• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Vail suspending all ski operations immediately

Smellytele

I'd say if it really close to you, and the hill is ok with it, make your own decision. But don't post about it on social media.

Ask yourself, and answer honestly... why am I posting this?

To show that you can be responsible and not totally freakout and still have a life in a responsible way. Even if I drive 3 hours skin and get in my car and drive home who am I affecting?

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
You're affecting me. I want to drive to my place in the adk and hike our land and skin Gore. I'll have to make at least two stops on the way, and shop in the grocery store every day.

I'm not going to do it. But I really want to.

Looks at the places that are succeeding at reducing the numbers. They are doing some insane shit.

I'm not freaking out and I don't see others freaking out either. I'm doing my best to follow what the medical pros are telling me.

Edd

Seems like there’s a safe way to head north to a place you own. Wherever you’re getting groceries now, take a supply with you for the trip. Leave with a full tank of gas. If you must stop for gas, just use plastic at the pump wearing gloves.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

Smellytele

You're affecting me. I want to drive to my place in the adk and hike our land and skin Gore. I'll have to make at least two stops on the way, and shop in the grocery store every day.

I'm not going to do it. But I really want to.

Looks at the places that are succeeding at reducing the numbers. They are doing some insane shit.

I'm not freaking out and I don't see others freaking out either. I'm doing my best to follow what the medical pros are telling me.

Just how do I affect you? I am not near anyone or touching anything but my own stuff. You're freaking out if you believe you need to be locked in your bunker and can't even drive in your car to a place where no one else is.

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
We have a camp, about 200 sq ft. Our fridge is tiny, can't hold more than a days worth of food. No real kitchen. We primarily eat out when we go up to ski. Restaurants are closed.

Our friends in the mountains are anxious about all of the second home owners who are coming to town. These are my best friends, far more so than people we know in the flatlands. I don't want to add to their stress. I want to support them.

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
OK you're not really affecting me, but I'm trying to make the point that you are modeling behavior that is currently against what authorities are suggesting. Hope it all stays suggested, and not punishable by law.

Smellytele

OK you're not really affecting me, but I'm trying to make the point that you are modeling behavior that is currently against what authorities are suggesting. Hope it all stays suggested, and not punishable by law.

From everything I have read outdoor solitary exercise with social distancing is being suggested and encouraged not being squelched. Skinning to me is the perfect example of this so giving this suggestion to others will help them in choosing a responsible activity that does not put others at risk.

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
Totally agree about skinning. No different from the walks we are taking every day. Surely more people walking here than skinning whereever.

It's the driving/travel to another community that I think is against recommendations.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com

I don't mind reading responsible trip reports ,kind of nice but snow is dwindling even up north . Reading some TGR reports Vt seems lousy anyway . New snow will help , I imagine the national park system is shut down so White Mountains will be off limits ? Tucks sees a lot of people in a little space area , Hojos and Lunch rocks .

I'm spending today making a home maintenance list of things that I've been neglecting for a long time .Planning on a home blitz this week . It's nice to spend some time in the evening reading TR's . Maybe more people will be inspired to buy touring equipment in the future ?

Yesterday my wife got a call from a doctors office she visited on Monday ,someone tested positive either a patient or staff but due to Hippa they wouldn't say . Last night she had a low grade fever , this morning it's gone but we're a bit concerned about my elderly mother who lives with us .

kbroderick

Seems like there’s a safe way to head north to a place you own. Wherever you’re getting groceries now, take a supply with you for the trip. Leave with a full tank of gas. If you must stop for gas, just use plastic at the pump wearing gloves.

If you burn anywhere near that much gas, you're increasing the need to fill up; if you start with a full tank and don't drive north, that full tank is going to last a lot longer, thus reducing the number of gas-station visits a potential contamination opportunities. And that's just for starters, assuming you can manage the rest of the trip without any contact. You, personally, may be able to do all of that without a significant increase in community risk (let's put it at 0.1% for spitball purposes); a couple hundred like-minded with the same plan suddenly makes that cumulative risk increase statistically significant (in the 10%+ range if the risk is summative, but it's probably more multiplicative and higher than that), and that's before you get into the dismissive or brain-dead people who think that sounds like a good idea and then park right next to you in the ski-area parking lot or call your dog over while you're trying to ascend and maintain distance.

