• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jay Peak closed for season as of Saturday 4pm

dblskifanatic

Damn my wife told me about it and thought I would be first!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Slidebrook87

Completely ridiculous. As many have mentioned it’s no more dangerous than the flu. Probably an excuse due to lack of snow. I would understand them closing the tram, but not the whole damn resort.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BenedictGomez

it’s no more dangerous than the flu.

It actually is more dangerous than the flu if you're > 50.

It's way more dangerous than the flu if you're > 60.

It's massively more dangerous than the flu if you're > 80.

It's about as dangerous as the flu if you're 30 to 49.

It's only less dangerous than the flu if you're < 30 (but that doesn't mean you cant infect & kill grandma).

KustyTheKlown

^+1

and there is no lack of snow up at jay. there's been a lack of new snow and they've surely lost some during this warm and wet period, but the snowpack at jay is healthier than anywhere except maybe stowe. go north of sugarbush sometime, its a whole other world in noVT often. they also got a ~3 foot storm 2 weeks ago that dropped barely 8 inches south of 89.

if this was motivated by anything other than public health concerns, it was motivated by the economics of it becoming much more difficult for their canadian patrons to visit. montreal is their closest major market.

Last edited:

urungus

there is no lack of snow up at jay. there's been a lack of new snow and they've surely lost some during this warm and wet period, but the snowpack at jay is healthier than anywhere except maybe stowe. go north of sugarbush sometime, its a whole other world in noVT often. they also got a ~3 foot storm 2 weeks ago that dropped barely 8 inches south of 89.

Jay trail report shows only 25 of 81 trails open, only 1 black diamond run open (Liftline), no advanced glades open.

KustyTheKlown

Jay trail report shows only 25 of 81 trails open

that is because of warm wet weather and snow preservation during rain and a freeze, and reduced lift operations during the same. look at the webcam. do you honestly think there is no snow on the ground at jay peak in mid march? dont be a dingus.

JayPeakResort_2020-03-13_7-04pm.jpg

the words "black diamond run" and "advanced glade" made me lol. and think of gnar, the scene where they are interviewing the contestants about why they should compete, and one of them is like "i can ski double black diamonds".

Last edited:

deadheadskier

Staff member
It's probably a 75% revenue decision for any of these places and 25% concern about the virus.

I mentioned this in another thread, but Boston hotels that traditionally have a 75% occupancy in March are now at 5%. Hardly anyone is going to be traveling for the foreseeable future. Even without a government mandate, if this weekend isn't the last weekend for ski areas, next weekend probably will be for nearly everywhere.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

Slidebrook87

It's probably a 75% revenue decision for any of these places and 25% concern about the virus.

I mentioned this in another thread, but Boston hotels that traditionally have a 75% occupancy in March are now at 5%. Hardly anyone is going to be traveling for the foreseeable future. Even without a government mandate, if this weekend isn't the last weekend for ski areas, next weekend probably will be for nearly everywhere.

Very valid point

fbrissette

First of all, I'm at Jay peak right now and there's plenty of snow. Enough to go backcountry skiing. Windy as hell, all upper lifts closed which explains the low trail count. Problem right now for Canadians is that if you cross the border and come back to Canada, you're are supposed to declare it to your employer and self quarantine yourself for 14 days. Government employees and particularly in health care are Not allowed to leave. This essentially means that few Canadians will cross the border even though coming to Jay peak is likely less risky than staying in montreal. If you are willing to earn your turns, the next storm will be epic.

Edd

This does not give me a good feeling about skiing in Quebec late March. God damn.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

tumbler

Completely ridiculous. As many have mentioned it’s no more dangerous than the flu. Probably an excuse due to lack of snow. I would understand them closing the tram, but not the whole damn resort.

Dude. Stop commenting on everything like you are the authority. Instead listen.

Slidebrook87

Just out of curiosity, what resort do you think will close next? I’m thinking it will be one of the Catskill mountains due to their proximity to NYC.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Just out of curiosity, what resort do you think will close next? I’m thinking it will be one of the Catskill mountains due to their proximity to NYC.

All of them by next weekend would be my prediction. The economy is literally grinding to a halt in front of our eyes. Society is in a total snowball shut down mode right now. It's likely totally unnecessary if this pandemic follows the path of previous super bugs. But nobody wants to take the risk and gamble that this is not "the big one" and get called out for not taking enough precaution.

And honestly, a place like Hunter probably stands the best chance in the East of doing any meaningful business this weekend. Easy quick last hurrah for the largest market.