• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Vail suspending all ski operations immediately

JimG.

Staff member
Yeah I'm sitting here losing interest in even going to Belleayre tomorrow. As much as I'd like to ski the season is pretty much over and I'd just as well avoid that last day that turned out to pretty much suck. And this season has done a lot of sucking so maybe I won't mind missing the last day.

I did not ski today; didn't want to behave selfishly and irresponsibly. It's not that important. I didn't miss anything.

Having fun tuning up my fishing rods and cleaning out my tackle boxes.

JimG.

Staff member
You do if your hobbies involve going most places other than your own property to do them

I own 5 acres with a trout stream running through the middle. I might fish my private beat this season more then I have in the 17 years we have been here combined.

Kind of boring but my stretch of water is straight and pretty wide so it's ideal for practicing my fledgling fly fishing skills.

Pretty sure I'll be able to access NYC reservoirs with our rowboats too.

icecoast1

I own 5 acres with a trout stream running through the middle. I might fish my private beat this season more then I have in the 17 years we have been here combined.

Kind of boring but my stretch of water is straight and pretty wide so it's ideal for practicing my fledgling fly fishing skills.

I might have to try the fishing thing. Never really got much into it but now may be the time...

JimG.

Staff member
I might have to try the fishing thing. Never really got much into it but now may be the time...

Fishing is an excellent way to develop patience. I've learned over the years that patience is a hard earned skill but well worth having.

I stick to wading in rivers or rowboats on lakes and reservoirs to include some physical activity for the win/win.

snoseek

I'm leaving my house tomorrow, driving to a trailhead for about 15 minutes and then pedaling in the woods where I'll likely not see anyone. If I do I'll keep some space. I think it's ok to leave the house as long as you do it smartly.

JimG.

Staff member
I'm leaving my house tomorrow, driving to a trailhead for about 15 minutes and then pedaling in the woods where I'll likely not see anyone. If I do I'll keep some space. I think it's ok to leave the house as long as you do it smartly.

Yes I'm avoiding all group activities for the next month. Part of preventing the spread is not getting sick and spreading it yourself.

When I fish my main goal in terms of movement is to stay as far away from other people who are fishing as possible.

snoseek

Yes I'm avoiding all group activities for the next month. Part of preventing the spread is not getting sick and spreading it yourself.

When I fish my main goal in terms of movement is to stay as far away from other people who are fishing as possible.

Yep...with that mindset it's not so bad.

BenedictGomez

The cognitive dissonance of this issue is bizarre to me.

It is illogical to demand a place with low likelihood for COVID19 transference (outdoor ski area) should be shut down, while not demanding a place with much higher likelihood for COVID19 transference (malls, restaurants, shops, etc.) be shut down. Starbucks is far riskier than Stowe. Dominoes is far riskier than Deer Valley. And I mean huge magnitudes of order here in terms of viral risk. Yet I see all these virtue-signalling people "demanding" all ski areas close on my FB pages. Scientifically, it makes absolutely no sense to me.

EDIT: Put a shorter way, if we're really going to be serious & intellectually consistant here, every restaurant in America needs to close.

BenedictGomez

And just for an addendum to my last post, Snowbird is actually leaving its' restaurants OPEN, while closing ski ops. This makes absolutely no flippin' sense from a viral risk-management perspective & seems to suggest Snowbird was "shamed" into shutting ski ops down.

KustyTheKlown

i agree that the restaurants need to close. at least in denser cities. nyc just closed the schools - good. now they need to close the bars, and make restaurants delivery/take out only. people should not be in close proximity and any proximity outside of your household needs to be for necessity only.

icecoast1

It is illogical to demand a place with low likelihood for COVID19 transference (outdoor ski area) should be shut down, while not demanding a place with much higher likelihood for COVID19 transference (malls, restaurants, shops, etc.) be shut down. Starbucks is far riskier than Stowe. Dominoes is far riskier than Deer Valley. And I mean huge magnitudes of order here in terms of viral risk. Yet I see all these virtue-signalling people "demanding" all ski areas close on my FB pages. Scientifically, it makes absolutely no sense to me.

EDIT: Put a shorter way, if we're really going to be serious & intellectually consistant here, every restaurant in America needs to close.

I think it's the typical greedy evil corporation trying to make money above all else thing that some people believe that started the shaming of ski areas into closing. I agree theres absolutely no consistency in demanding one thing close while not seeming to have an issue with far more potentially dangerous places staying open

deadheadskier

Staff member

I read that Illinois has closed all of theirs. South Boston has and there's been major restrictions on restaurant operations put in place for the rest of the city.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

KustyTheKlown

cities and suburbs need to do their part and shut it all down and only allow absolutely necessary business and interaction

ski areas need to and mostly have done their part in shutting down the temptation for asymptomatic carriers from cities and suburbs to bring the virus to rural areas

icecoast1

cities and suburbs need to do their part and shut it all down and only allow absolutely necessary business and interaction

ski areas need to and mostly have done their part in shutting down the temptation for asymptomatic carriers from cities and suburbs to bring the virus to rural areas

I'm really surprised public transportation hasnt been shut down yet

Terry

Mountain bike season is here. Hike. Fish. Fix stuff. Run. Rock climb. Life doesn't need to stop. You just have to choose activities carefully .
Exactly. There are plenty of other outdoor activities you can do. I will be breaking out my skins.

KustyTheKlown

its a drastic step in nyc. its a really difficult issue. so many people dont have access to private transit here and would effectively be stranded. it would create a nightmare for some people to get their food, medicines, and other absolute necessities.

my company made the sensible decision over this weekend to let us all work from home for the foreseeable future with an explicit message that deciding to do so will not prejudice anyones career. they are paying for any IT needs including home internet for all employees thru, for now, the end of june. i need to email our IT team to get a docking station and large monitor for home use. simultaneously, they are also keeping our office open for people unable to work from home for whatever reason and ordering delivery lunch on the company's dime every single day so people can avoid unnecessary interactions. i feel very fortunate. the option to work from home would have been enough.

BenedictGomez

I read that Illinois has closed all of theirs.

Holy crap! Now that's going nuclear. If we're going to take this seriously, at least that's intellectually consistent with reality.

Even WORSE than eating in restaurants is riding on a rush hour subway. Wanna' really get serious? Leave public transit open, but only for medically essential personnel, EMS, police, fire, and first responders, etc... To the sort of person who's a large US city mayor, public transportation is more important to them ideologically than the air they breathe, so I doubt you'll see this one.

Last edited:

icecoast1

its a drastic step in nyc. its a really difficult issue. so many people dont have access to private transit here and would effectively be stranded. it would create a nightmare for some people to get their food, medicines, and other absolute necessities.

Purely from a perspective of keeping sick people away from each other, you'd think you want to do it. Also if you're told no unnecessary travel but still keep it open, many people will abuse it, look at the selfish shopping habits on full display right now. I can't pretend to know how it would effect day to day life in a large city though, because I dont live in one and never have