Vail suspending all ski operations immediately - Page 45

AlpineZone

Page 45 of 47 FirstFirst ... 354344454647 LastLast
    I would imagine with regular maintenance that quad at wildcat has many years left right???
    All the other lifts there seem pretty old and beat up. Attitash is just fucked at this point. That place needs some serious love.

Quote Originally Posted by snoseek View Post
    I would imagine with regular maintenance that quad at wildcat has many years left right???
    All the other lifts there seem pretty old and beat up. Attitash is just fucked at this point. That place needs some serious love.
    That quad at Wildcat does run year round and has since it was installed so it certainly has a high hour count. You’re probably right though, a good maintenance crew who knows the machine in and out can probably it going for many years to come if parts continue to be available.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone
    2014-2015
    11/3- Sunday River
    11/9- Bretton Woods
    12/13- Bretton Woods
    1/18- Wachusett
    1/25- Watatic
    1/29- Wachusett

www.skibigsquaw.com

At Attitash they should replace the Summit with a HSQ and then move the current triple to replace both of the double doubles. That would solve a lot of Attitash's problems. The doubles rarely get any lines so dropping down from two doubles to a single triple in capacity should not be a problem. Lifts on Bear Peak side are in good shape, although the bear lodge could use a interior revamp.

Crotched's double did get a new drive when the mountain reopened, so most of the mechanics are less than 20 years old. Also Hall lifts were very well built and many of similar vintage are still running, just look at Smuggs.

Quote Originally Posted by xlr8r View Post
    At Attitash they should replace the Summit with a HSQ and then move the current triple to replace both of the double doubles. That would solve a lot of Attitash's problems. The doubles rarely get any lines so dropping down from two doubles to a single triple in capacity should not be a problem. Lifts on Bear Peak side are in good shape, although the bear lodge could use a interior revamp.

Crotched's double did get a new drive when the mountain reopened, so most of the mechanics are less than 20 years old. Also Hall lifts were very well built and many of similar vintage are still running, just look at Smuggs.
    One would think that with Attitash's location in the MWV, and the year-round business that they "had" built up that Vail would see this as a good investment. That said, I have not skied Attitash in a long time and have not been there in 9 years or so. Had Peak run it into the ground such that the summer business is gone? I know about the drama with the Summit Lift. I also know that they did a lackluster job with one of their hotels on the Bear Peak side.
    Live, Ski, or Die!

Quote Originally Posted by thetrailboss View Post
    One would think that with Attitash's location in the MWV, and the year-round business that they "had" built up that Vail would see this as a good investment. That said, I have not skied Attitash in a long time and have not been there in 9 years or so. Had Peak run it into the ground such that the summer business is gone? I know about the drama with the Summit Lift. I also know that they did a lackluster job with one of their hotels on the Bear Peak side.
    Peak did add a zipline and expand mountain biking to Bear Peak in recent years, but I have no idea how well they do business wise in the summer. Peak let go of any remaining stake in the Grand Summit, it is now entirely owned and operated by the timeshare owners. Prior to Covid, I really thought that business at Attitash will grow under Vail as there is really no more growth left in the Epic Pass resorts in Vermont, all three are maxed out capacity wise. Attititash therefore is the overflow destination resort that Boston area families might turn to to avoid the crowds at Mount Snow, Okemo, and Stowe. Now with Covid, who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by xlr8r View Post
    Peak did add a zipline and expand mountain biking to Bear Peak in recent years, but I have no idea how well they do business wise in the summer. Peak let go of any remaining stake in the Grand Summit, it is now entirely owned and operated by the timeshare owners. Prior to Covid, I really thought that business at Attitash will grow under Vail as there is really no more growth left in the Epic Pass resorts in Vermont, all three are maxed out capacity wise. Attititash therefore is the overflow destination resort that Boston area families might turn to to avoid the crowds at Mount Snow, Okemo, and Stowe. Now with Covid, who knows.
    Agreed My guess has been the plan was to try to drive as much Boston area weekend traffic to the MWV/Stowe as possible given how big crowds have reportedly gotten at Snow and Okemo. Vail had/has an acreage problem in VT.

Sent from my VS988 using AlpineZone mobile app
    Ski season is always too short

The guy who built New England Ski History and related sites used to post here a lot. From what I remember, he had industry experience and said that running lifts above freezing depreciates them much faster than when running them below freezing in normal winter conditions.

When you look at how many places have replaced their mid/late 80s era high speed lifts that didn't run long summer hours, it makes me wonder how much gas the 1997 Wildcat Express has in the tank.

Ski season is always too short

Quote Originally Posted by eastern powder baby View Post
    The guy who built New England Ski History and related sites used to post here a lot. From what I remember, he had industry experience and said that running lifts above freezing depreciates them much faster than when running them below freezing in normal winter conditions.

When you look at how many places have replaced their mid/late 80s era high speed lifts that didn't run long summer hours, it makes me wonder how much gas the 1997 Wildcat Express has in the tank.

I've never heard about lift maintenance regarding temperatures. I can see in warmer temps the lubricant on the sheaves wears faster and perhaps leading to early sheave re-builds but that's hypothetical on my end.

Truthfully I find this hard to believe, where's Newpylong?
    2019-2020 59 days and holding...
    Thunder Ridge: 12/7, 12/8, 12/21, 12/26, 12/27, 12/28, 12/29, 12/31, 1/4, 1/5, 1/11, 1/17, 1/18, 1/19, 1/26, 2/1, 2/2, 2/8, 2/9, 2/15, 2/16, 2/20, 2/21, 2/22, 2/23, 3/7, 3/8
    Killington: 11/15, 12/16, 12/17, 12/18, 12/19, 12/20, 12/23, 1/3, 1/30, 1/31, 2/13, 2/27, 3/12
    Mount Snow: 11/27, 12/2, 12/24 Sunday River: 1/8, 1/9, 1/10 Greek Peak: 1/13, 1/14 Jiminy Peak: 12/6 Catamount: 12/13, 3/5 Pico: 12/19, 2/28 Mohawk: 12/27 Burke: 1/1 Ragged: 1/2 Wildcat: 1/6 Cannon: 1/7 Jay Peak: 1/23 Mad River Glen: 1/24 Magic: 2/14
    "Skiing is the closest you'll get to flying without leaving the ground." -snowmonster

Quote Originally Posted by ss20 View Post
    I've never heard about lift maintenance regarding temperatures. I can see in warmer temps the lubricant on the sheaves wears faster and perhaps leading to early sheave re-builds but that's hypothetical on my end.

Truthfully I find this hard to believe, where's Newpylong?
    I'm skeptical as well.
    Live, Ski, or Die!

yeah I've never heard of something degrading faster when running in warm temperatures. I would think the colder temperatures would be much harder on it. I've also never designed, constructed, or operated a lift
    2019-2020

Ski Visits in PA 38
    Ski Visits in VT 6
    Ski Visits in CO 4

Total Ski Visits 48

Thread Information