• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Vail suspending all ski operations immediately

Zand

I feel like everyone in the east except Killington will arrive at this by the end of the weekend. And Killington will announce closed till early May. They'll use that snow on Superstar if they can.

drjeff

Serious question: what's the point of moving snow around after they close for the season?
A few reasons...

Often they will push out the features in a terrain park to discourage folks from hiking for them, and potentially injuring themselves on a feature.

Sometimes it's done to expedite the melting of snow over a work road to expedite the start of off season projects/maintenance

Sometimes it's also the cats up on the hill helping out taking down lift tower pads, any portable Snowmaking equipment/hoses, and ski patrol marking ropes/poles

This season with how rapidly things shut down, there likely will be cats used to help transport mountain ops folks up and around the hill to prep lifts and on mountain restaurants, etc for the off season, since usually that a much longer process than basically totally open 1 day and then done for the year with little "warning" the next day

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app

MEtoVTSkier

Crazy to think that this all started from likely a sick bat contaminating some meat at an open air meat and fish market in central China about 3 months ago. Makes you also think about how "small" the world is these days and how rapidly a virus can spread and more often than not due to our own less than ideal hygiene practices....

This should be a big learning lesson for humanity, especially with modern air travel, on how not to spread contagions, or we'll end up going the way of the dinosaurs...

O09

Looks like encroachment into bat habitat is the leading reason for these outbreaks.

"Many of the recently emerging highly virulent zoonotic diseases have a likely bat origin, for example Hendra, Nipah, Ebola and diseases caused by coronaviruses. Presumably because of their long history of coevolution, most of these viruses remain subclinical in bats, but have the potential to cause severe illnesses in domestic and wildlife animals and also humans. Spillovers from bats to humans either happen directly (via contact with infected bats) or indirectly (via intermediate hosts such as domestic or wildlife animals, by consuming food items contaminated by saliva, faeces or urine of bats, or via other environmental sources). Increasing numbers of breakouts of zoonotic viral diseases among humans and livestock have mainly been accounted to human encroachment into natural habitat, as well as agricultural intensification, deforestation and bushmeat consumption. Persecution of bats, including the destruction of their roosts and culling of whole colonies, has led not only to declines of protected bat species, but also to an increase in virus prevalence in some of these populations. Educational efforts are needed in order to prevent future spillovers of bat-borne viruses to humans and livestock, and to further protect bats from unnecessary and counterproductive culling."

BenedictGomez

Looks like encroachment into bat habitat is the leading reason for these outbreaks.

Occam's Razor.

Sure, you could go with the PETA approved & environmentally kooky crisis profiteering explanation, but I'll stick with the far simpler, "people in nations who literally eat bats bought from filthy open-air wet markets" as the more likely explanation.

ScottySkis

Occam's Razor.

Sure, you could go with the PETA approved & environmentally kooky crisis profiteering explanation, but I'll stick with the far simpler, "people in nations who literally eat bats bought from filthy open-air wet markets" as the more likely explanation.

That explains why the president keep s saying it came from China?
Be nice if stopped blaming it and help fixed the problem before it was to late.
I don't actually expected that from politics parties to care about the country to late.

icecoast1

That explains why the president keep s saying it came from China?
Be nice if stopped blaming it and help fixed the problem before it was to late.
I don't actually expected that from politics parties to care about the country to late.

I'm pretty sure most people agree it originated in China at this point

RichT

N Haledon, NJ/Jewett, NY/South Seaside Park, NJ
I've been to China, came out of a store, made a right instead of a left, walked 1/2 block and came upon one of these "open air markets"!! Let me tell you, it was one of the most weird, bizarre, scary, gross, dirty place I've ever been! I can't quite explain it, but man, horrible.

thetrailboss

Staff member

"Many of the recently emerging highly virulent zoonotic diseases have a likely bat origin, for example Hendra, Nipah, Ebola and diseases caused by coronaviruses. Presumably because of their long history of coevolution, most of these viruses remain subclinical in bats, but have the potential to cause severe illnesses in domestic and wildlife animals and also humans. Spillovers from bats to humans either happen directly (via contact with infected bats) or indirectly (via intermediate hosts such as domestic or wildlife animals, by consuming food items contaminated by saliva, faeces or urine of bats, or via other environmental sources). Increasing numbers of breakouts of zoonotic viral diseases among humans and livestock have mainly been accounted to human encroachment into natural habitat, as well as agricultural intensification, deforestation and bushmeat consumption. Persecution of bats, including the destruction of their roosts and culling of whole colonies, has led not only to declines of protected bat species, but also to an increase in virus prevalence in some of these populations. Educational efforts are needed in order to prevent future spillovers of bat-borne viruses to humans and livestock, and to further protect bats from unnecessary and counterproductive culling."

I’m pretty sure this was because of contact at a wildlife market in Wuhang, China. Not because of any encroachment.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
This virus was purposely not named with country of origin to avoid making it easier to divide us.

A noble gesture, easily defeated by a determined adversary.

Edd

It came from China, and he keeps saying it came from China. But that is not reason he keeps saying it.

Would be very on-brand for this administration to call it the Not Trump’s Fault Coronavirus.

icecoast1

This virus was purposely not named with country of origin to avoid making it easier to divide us.

A noble gesture, easily defeated by a determined adversary.

I guess we should go back through and change all the names of the viruses and diseases who's names have anything to do with their place of origin because its evil and racist. China should own this thing

kbroderick

I guess we should go back through and change all the names of the viruses and diseases who's names have anything to do with their place of origin because its evil and racist. China should own this thing

That's actually why the official name is Covid-19: they now name diseases without reference to place or animal, as doing so in the past has led to people making assumptions (see also: Corona sales dropping). And honestly, the drop in Corona beer sales probably tells you all you need to know about why it's best to use a disease name that doesn't potentially trigger a response towards a particular ethnic group (or animal group).

icecoast1

Not buying a beer cause of the name is pretty dumb although I dont have much sympathy because that stuff is gross