There are also a lot of people asking newbie-to-earning-turns types questions now. While I understand their desire to get out, it is not a good time to be learning a new activity, because a minor injury is a much bigger deal when the health-care system is being overwhelmed by a pandemic. For people with experience with backcountry travel and managing the risks associated with it, getting out for mellow outings (i.e. explicitly choosing low-risk terrain) in their local areas seems reasonable.

From a personal perspective, I'm going to continue skinning and going out on my fishscale tele setup, but I can do that within a 10-minute drive from home. I probably won't be driving the 30-45 minutes over to ski Tuckerman Ravine (or anything else on Mt. Washington) this spring both because of the increased risk of being in a truly alpine environment and because the geographic draw of Mt. Washington makes it a likely viral spread point (even if you draw a circle around Pinkham that extends to a 45-minute drive, and then extend that out to the local shopping radius around the grocery stores frequented by the people in that 45-minute drive, you're talking about three states and who knows how many distinct communities).

So by all means, get outside, but ​please do it locally.

kbroderick

If you burn anywhere near that much gas, you're increasing the need to fill up; if you start with a full tank and don't drive north, that full tank is going to last a lot longer, thus reducing the number of gas-station visits a potential contamination opportunities. And that's just for starters, assuming you can manage the rest of the trip without any contact. You, personally, may be able to do all of that without a significant increase in community risk (let's put it at 0.1% for spitball purposes); a couple hundred like-minded with the same plan suddenly makes that cumulative risk increase statistically significant (in the 10%+ range if the risk is summative, but it's probably more multiplicative and higher than that), and that's before you get into the dismissive or brain-dead people who think that sounds like a good idea and then park right next to you in the ski-area parking lot or call your dog over while you're trying to ascend and maintain distance.

There are also a lot of people asking newbie-to-earning-turns types questions now. While I understand their desire to get out, it is not a good time to be learning a new activity, because a minor injury is a much bigger deal when the health-care system is being overwhelmed by a pandemic. For people with experience with backcountry travel and managing the risks associated with it, getting out for mellow outings (i.e. explicitly choosing low-risk terrain) in their local areas seems reasonable.

From a personal perspective, I'm going to continue skinning and going out on my fishscale tele setup, but I can do that within a 10-minute drive from home. I probably won't be driving the 30-45 minutes over to ski Tuckerman Ravine (or anything else on Mt. Washington) this spring both because of the increased risk of being in a truly alpine environment and because the geographic draw of Mt. Washington makes it a likely viral spread point (even if you draw a circle around Pinkham that extends to a 45-minute drive, and then extend that out to the local shopping radius around the grocery stores frequented by the people in that 45-minute drive, you're talking about three states and who knows how many distinct communities).

icecoast1

If Cuomo is right about the quarantine going on for months, we all, or at least New Yorkers have a bigger chance of dying from mental insanity and anarchy then the coronavirus

thebigo

We live < 1 mile from a state park, we either hike or swim in the park most every day we do not ski. Yesterday there were more cars at the various trailheads than anytime since we built the house ten years ago. Even the obscure trails, where you are typically more likely to encounter a bear than person, had dozens of cars. I found myself getting pissed at the greater than 50% out of state plates and we are nowhere near the state line. Not much we can do except hike elsewhere, fortunately there is a 2000 acre woodlot down the road that only locals would know about.

Last edited:

BenedictGomez

If Cuomo is right about the quarantine going on for months, we all, or at least New Yorkers have a bigger chance of dying from mental insanity and anarchy then the coronavirus

As I mentioned before, I'm fearing the global response to this is worse than COVID19 itself.

Bosco DaSkia

194207_c35d191c2b705463819d76d7bb3e9d0e.jpg

icecoast1

OK, our government is asking us to stay home! What pert of that do people now understand?

STAY THE FUCK HOME!!!!!!!!

People arent going to have a choice with the National Guard coming into town now.