• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jay Peak closed for season as of Saturday 4pm

prsboogie

MOUNT Snow cancelled all extra curricular activities including my favorite ski and drink day, Winter BrewFest. Oh well.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

VTKilarney

Vermonters on Facebook are going crazy over the fact that ski areas remain open. The comments are quite xenophobic. The concern is that those darned New Yorkers are coming with their diseases.

machski

It's probably a 75% revenue decision for any of these places and 25% concern about the virus.

I mentioned this in another thread, but Boston hotels that traditionally have a 75% occupancy in March are now at 5%. Hardly anyone is going to be traveling for the foreseeable future. Even without a government mandate, if this weekend isn't the last weekend for ski areas, next weekend probably will be for nearly everywhere.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app
Look, Jay and Burke are poor barometers of what the ski industry will do. Sure, they are big and with Jay, get and still have a ton of snow. What everyone is forgetting is that they are both in Federal Receivership. The Receivers number 1 goal is preserve capital and sale price of the resorts. If they saw bookings fall off a cliff, and non pass ticket sales go with it, the receiver would really have no choice but to make this call. As to your loyal base, of course you blame it as much as possible in public on Covid-19. But I would bet this is a sale price economic move more than anything else, and why we can't infer anything on the rest of the industry from these 2 resort's moves.

Sent from my SM-T830 using AlpineZone mobile app

machski

I hope this isn't true. I'm sitting in Lincoln, NH getting ready to head out. Local news (WMUR) had a short piece on ski areas' response and mentioned that Cannon plans to remain open until April 12. Races and some other events have been cancelled. Also Loon closed gondola for the season and cancelled day care/ kids' lessons.
The snowpack is almost gone in town though.
NH declared an Emergency too, but State owned Cannon is still open and they are even running the tram still (granted at less than half capacity, with a max 30 riders per tram). So unless VT does something different with their State of Emergency, that alone won't close ski resorts. States do that primarily to open emergency fund pipelines that the respective Governors now have direct and more broad control over. Yes, they get Emergency Powers as well, but most Governor's will pump the brakes to using those unless things escalate. You don't want the entire economy to shut down and seize if you don't have to.

fbrissette

Look, Jay and Burke are poor barometers of what the ski industry will do. Sure, they are big and with Jay, get and still have a ton of snow. What everyone is forgetting is that they are both in Federal Receivership. The Receivers number 1 goal is preserve capital and sale price of the resorts. If they saw bookings fall off a cliff, and non pass ticket sales go with it, the receiver would really have no choice but to make this call. As to your loyal base, of course you blame it as much as possible in public on Covid-19. But I would bet this is a sale price economic move more than anything else, and why we can't infer anything on the rest of the industry from these 2 resort's moves.

You are very likely right. As a season pass holder it sucks big time. That's 6 week of skiing - including 4 really good weeks gone. They said on FB that season pass holder will get a rebate for next year, so that's a pretty nice gesture to lessen the blow. As long as they let us travel uphill during and after the next storm, we'll make the most of it.

deadheadskier

Staff member

Get back to me in a week.....maybe less

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

Slidebrook87

Tremblant seems to be confident that they can stay open even with the virus being very present. They are limiting capacity on the télécabine to 4 per cabin. Seems like a good preventative measure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BenedictGomez

So will Jay Peak have a new owner next year?

Two months ago I'd have said yes, now I'd say no.

Vermonters on Facebook are going crazy over the fact that ski areas remain open. The comments are quite xenophobic. The concern is that those darned New Yorkers are coming with their diseases.

Funny (in a sad way).

gregnye

It's is kinda funny actually.

Vermonters are worried about New Yorkers coming up spreading the virus. Meanwhile New Yorkers are angry that they can't take advantage of "working remote" and actually live in Vermont during this time period.

Meanwhile people like myself in the Boston area are more concerned for our lives and are mostly staying put.

New Yorkers acting selfish and unconcerned about the safety of others?? Sounds normal to me! :razz:

machski

Tremblant seems to be confident that they can stay open even with the virus being very present. They are limiting capacity on the télécabine to 4 per cabin. Seems like a good preventative measure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Why are they even using the Gondi's? The main Gondola is covered by two HSQ's on the South Side. Just shut the Gondolas completely.

BenedictGomez

Why are they even using the Gondi's? The main Gondola is covered by two HSQ's on the South Side. Just shut the Gondolas completely.

Exactly.

I'm all for ski resorts staying open given the outdoor nature of the sport, with the exception that gondolas should be shut down due to the tight enclosed nature of the cabin. Pretty shocked gondis would be running.