• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Vail suspending all ski operations immediately

Los

As I mentioned before, I'm fearing the global response to this is worse than COVID19 itself.

I agree. After giving it considerable thought, there is no longer any doubt in my mind that the response is FAR worse than the disease. It seems a two or three week lockdown makes sense to slow the onslaught and allow our health care system to prepare the best it can. And it seems that the elderly and immuno-compromised will need to practice social distancing for at least the mid-term. But after the short term lockdown, everyone else needs to get back to work, follow CDC recommedations as best as possible, and just let this damn thing run its course. The alternative - destroying our economy and destabilizing our socio-political order - is absolutely unnecessary and unacceptable.

Los

194207_c35d191c2b705463819d76d7bb3e9d0e.jpg

Oh my god - hahaha I literally laughed out loud seeing that.

icecoast1

I agree. After giving it considerable thought, there is no longer any doubt in my mind that the response is FAR worse than the disease. It seems a two or three week lockdown makes sense to slow the onslaught and allow our health care system to prepare the best it can. And it seems that the elderly and immuno-compromised will need to practice social distancing for at least the mid-term. But after the short term lockdown, everyone else needs to get back to work, follow CDC recommedations as best as possible, and just let this damn thing run its course. The alternative - destroying our economy and destabilizing our socio-political order - is absolutely unnecessary and unacceptable.

I agree, although sadly I dont see it ending after just a couple weeks. The governor of NY today announced it could go on for several months. Fauci has said multiple times he thinks it's going to take at least several weeks of quarantining . The only thing that might save us is if some of these drugs prove to be useful as a treatment or preventative measure, they're starting trials of some this week in New York. Once theres some form of treatment or prevention, society might start to go back to normal

JimG.

Staff member
Maybe we (you and I) should shut down our TR forums.

I haven't done that yet, but I'm not following our normal practice of sharing TRs on social media.

We've got new members joining who want to learn about uphill travel.

Jay Peak barricaded their access road. Good move Steve.

I went fishing yesterday. My favorite spot was empty but the popular areas were packed and people were trout fishing shoulder to shoulder. I've never seen anything like it!

I won't preach or lobby for sanity people will do what they do. Many don't seem to care about the greater good.

JimG.

Staff member
fishing shoulder to shoulder is miserable. There is literally no fun to that. Forget social distancing...

Absolutely; I kind of prepared myself driving over it would be that way and sadly it was. The whole point to going was to have some alone time outdoors. I'll post a trip report later.

thebigo

Looks like the wildcat, attitash and crotched webcams were taken down. Is that a vail thing or a virus thing?

Rowsdower

Looks like the wildcat, attitash and crotched webcams were taken down. Is that a vail thing or a virus thing?

JFBB was still up today.

It might be they didn't want people all mobbing closed areas looking to hike for turns. Conditions up there are really bad. Super icy, and a few inches of snow on top of ice is a recipe for people to get seriously injured. With no ski patrol present, it creates a problem for the local first responders to say nothing of breaking social distancing practices by potentially having a big gathering of people including those from out of town who may have driven several hours across state lines to get there.

catskillman

earlier in the week, Hunter had only the base webcam down, the others were still working. Now all 4 are down..

kingslug

And sliding down the ice.
People are considering going to Tuckermans which is super dangerouse now...people who have never been there...

drjeff

And sliding down the ice.
People are considering going to Tuckermans which is super dangerouse now...people who have never been there...
I suspect that there's a greater than 50/50 chance we hear of avalanches and injuries (maybe not related to an avalanche) from Tuckerman's in the next few days...

The snow conditions are very hazardous, and the ignorance of some (both in terms of back country awareness and ability level as well as lack of public health awareness for traveling there in the 1st place likely from geographically afar in many cases) and their pent up demand need (or more like selfish choices rather than actual need) is the recipe for trouble....

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app

Whitey

Well said, Los.

We need to isolate the most vulnerable, not the entire population. Months of this would result in economic devastation that no one alive has ever seen (except for a couple of 100+ yrs olds who were youngsters during the great depression).

Slidebrook87

Olympics postponed

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

I think it’s fair to assume that everything until at least May is cancelled and any following events that require prep before mid May will also be cancelled. I’m predicting late April and May to be when everything starts to return to normal and the economy will start to slowly rebuild.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cdskier

Nearly all of Sugarbush's webcams are still up. Looks like the Castlerock one is the only one offline. Quite a few people visible on the cams on the mountain right now.

ScottySkis

I think it’s fair to assume that everything until at least May is cancelled and any following events that require prep before mid May will also be cancelled. I’m predicting late April and May to be when everything starts to return to normal and the economy will start to slowly rebuild.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

U should buy few buy a lottery ticket
Better chance of u winning lottery then anything open by May
This will have huge implications on everything for long time
I hope I wrong