• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Vail suspending all ski operations immediately

KustyTheKlown

i think keeping hte trains open but restricting it to offical and narrowly permitted business is appropriate. italy has issued some sort of hall pass form system for people leaving the house. we need to do that in nyc. its a horrific thought to limit people's motion but we need to stop the spread of this thing. its serious shit. not loving being a city dweller right now.

KustyTheKlown

i dont even know if its this thread or another one because we have the same conversation(s) going on in multiple places, but see my recent post re: the presumptive safety of cooked food. that being said, we are locked and loaded for a few weeks of home cooking at my place.

drjeff

Exactly. There are plenty of other outdoor activities you can do. I will be breaking out my skins.
Gotta be careful with that though. If one lives in a mountain community, then great, you're staying local to skin. If one is driving from one geographic area to another to skin, then that person traveling is potentially bringing the virus into an area where it may not yet be, and that's not a good thing.

Trying to keep this virus geographically isolated is going to be key to reducing it's effects and the number of people exposed to the virus

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app

snoseek

Mass just banned on site consumption at all restaurants and bars. Take out only

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

Yep....I work right across the line and while it's awful it should have happened sooner imo. I've got a lot of very nervous coworkers. I'm hoping they get essentials taken care of or they're on the street.

Countrywide if this extends beyond a month, which seems like a very strong possibility, a while lot of places wont Make it. Margins are razor thin especially for indy operated establishments. This all fucking sucks!

BenedictGomez

Mass just banned on site consumption at all restaurants and bars. Take out only

Dumb. If you're going to go 9 yards, go 10 yards & completely shut them down.

I'm more worried the chef, line-cook, or food packager has coronavirus than the person I can I.D. sitting in the booth next to me. One infected food packager or cook could theoretically infect scores of patrons getting take-out.

KustyTheKlown

for like the 10th time, cooked food is presumptively safe. not everyone has the capacity to cook for themselves. people need to eat. you dont have to patronize open restaurants, but many people need to. limiting gathering but making cooked food available to people is the right balance.

BenedictGomez

for like the 10th time, cooked food is presumptively safe.

Is that from the Restaurant Association of America?

When the minimum wage food jockey adjusts your hamburger bun with bare hands, that's not safe.

When your "cooked food" is handled by bare hands (after cooking) by the guy who just wiped his nose, that's not safe. It's the AFTER cooking that's the problem.

Neither potentially are the disposable food containers, plastic utensils, or paper bags, etc.

KustyTheKlown

not ideal, but the MA decision is the most reasonable given the competing interests at play, and i hope ny does the same. not everyone is able to cook for themselves, people need to eat, and it gives the restaurants the opportunity to try and stay afloat.

snoseek

When the minimum wage food jockey adjusts your hamburger bun with bare hands, that's not safe.

When your "cooked food" is handled by bare hands (after cooking) by the guy who just wiped his nose, that's not safe. It's the AFTER cooking that's the problem.

Neither potentially are the disposable food containers, plastic utensils, or paper bags, etc.

I want to yell at you right now and mention that for the most part I've seen pretty safe practices over the past 15 or so years since things have tightened up and we aren't nearly as retarded as you make us out to be, you're right in this situation.

icecoast1

Dont forget the people that wear gloves, but then handle money and keep the same glove on and handle your food. Yeah I think I'll cook for myself for a while. Eliminate the risk

medfordmike

Purely from a perspective of keeping sick people away from each other, you'd think you want to do it. Also if you're told no unnecessary travel but still keep it open, many people will abuse it, look at the selfish shopping habits on full display right now. I can't pretend to know how it would effect day to day life in a large city though, because I dont live in one and never have

I work for an academic medical center in Boston. A huge number of our employees get to work by the T. Not the surgeons or the doctors but many nurses, cleaning staff, etc. who make the place run. I am avoiding the T but so many simply can't.

catskillman

The town of Hunter pleaded with their mountain to close on Thursday, and continued to press them for action. They were concerned about the health of their community. I also have heard from multiple employees at various resorts that did not want to go to work, or were refusing. This isn't about you or me, this is about the communities around these ski areas.

The word on the street is - the one infected person was from Brooklyn and stayed at a local upscale hotel, not the mountain hotel.

the local doctor pushed for closure. The town distributed signs to ALL local businesses. It was actually quite impressive the action that was taken quickly by Vail, not the town to spread out and remove tables, restrict food, and limit the # of people on the chair ( 6 pack took only 3).

In driving through town today there were several businesses open, and most restaurants in Tannersville. Why did the TOWN not push for them to close?

kbroderick

The cognitive dissonance of this issue is bizarre to me.

It is illogical to demand a place with low likelihood for COVID19 transference (outdoor ski area) should be shut down, while not demanding a place with much higher likelihood for COVID19 transference (malls, restaurants, shops, etc.) be shut down. Starbucks is far riskier than Stowe. Dominoes is far riskier than Deer Valley. And I mean huge magnitudes of order here in terms of viral risk. Yet I see all these virtue-signalling people "demanding" all ski areas close on my FB pages. Scientifically, it makes absolutely no sense to me.

EDIT: Put a shorter way, if we're really going to be serious & intellectually consistant here, every restaurant in America needs to close.

The problem isn't the skiing itself. It's lift lines (with people ignoring instructions to maintain 2m spacing), plus the geographic transfer that occurs because the ski area attracts people from out of area, and instead of having a relatively isolated community of 2,500 people using the local grocery store, you've got 10k or more visitors from all over.

And yes, I do think dining out right now is dumb. My wife's birthday is this week, and last week she brought up the idea of going out for pizza; at the time, I felt a little paranoid saying that we should plan to about restaurants for a while. I'd be shocked if the Boston outbreak didn't touch our local resort this weekend, and if it did, I'd expect the spread via restaurants and bars to be substantial.

I do believe that restaurants should be seriously pondering a switch to take out only, because the opportunity for spread in a table service environment is huge. If you get all the food safety stuff right, you can mostly mitigate that, but I'm not willing to bet that most restaurants are that good without knowing someone who works for them and can vouch for kitchen conditions.

It's kinda like having a deer carcass on the side of the road--the biggest issue isn't the rotting carcass itself; it's the animals that come to feed on it and become traffic hazards.

ScottySkis

The word on the street is - the one infected person was from Brooklyn and stayed at a local upscale hotel, not the mountain hotel.

the local doctor pushed for closure. The town distributed signs to ALL local businesses. It was actually quite impressive the action that was taken quickly by Vail, not the town to spread out and remove tables, restrict food, and limit the # of people on the chair ( 6 pack took only 3).

In driving through town today there were several businesses open, and most restaurants in Tannersville. Why did the TOWN not push for them to close?

I didn't know about the effected person
That makes me mad town wants$ in small fraction what going on in crazy sad world now.

catskillman

I didn't know about the effected person
That makes me mad town wants$ in small fraction what going on in crazy sad world now.

Windham was open yesterday, Sunday. The rumor several days ago was that they had a patroller that tested positive.