• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Vail suspending all ski operations immediately

icecoast1

Hard to talk about skiing when nobody is doing it and what's going on in the country. Probably should just turn off the news, internet and phone if you dont like what you're seeing

JimG.

Staff member
I think I see where this is going.

It's sad how some are so determined to prove their point of view and yet refuse to see we are in this together whether we like it or not.

Jcb890

Well you're certainly not going to "convince" me of a partisan political fraud which has already been copiously debunked.
Are you honestly on here trying to defend Trump and this administration's actions? Or are you just arguing about semantics over whether or not he called the whole thing a Democratic hoax?

KustyTheKlown

trump just ripped a reporter a new asshole for asking what the message should be to people who are scared. he's such a douche.

skiur

trump just ripped a reporter a new asshole for asking what the message should be to people who are scared. he's such a douche.

I think even his strongest supporters know he is a douche....I grew up in NY and the guy was always a douche.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Meanwhile, back on topic.....

Vail has ordered its employees in company housing to leave immediately. Seems pretty clear that ski season is over for them.

Tonyr

Meanwhile, back on topic.....

Vail has ordered its employees in company housing to leave immediately. Seems pretty clear that ski season is over for them.

I'm hearing that Killington isn't going to reopen in May either. Looks like they are done for the year too.

p_levert

Edd

Austrian ski town is another nexus of contamination:

https://www.politico.eu/article/the-austrian-ski-town-that-spread-coronavirus-across-the-continent/

When I was in CO, I skied at Eldora, A-Basin and WP (I have an Ikon pass). If I had skied at Keystone, Breck and Vail, I think I would have had a higher chance of getting CV-19. Why? The proportion of out-of-state skiers is higher at the Vail resorts than the Ikon resorts, AFAIK.

I’m actually aware of a New Hampshire resident that tested positive following a ski trip to Austria.

Is your Ikon vs Vail claim simply anecdotal?

EPB

I’m actually aware of a New Hampshire resident that tested positive following a ski trip to Austria.

Is your Ikon vs Vail claim simply anecdotal?
I saw a Bloomberg article on a bunch of wealthy Mexicans getting it at Vail this morning. It should come up with a quick Google search.

Sent from my VS988 using AlpineZone mobile app

Edd

I saw a Bloomberg article on a bunch of wealthy Mexicans getting it at Vail this morning. It should come up with a quick Google search.

I saw that article also. Just curious as it seems plenty of Ikon areas are destination resorts. Shit, I was at Steamboat in January and Italy in September but I haven’t been sick in I don’t know how long.

EPB

I saw that article also. Just curious as it seems plenty of Ikon areas are destination resorts. Shit, I was at Steamboat in January and Italy in September but I haven’t been sick in I don’t know how long.
I'm sure they are. I certainly don't have stats on where people come from when they visit resorts.

Anecdotally, I've noticed two trends:

-Vail is the only place where I've seen a significant % of Hispanic clientele.
-Whistler and Banff/Louise have a ton of visitors from the land down under.

icecoast1

Austrian ski town is another nexus of contamination:

https://www.politico.eu/article/the-austrian-ski-town-that-spread-coronavirus-across-the-continent/

When I was in CO, I skied at Eldora, A-Basin and WP (I have an Ikon pass). If I had skied at Keystone, Breck and Vail, I think I would have had a higher chance of getting CV-19. Why? The proportion of out-of-state skiers is higher at the Vail resorts than the Ikon resorts, AFAIK.

Unless you drove and slept in your own car,, brought your own prepackaged food and wore and N95 mask the whole time while following stringent hygiene practices, odds are you were potentially exposed to it even if you didnt go to a Vail mountain, especially if you traveled on a plane or used public transportation

p_levert

Unless you drove and slept in your own car,, brought your own prepackaged food and wore and N95 mask the whole time while following stringent hygiene practices, odds are you were potentially exposed to it even if you didnt go to a Vail mountain, especially if you traveled on a plane or used public transportation

I went to the Ikon resorts because I own an Ikon pass, not because I was trying to avoid CV-19. OTOH, upon reflection, it does seem to me that Vail resorts have a higher % of out-of-state skiers, thus the risk would be proportionately higher, as these people fly in. I don't have hard data, but this is my personal observation. There's a ton of out-of-state people at Steamboat, an Ikon resort, so it would seem that this would be a good place to get CV-19 as well. Just saying, not sure what your angle on this is.

machski

Vail has mentioned in their filings of expected losses that they will be reconsidering all the announced lift installs for next season. Can't imagine they are the only ones. To me, the only lift installs likely to be unaffected financially anyway might be the HSQ and T-Bar and Saddleback. But who knows if Arctaris cut the check already or if they may be in less of a position to make the investments. Given they opened pass sales, I'll lean that they will be ok.

Sent from my SM-T830 using AlpineZone mobile app

crystalmountainskier

Vail has mentioned in their filings of expected losses that they will be reconsidering all the announced lift installs for next season. Can't imagine they are the only ones. To me, the only lift installs likely to be unaffected financially anyway might be the HSQ and T-Bar and Saddleback. But who knows if Arctaris cut the check already or if they may be in less of a position to make the investments. Given they opened pass sales, I'll lean that they will be ok.

Sent from my SM-T830 using AlpineZone mobile app

Saddleback is only doing the high speed quad. No new T-Bar this year.