• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jay Peak closed for season as of Saturday 4pm

LONGBOARDR

Look, Jay and Burke are poor barometers of what the ski industry will do. Sure, they are big and with Jay, get and still have a ton of snow. What everyone is forgetting is that they are both in Federal Receivership. The Receivers number 1 goal is preserve capital and sale price of the resorts. If they saw bookings fall off a cliff, and non pass ticket sales go with it, the receiver would really have no choice but to make this call. As to your loyal base, of course you blame it as much as possible in public on Covid-19. But I would bet this is a sale price economic move more than anything else, and why we can't infer anything on the rest of the industry from these 2 resort's moves.

Sent from my SM-T830 using AlpineZone mobile app

Respectfully, it doesn't appear that way with Vail and Alterra following Jay's lead today.
While Michael Goldberg is the receiver, Steve W is making these calls. jay was fully booked out through March with Canadian holiday guests. Now they are offering full refunds or rescheduling into 2021, Steve's playing the long game and doing an excellent job running the resort.
And if it were a naked economic move, they wouldn't be covering the pay differential of laid off folks and waiving rent of onsite workers, and more. lets see what the BIG corporates do for their employees.

AND THAT'S WHY WE LOVE JAYPEAK

thetrailboss

Staff member
Look, Jay and Burke are poor barometers of what the ski industry will do. Sure, they are big and with Jay, get and still have a ton of snow. What everyone is forgetting is that they are both in Federal Receivership. The Receivers number 1 goal is preserve capital and sale price of the resorts. If they saw bookings fall off a cliff, and non pass ticket sales go with it, the receiver would really have no choice but to make this call. As to your loyal base, of course you blame it as much as possible in public on Covid-19. But I would bet this is a sale price economic move more than anything else, and why we can't infer anything on the rest of the industry from these 2 resort's moves.

Sent from my SM-T830 using AlpineZone mobile app

You sure about that? Alterra and Vail Resorts announced almost immediate closures tonight. At least Burke and Jay skiers got word last night and skied today before closure.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

thetrailboss

Staff member
Respectfully, it doesn't appear that way with Vail and Alterra following Jay's lead today.
While Michael Goldberg is the receiver, Steve W is making these calls. jay was fully booked out through March with Canadian holiday guests. Now they are offering full refunds or rescheduling into 2021, Steve's playing the long game and doing an excellent job running the resort.
And if it were a naked economic move, they wouldn't be covering the pay differential of laid off folks and waiving rent of onsite workers, and more. lets see what the BIG corporates do for their employees.

AND THAT'S WHY WE LOVE JAYPEAK

FWIW Ontario and Quebec officials all but closing the border was a HUGE issue. Jay said so themselves.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Tremblant seems to be confident that they can stay open even with the virus being very present. They are limiting capacity on the télécabine to 4 per cabin. Seems like a good preventative measure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Newsflash: they’re closed

Slidebrook87

Newsflash: they’re closed

Yeah. Too bad. To be fair they seemed very confident. I think all the resorts independently were confident but Alterra just pulled the trigger on closing all of them.

crazy

Completely ridiculous. As many have mentioned it’s no more dangerous than the flu. Probably an excuse due to lack of snow. I would understand them closing the tram, but not the whole damn resort.

I already knew that you were an idiot from your posts begging Sugarbush to open Slidebrook. This confirms it. You're some combination of ignorant, dumb, or just a troll. Get off of this forum. Sorry for being nasty, but this post deserves it on top of everything else that this asshole has posted here.

It's one thing to just be an idiot, it's another thing to post factually bullshit like "it’s no more dangerous than the flu".

GTFO.

Last edited:

KustyTheKlown

Yep. I fully support this idiot being banned. Post after ridiculous post. The hubris on this little boy is absurd. His parents should spank him.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Haha

All good. It's been a fast moving game of dominoes. At this point I expect the feds to shut down all restaurants and non-essential retail fairly soon. All about flattening the curve at this point

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

thetrailboss

Staff member
In the short hindsight, this WAS the right decision. The silver lining being that at least folks got ONE more day to ski. Vail, Alterra, and all Colorado resorts shut down with almost no notice.

For Burke passholders, they are offering a $100 gift card to make up for this early closing. Other "product" holders get $50 credit.

Be safe and stay home and watch Warren Miller movies.