no hand sanitizer or toilet paper tho.

then we went to whole foods to get meat to freeze and it looked like your pic. the freezers, dry pasta/rice, and meat sections were decimated. we got the last small pack of chicken cutlets in the store. girlfriend went to eataly this morning (gourmet italian grocer, so a bougey place with no parking lot) and was able to get mroe chicken, pork chops, ground beef.

amazon is sold out of toilet paper. i stole some industrial style rolls from work. chafed buttholes here we come.

jimmywilson69

like we literally need TP... We bought the last $40, yes $40 Fucking Dollar, Warehouse club sized package. We aren't using it until absolutely necessary in hopes we can pickup some normal priced TP.

Normally the BJs brand is $17.99 and that lasts like 2 months. Who's buying $40 TP????

mikec142

Blue Mountain in PA just announced they are closing after this weekend. While they did mention Covid-19 as a reason to cancel season ending events, the closing is due to weather.