• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Vail suspending all ski operations immediately

EPB

That's actually why the official name is Covid-19: they now name diseases without reference to place or animal, as doing so in the past has led to people making assumptions (see also: Corona sales dropping). And honestly, the drop in Corona beer sales probably tells you all you need to know about why it's best to use a disease name that doesn't potentially trigger a response towards a particular ethnic group (or animal group).

Poor Spaniards still getting dragged though the mud. The unnecessary damage done to their reputation is reprehensible. After 100 years and a PC revolution, we still insist on calling it the Spanish Flu. I bet flights from the US to Spain are way down too.

Sent from my VS988 using AlpineZone mobile app

urungus

That's actually why the official name is Covid-19: they now name diseases without reference to place or animal, as doing so in the past has led to people making assumptions (see also: Corona sales dropping). And honestly, the drop in Corona beer sales probably tells you all you need to know about why it's best to use a disease name that doesn't potentially trigger a response towards a particular ethnic group (or animal group).

Yup

https://www.nydailynews.com/coronav...0200317-vvk734btqjgh7blbdt5chwvlqy-story.html

https://nypost.com/2020/03/06/woman...g-chinese-friend-over-coronavirus-harassment/

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/20/us/coronavirus-racist-attacks-against-asian-americans/index.html

machski

Yes,, but the President isn't naming the origin for this purpose, so ethnic groups get attacked. He is naming the country because they jumped all over him when he cut off flights from China to the US early in the outbrake while it was still mostly contained in China. Granted, they locked down Wuhan after that and seemingly have tamped it down in their country. But early on, they (The Government of China) wanted to act to the rest of the world like nothing was wrong. That is why they keep the origin emphasis on. For now, it won't be addressed. Years from now, I hope we and UN look at this and put things in place to better stem the next outbreak faster. To do that will likely require tough action on the nation of Origin this time for their lack of initial action to protect and contain.

Sent from my SM-T830 using AlpineZone mobile app

trackbiker

Yes,, but the President isn't naming the origin for this purpose, so ethnic groups get attacked. He is naming the country because they jumped all over him when he cut off flights from China to the US early in the outbrake while it was still mostly contained in China. Granted, they locked down Wuhan after that and seemingly have tamped it down in their country. But early on, they (The Government of China) wanted to act to the rest of the world like nothing was wrong. That is why they keep the origin emphasis on. For now, it won't be addressed. Years from now, I hope we and UN look at this and put things in place to better stem the next outbreak faster. To do that will likely require tough action on the nation of Origin this time for their lack of initial action to protect and contain.

You missed the whole point. By his being vindictive toward China he is causing ignorant people to attack innocent people just because of their race. A President should lead for the good of the country. There are other ways he can "get back" at China without creating another "other".

EPB

China is run by an evil dictatorship that silenced the doctors who tried to sound the alarm in a political miscalculation. They're the problem - not average Chinese citizens.

It's unfortunate that some Chinese people living in the west get harassed by a few jerks, but if we really think we're going to stop isolated jerks on the streets by calling the virus by an acronym, we're kidding ourselves.

Sent from my VS988 using AlpineZone mobile app

machski

You missed the whole point. By his being vindictive toward China he is causing ignorant people to attack innocent people just because of their race. A President should lead for the good of the country. There are other ways he can "get back" at China without creating another "other".
I see your point, not being ignorant myself, I understood the President was refering to the Government and not the populance/ethnicity.

BenedictGomez

This virus was purposely not named with country of origin to avoid making it easier to divide us.

A noble gesture, easily defeated by a determined adversary.

You cant talk about this virus in an intelligent manner without mentioning its' origins in the same conversation.
Thus it is bizarre to say, "Trump keeps mentioning it came from China", unless you want to also point out that literally everyone else who talks about this virus also mentions it came from China.

Also, while I'm sure you dont realize it & arent doing so intentionally, you're parroting Communist Chinese propaganda.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...us-propaganda-campaign-is-putting-lives-risk/

Edd

Well, calling it “Chinese Virus” is technically more accurate than Democratic “hoax” so....points for progress?

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

BenedictGomez

BenedictGomez

Pez

from liberal hoax joke to pandemic that he knew about all along in about a week.