Vail suspending all ski operations immediately - Page 10

AlpineZone

Page 10 of 47 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
    i agree that the restaurants need to close. at least in denser cities. nyc just closed the schools - good. now they need to close the bars, and make restaurants delivery/take out only. people should not be in close proximity and any proximity outside of your household needs to be for necessity only.

Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    The cognitive dissonance of this issue is bizarre to me.

It is illogical to demand a place with low likelihood for COVID19 transference (outdoor ski area) should be shut down, while not demanding a place with much higher likelihood for COVID19 transference (malls, restaurants, shops, etc.) be shut down. Starbucks is far riskier than Stowe. Dominoes is far riskier than Deer Valley. And I mean huge magnitudes of order here in terms of viral risk. Yet I see all these virtue-signalling people "demanding" all ski areas close on my FB pages. Scientifically, it makes absolutely no sense to me.

EDIT: Put a shorter way, if we're really going to be serious & intellectually consistant here, every restaurant in America needs to close.
    I think it's the typical greedy evil corporation trying to make money above all else thing that some people believe that started the shaming of ski areas into closing. I agree theres absolutely no consistency in demanding one thing close while not seeming to have an issue with far more potentially dangerous places staying open

Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    The cognitive dissonance of this issue is bizarre to me.

It is illogical to demand a place with low likelihood for COVID19 transference (outdoor ski area) should be shut down, while not demanding a place with much higher likelihood for COVID19 transference (malls, restaurants, shops, etc.) be shut down. Starbucks is far riskier than Stowe. Dominoes is far riskier than Deer Valley. And I mean huge magnitudes of order here in terms of viral risk. Yet I see all these virtue-signalling people "demanding" all ski areas close on my FB pages. Scientifically, it makes absolutely no sense to me.

EDIT: Put a shorter way, if we're really going to be serious & intellectually consistant here, every restaurant in America needs to close.
    I read that Illinois has closed all of theirs. South Boston has and there's been major restrictions on restaurant operations put in place for the rest of the city.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

cities and suburbs need to do their part and shut it all down and only allow absolutely necessary business and interaction

ski areas need to and mostly have done their part in shutting down the temptation for asymptomatic carriers from cities and suburbs to bring the virus to rural areas

Quote Originally Posted by KustyTheKlown View Post
    cities and suburbs need to do their part and shut it all down and only allow absolutely necessary business and interaction

ski areas need to and mostly have done their part in shutting down the temptation for asymptomatic carriers from cities and suburbs to bring the virus to rural areas
    I'm really surprised public transportation hasnt been shut down yet

Quote Originally Posted by snoseek View Post
    Mountain bike season is here. Hike. Fish. Fix stuff. Run. Rock climb. Life doesn't need to stop. You just have to choose activities carefully .
    Exactly. There are plenty of other outdoor activities you can do. I will be breaking out my skins.
    skiing is not just an activity, it is a lifestyle!

Quote Originally Posted by icecoast1 View Post
    its a drastic step in nyc. its a really difficult issue. so many people dont have access to private transit here and would effectively be stranded. it would create a nightmare for some people to get their food, medicines, and other absolute necessities.

my company made the sensible decision over this weekend to let us all work from home for the foreseeable future with an explicit message that deciding to do so will not prejudice anyones career. they are paying for any IT needs including home internet for all employees thru, for now, the end of june. i need to email our IT team to get a docking station and large monitor for home use. simultaneously, they are also keeping our office open for people unable to work from home for whatever reason and ordering delivery lunch on the company's dime every single day so people can avoid unnecessary interactions. i feel very fortunate. the option to work from home would have been enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Exactly. There are plenty of other outdoor activities you can do. I will be breaking out my skins.
    From what I've seen, the mountains don't want people on the hill at all

Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post
    I read that Illinois has closed all of theirs.
    Holy crap! Now that's going nuclear. If we're going to take this seriously, at least that's intellectually consistent with reality.

Quote Originally Posted by icecoast1 View Post
    Even WORSE than eating in restaurants is riding on a rush hour subway. Wanna' really get serious? Leave public transit open, but only for medically essential personnel, EMS, police, fire, and first responders, etc... To the sort of person who's a large US city mayor, public transportation is more important to them ideologically than the air they breathe, so I doubt you'll see this one.
    Last edited by BenedictGomez; Mar 15, 2020 at 4:29 PM.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Quote Originally Posted by KustyTheKlown View Post
    its a drastic step in nyc. its a really difficult issue. so many people dont have access to private transit here and would effectively be stranded. it would create a nightmare for some people to get their food, medicines, and other absolute necessities.

Purely from a perspective of keeping sick people away from each other, you'd think you want to do it. Also if you're told no unnecessary travel but still keep it open, many people will abuse it, look at the selfish shopping habits on full display right now. I can't pretend to know how it would effect day to day life in a large city though, because I dont live in one and never have

Thread Information