• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Are brakes interchangeable?

Bumpsis

Can the brake units be changed on a binding's heel piece or are they all integrated into the heel piece?

I'm contemplating getting a pair of new skis but I'd like to retain my current PX 12 Dynastar binding. This is just a rebrand of a Look binding like the Look SPX 12. My current ski is 80mm waist (Rossie S80) so jumping onto the same width new pair is of no issue, but if I decide to go to something like an 82mm waist or 84mm, like Rossignol Experience 84 AI, I am facing a brake dilemma and possibly more $$ for a new binding.

I just hate to throw away a perfectly good binding if I can't transfer it. I really like the great elasticity of both the toe and especially the heel piece.

I'm also eyeing the Atomic Vantage 79 TI but that one just comes with a biding system so it's a moot issue.

By the way, if anyone here is on the Atomic Vantage 79 or the Vantage 82 TI, let me know what you think. I know they are great on hard, icy cover which is most of what we have out here in the east. How are they on loose, chopped up pow and tighter trees and moguls? I don't get to ski those conditions often but I do OK there now on my S80s

Bumpsis

and get a big boy ski >90 mm :p

I appreciate the spirit in which this is given, but seriously, I sincerely doubt I'll ever go to the "pontoon" size boats unless I retire and move to BC. I have rented them when out west and it's fine, but for out here, I love skiing on my "skinnies". Quick, nimble, easy fit in mogul troughs and awesome carvers.
I know that high skill skiers can put a wide ski on its edge and rip GS arcs down a hard groomer as well as a narrow race skier, but I'm kind of old school. Alternatively, I could still ski boot high powder on a 195cm 68mm waist ski if I had to - prefer modern tools for that, but I could :)

KustyTheKlown

thanks for recognizing that my comment was good natured

but really, with the advances in ski technology, a 90-100 ski is not wide, even by eastern standards. my daily is a 105. my western is a 118. i have an old pair of 85s that i never ever ski but dont have the heart to throw away.

i would maybe get a lightweight 90ish for a dedicated touring ski, but beyond that, 100+

jimmywilson69

yeah my daily is a 96 and I've done all but 10 days at my hill in PA. I still have a 90 "carving" ski that I use when its really hard, but even that isn't technically a carver like you mentioned.

KustyTheKlown

and this is vanity entirely, but the graphics and looks of wider skis are just so much cooler than narrower ones. i'm sure there are some exceptions, but in my opinion most 75-85 front side carvers are super lame to look at. cool race car skis guy.

Bumpsis

I suppose it's really a personal preference then since the functionality, meaning what a ski can do, at least out here in the east may be the same (wide vs not so wide).

For 2019/2020 there seems to be a trend towards a less wider ski. Blizzard released an 82mm version of its Brahma. They look just great. Apparently, an awesome ski.
Volkl Deacon 80 looks fine too - yeah, I have been looking.

As to the lame look, well, one can look at the wide ski and think, "what are these posers doing on these hard packed slopes? wishing they were out west bowl skiing?" :razz: (keeping it light)

KustyTheKlown

if i am on my kastle bmx118s in the east, then yea sure. but on my 105s, nope, those people are just ignant.

and i've skied the 118s at mad, stowe, and jay on deep days and they were sweeeeeet.

Bumpsis

Thanks again for the brake info response and the link (Kusty) to the Look's brakes. That's very helpful!!

dblskifanatic

Rossignol and Look being technically the same company works. But other brads do not interchange. Bending works well for minor width differences and shopping for brakes for a specific binding also works. Width is not usually an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone