• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Vail suspending all ski operations immediately

catskillman

Just glad I stayed away from all ski areas in last week since it becomes obvious that this was happening.

Not my review for Hunter on Saturday - but once again I can vouch for the accuracy - ABSURD ----

It was a very interesting day starting with the ominous warning sign on the entry door.
Well things only got more strange heading to the six pack and tried to figure out the new coronavirus friendly lift line. Of course a line dead ended, but that was only the beginning. The stantion is back and the little line obstruction is gone. In it's place is a 3 person load to create 'seperation'. Except everyone is standing next to each other in the line.

But, it gets better. At the Florida lift it appeared no one got the email. It was fill the chair as usual. That was the same policy being followed at the Zebra lift. But, the Northern express closed the 2 outside lanes forcing the remaining four together. They definitely didn't get the email. Maybe a staff meeting would be a better approach where everyone is actually doing the same thing!

ScottySkis

Not my review for Hunter on Saturday - but once again I can vouch for the accuracy - ABSURD ----

It was a very interesting day starting with the ominous warning sign on the entry door.
Well things only got more strange heading to the six pack and tried to figure out the new coronavirus friendly lift line. Of course a line dead ended, but that was only the beginning. The stantion is back and the little line obstruction is gone. In it's place is a 3 person load to create 'seperation'. Except everyone is standing next to each other in the line.

But, it gets better. At the Florida lift it appeared no one got the email. It was fill the chair as usual. That was the same policy being followed at the Zebra lift. But, the Northern express closed the 2 outside lanes forcing the remaining four together. They definitely didn't get the email. Maybe a staff meeting would be a better approach where everyone is actually doing the same thing!

Yes it's terrible to see just about$$$ to compine s. and not health
Glad I made decion to not ski when I saw the madness on facecrap for people that where determined to ski last weekend unknowingly or caring about what risks that they take and it good thing ski area close d or would be undertaking how worse could had been.

Tonyr

I spoke with an employee at a Vail resort today and she said that they've been told that the season is over. I know that they announced a re-evaluation at the end of this week but it looks like the decision to not re-open their resorts this year has already been made. (Assuming the info I got is correct)

Last edited:

BenedictGomez

I spoke with an employee at a Vail resort today and she said that they've been told that the season is over. I know that they announced a re-evaluation at the end of this week but it looks like the decision to not re-open their resorts this year has already been made. (Assuming the info I got is correct)

It's correct. Whether the employee has inside information or not, it's correct.

Keelhauled

It's out of their hands at this point, between state restrictions on gatherings and CDC guidance. They'd have to be certifiably insane to try and open under these conditions.

icecoast1

Unless its June and theres still snow on Superstar, theres no chance anybody reopens

drjeff

It's out of their hands at this point, between state restrictions on gatherings and CDC guidance. They'd have to be certifiably insane to try and open under these conditions.
Yup, and you're likely going to see places like Disney and Universal and the Six Flags parks closed for a majority, if not all of those 8 weeks now

The NBA and NHL are done for the year. MLB at best starts up around Memorial Day. Concerts, festivals, etc, etc, etc aren't happening..

Crazy to think that this all started from likely a sick bat contaminating some meat at an open air meat and fish market in central China about 3 months ago. Makes you also think about how "small" the world is these days and how rapidly a virus can spread and more often than not due to our own less than ideal hygiene practices....

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app

BenedictGomez

Crazy to think that this all started from likely a sick bat contaminating some meat at an open air meat and fish market in central China about 3 months ago.

Maybe.

I still cant get over the fact the only Level 4 Biosafety Laboratory in all of China (not exactly a tiny nation) just happens to be in Wuhan.

icecoast1

The NHL has made it pretty clear, that for now, they want to have some sort of season and playoffs. in 4 weeks that likely will change if the status is quo...

