• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Vail suspending all ski operations immediately

ScottySkis

The town of Hunter pleaded with their mountain to close on Thursday, and continued to press them for action. They were concerned about the health of their community. I also have heard from multiple employees at various resorts that did not want to go to work, or were refusing. This isn't about you or me, this is about the communities around these ski areas.

JimG.

Staff member
I kind of think he's right though.

His issue is with ski area management and there is no need for him to call people fools for being more understanding of the reality here.

So whether he is right or wrong is irrelevant; there is no need to be rude here.

It sucks for everyone else who skis too.

BenedictGomez

Trust when I say Edd indeed does work for a major international pharma company (not in AR) and does occasionally, in fact care about other people enough to ponder that the drugs he helps make could help them.

As it should be, as do most people who've worked their lives in pharma. The bad actors who do terrible things get all the press & all the attention (often for political reasons), but the reality is most people in pharma are good people who are proud of what they create.

BenedictGomez

His issue is with ski area management and there is no need for him to call people fools for being more understanding of the reality here.

So whether he is right or wrong is irrelevant; there is no need to be rude
here.

Yeah, I didnt mean that bit, I just meant on the substance of the argument.

KustyTheKlown

And the reality is there is no safe way to do this. I went to stratton today for last licks. It was surprisingly crowded, and that plus loading lifts at half capacity resulted in big lift lines = dense crowd of people. It’s exactly what we are not supposed to be doing. I drove thru the night, skied for under 3 hours, and decided it wasn’t fun and that I and everyone else there were behaving selfishly and irresponsibly, and I called it a day (a season) and went home. It sucks, but there are more important things than getting the value out of your fucking quad pack.

I ate my magic quad pack. Didn’t use it once. If magic/Geoff want to extend me a courtesy that would be great and I’d be very appreciative. But I’m not preemptively calling them out and personally insulting Geoff the way orca did to win. Win has been a valued member of this forum and the American ski community. Have some respect you selfish prick.

JimG.

Staff member
And the reality is there is no safe way to do this. I went to stratton today for last licks. It was surprisingly crowded, and that plus loading lifts at half capacity resulted in big lift lines = dense crowd of people. It’s exactly what we are not supposed to be doing. I drove thru the night, skied for under 3 hours, and decided it wasn’t fun and that I and everyone else there were behaving selfishly and irresponsibly, and I called it a day (a season) and went home. It sucks, but there are more important things than getting the value out of your fucking quad pack.

Yeah I'm sitting here losing interest in even going to Belleayre tomorrow. As much as I'd like to ski the season is pretty much over and I'd just as well avoid that last day that turned out to pretty much suck. And this season has done a lot of sucking so maybe I won't mind missing the last day.

deadheadskier

Staff member

I ate my magic quad pack. Didn’t use it once. If magic/Geoff want to extend me a courtesy that would be great and I’d be very appreciative. But I’m not preemptively calling them out and personally insulting Geoff the way orca did to win. Win has been a valued member of this forum and the American ski community. Have some respect you selfish prick.
Last summer it rained the last three days of the local university pool season and it closed early. Had six visits left on our 25 visit ticket. I'm in litigation with the University currently to have those visits be valid next season.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

icecoast1

Sadly I didnt get any use out of my Magic pass either. The weather sucked. Now the virus. I'm just chalking it up as a loss and a donation to support an independent ski area

Zand

Powdr a bit late to the party but Killington, Copper, Snowbird, etc are shut down immediately and will re-access next week.

Looks like Vermont is down to MRG (through tomorrow), Magic, and Smuggs (haven't seen any indication from them of closing). NH has a few more options... Loon, Cannon, Bretton Woods, Waterville, Cranmore, and Gunstock (and maybe more that I didn't check) are all open with no closing date indicated. Sugarloaf and Sunday River also with no indication.

Weird that the indies seem intent on marching through this (until the gov't tells them to shut it down) and the corporates are all done.

Last edited:

jg17

Boyne is the last corporate group open, but I don't see it lasting. Summit at Snoqualmie is passholders and existing ticketholders only starting tomorrow, no new online or walkup ticket sales.

Edit - Brighton closed Sunday to match other Cottonwood resorts, Boyne MI mounts will finish seasons on Sunday. At the moment, other Boyne resorts to stay open

Last edited:

icecoast1

Powdr a bit late to the party but Killington, Copper, Snowbird, etc are shut down immediately and will re-access next week.

Looks like Vermont is down to MRG (through tomorrow), Magic, and Smuggs (haven't seen any indication from them of closing). NH has a few more options... Loon, Cannon, Bretton Woods, Waterville, Cranmore, and Gunstock (and maybe more that I didn't check) are all open with no closing date indicated. Sugarloaf and Sunday River also with no indication.

Weird that the indies seem intent on marching through this (until the gov't tells them to shut it down) and the corporates are all done.

Magic is done tomorrow.

Tonyr

The town of Hunter pleaded with their mountain to close on Thursday, and continued to press them for action. They were concerned about the health of their community. I also have heard from multiple employees at various resorts that did not want to go to work, or were refusing. This isn't about you or me, this is about the communities around these ski areas.

We came up to Hunter this weekend and got one day in before Vail shut things down. The local businesses up here are hurting. The hotel, restaurant, and shops in Tannersville we visited are empty. Im not so sure that everyone up in the area was in agreement to shut things down at least from what we saw outside of the resort. Already compounding the situation, Hunter mountain has had 55 inches of snow this year which is one of their worst on record.

Edd

I also work for a, "pharmaceutical manufacturer", and if we closed for a very long time there would be real-world problems for real-world patients.

“Problems for real world patients” is exactly the rationale we were given. The drugs are all for serious conditions. But business be business’n.