• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Berkshire East and Catamount Closed for Season

cdskier

I do not ski at Catamount or BE, but saying that is "not happening" is just guessing without having access to the numbers. They probably saw a reduction in visits that was well beyond the normal patterns.

Your hypothetical was that they are only getting 10% of normal visits (i.e. 90% of the people stopped skiing). BG saying that isn't happening is a pretty damn good bet. You may see a drop, but 90% is just ridiculous... Plus you haven't even gone through a weekend yet with this hysteria in full swing so you don't even know how much your business has dropped during your peak times.

2Planker

ALL Done:
NBA
NHL
MLB Spring Training
World Cup Skiing
Big East BBall Tourney

Still On - BUT NO FANS
March Maddness
Hockey East Tourney
PGA

Sadly, Much more to follow......

Killingtime

Mt Abram is pulling the plug after this weekend....

This Weekend at Mt Abram
Due to the deteriorating snow conditions on the mountain and the very real threat of the COVID-19 virus, management has decided that this Sunday, March 15th will be the last day of ski operations for the season. Like many businesses, schools, and governments, we feel closing the mountain is the most responsible thing to do in these unprecedented times to ensure the well-being of our employees and customers.

Fortunately unlike other seasons, this is not a farewell until next winter. We are beyond excited to start on our projects to expand the experience here at Mt. Abram beyond skiing to include summer and fall activities. We hope you will join us this weekend for a few last turns and entertainment in Loose Boots Lounge on Saturday with Doug Alford & Steve Caswell starting at 3 followed by Crime Scene at 7.

Stay tuned for the launch of summer and winter season early bird pass sale next week and continued updates on summer operations.

Thank you everyone for your continued support and a great season!

The Mt Abram Ownership & Management Team

Shoot I wanted to try Mt Abram toward the end of the month when I hit SR. Oh well there is always next year.

urungus

Snuck out to Berkshire East for a few turns this afternoon when I heard the news. My first time on the slopes since breaking my arm in December. Figured this might be my last chance anywhere until the fall. Place was a ghost town.

Looking up Comp:
4D8705A2-D995-43F7-9377-B3573203127F.jpeg

Heading down Big Chief:
13586EA3-27A4-43AE-98D5-AC8756737D2E.jpeg

E33B528D-0F6A-455D-B58A-CCE5CF3EF6D1.jpeg

Bosco DaSkia

Middlebury College Snow Bowl's up next....

SNOW NEWS for
Thursday March 12, 2020
Dear Skiers and Snow Boarders,

Middlebury College has taken measures in response to current health events. Due to these restrictions on visitors and gatherings, the Middlebury College Snow Bowl and Rikert Nordic Center will close for the season at 4 p.m., Sunday, March 15, 2020. Ski School will continue through 4 p.m., Sunday, March 15.

Additionally, all events scheduled at the Snow Bowl and Rikert are canceled immediately.

Thank you for your understanding.

Most of all, thank you for spending a great 2019-2020 season with us. We look forward to seeing you in the fall

Best,

Michael Hussey
General Manager
Middlebury Snow Bowl and Rikert Nordic Center
Middlebury College
802-443-2792

BenedictGomez

Jay Peak put out a message that they remain open & dont see a reason to close.

Also, Jay Peak has snow.

I'm seeing a pattern here.

skimagic

CT Snowbelt mountains Sundown and Mt Southington closed yesterday. Powder Ridge promoting synthetic, and Mohawk holding on.

jimmywilson69

the 3 Vail owned resorts in Southcentral PA are closing Sunday but this was likely planned 2 weeks ago, because the snow isn't going to last much longer...

This isn't completely out of the norm either. Maybe they go 1 or 2 weeks longer if we get a late snow storm, which obviously didn't happen
this year

TyWebb

the 3 Vail owned resorts in Southcentral PA are closing Sunday but this was likely planned 2 weeks ago, because the snow isn't going to last much longer...

This isn't completely out of the norm either. Maybe they go 1 or 2 weeks longer if we get a late snow storm, which obviously didn't happen
this year

Blue Mt Pa dunzo after this weekend. March 15th is the last day ...

jimmywilson69

that seems early for them, no? Did they not make enough snow this year?

they are a little further north than the 3 I mentioned, but not significantly

TyWebb

that seems early for them, no? Did they not make enough snow this year?

they are a little further north than the 3 I mentioned, but not significantly
I might disagree with the corona aspect of closing (just me personally) but it also seems a main part was "due to weather this will be our last weekend in operation." Respect their honesty on this and I read that as we're closing for the season due to weather not the coronavirus. This weeks weather and next weeks forecast, just terrible.

KustyTheKlown

meh. all these CT/MA places need to just say 'its been pouring we have no snow we're losing money' and not put this on the virus. it seems really disingenuous.

Killingtime

meh. all these CT/MA places need to just say 'its been pouring we have no snow we're losing money' and not put this on the virus. it seems really disingenuous.

Yeah, I don't think I've worn a winter coat outside in three weeks now. It's just been a crap year. The Mohawk cam didn't look terrible. They probably could've patched it up and squeezed another weekend but with everyone else closing I kinda get it. Next week looks miserable too.

machski

Sunday River has cancelled ths weekend's Master of the Mountain race event and the spring brewfest.

Killington has cancelled all spring events including the K1 lodge teardown party. They will also close all smaller venue eateries on mountain and are removing tables and cairs from lodges while instituting strict lodge capacity measures. Also, they will be limiting loading guests on the Gondolas and Snowdon 6 to space them more per cabin/chair.

Out west, many are limiting or closing their Gondolas and Trams (Snowbird has shut their Tram, JHMR will restrict capacity on the Tram and Gondolas, Aspens will not board unrelated parties on any of their Gondolas together).

Loon has closed their Gondola indefinitely. Seven Bros and East Basin will spin daily.

Stay safe everyone.

Sent from my SM-T830 using AlpineZone mobile app