NHL will be more difficult to play in summer due to the ice situation. MLB is already postponed til at least late May, we wont see anything til at least then with the current CDC guidelines

skiur

https://www.snow.com/info/vail-resorts- ... ARN%20MORE

[FONT=&quot]VAIL RESORTS TO CLOSE NORTH AMERICAN RESORTS FOR THE 2019-20 SKI SEASON[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]THE COMPANY WILL CONSIDER REOPENING BRECKENRIDGE, HEAVENLY AND WHISTLER BLACKCOMB DEPENDENT ON THE SITUATION WITH COVID-19 AND WEATHER CONDITIONS[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]BROOMFIELD, Colo. — Mar. 17, 2020 — Vail Resorts announced today that all of its North American resorts and retail stores will remain closed for the 2019-20 winter ski season amidst the continued challenges associated with the spread of coronavirus (COVID-19). The decision follows the Company’s previously announced closure of its resorts from Sunday, March 15 through Sunday, March 22.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The Company will consider reopening Breckenridge Ski Resort in Colorado, Heavenly Mountain Resort in Lake Tahoe and Whistler Blackcomb in British Columbia in late April/early May, dependent on the situation with COVID-19 as well as weather conditions.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Additionally, the Company’s owned and operated lodging properties will close on Friday, March 20, with final check-ins allowed until 4 p.m. MT today. Epic Mountain Express, the Company’s Colorado transportation service, will run through tomorrow, Wednesday, March 18. Both will remain closed until further notice.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]“Our decision to end the season now is evidence of the fast-moving situation involving COVID-19, and it was not an easy one to make as we deeply considered the extended impact it will have on our guests, employees and communities,” said Rob Katz, chairman and chief executive officer of Vail Resorts. “While it is incredibly disappointing for our Company to mark the end of the season so early, we know it is the most responsible path forward.”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Guests can process refunds and credits on pre-purchased lift tickets, lodging, ski and ride school, equipment rentals and more, subject to applicable terms and conditions, using an online form that will be available later today on the Company’s resort websites.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]About Vail Resorts, Inc. (NYSE: MTN)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Vail Resorts, Inc., through its subsidiaries, is the leading global mountain resort operator. Vail Resorts’ subsidiaries operate 37 world-class mountain resorts and urban ski areas, including Vail, Beaver Creek, Breckenridge, Keystone and Crested Butte in Colorado; Park City in Utah; Heavenly, Northstar and Kirkwood in the Lake Tahoe area of California and Nevada; Whistler Blackcomb in British Columbia, Canada; Perisher, Falls Creek and Hotham in Australia; Stowe, Mount Snow, Okemo in Vermont; Hunter Mountain in New York; Mount Sunapee, Attitash, Wildcat and Crotched in New Hampshire; Stevens Pass in Washington; Liberty, Roundtop, Whitetail, Jack Frost and Big Boulder in Pennsylvania; Alpine Valley, Boston Mills, Brandywine and Mad River in Ohio; Hidden Valley and Snow Creek in Missouri; Wilmot in Wisconsin; Afton Alps in Minnesota; Mt. Brighton in Michigan; and Paoli Peaks in Indiana. Vail Resorts owns and/or manages a collection of casually elegant hotels under the RockResorts brand, as well as the Grand Teton Lodge Company in Jackson Hole, Wyo. Vail Resorts Development Company is the real estate planning and development subsidiary of Vail Resorts, Inc. Vail Resorts is a publicly held company traded on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE: MTN). The Vail Resorts company website is [/FONT]www.vailresorts.com[FONT=&quot] and consumer website is [/FONT]www.snow.com[FONT=&quot].[/FONT]

cdskier

Not at all surprised by that announcement. It will take a while for things to change to the point where resorts could realistically reopen. This isn't going to be just a couple week thing.

Glenn

While not Vail, I'm assuming others will follow...The mid mountain cam at Stratton currently shows a groomer moving snow around; usually they type of stuff they do after they close for the season.

cdskier

While not Vail, I'm assuming others will follow...The mid mountain cam at Stratton currently shows a groomer moving snow around; usually they type of stuff they do after they close for the season.

Win's e-mail on Sunday offered a very realistic view that it was unlikely Sugarbush will reopen this season.

Corwin

Serious question: what's the point of moving snow around after they close for the season?