• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Vail suspending all ski operations immediately

Pez

I was going to have one more day at Bromley tomorrow but that might end up being a shit show if people all decide to go there. Idk. Maybe I’m done.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

kingslug

Good thing we got in 5 days..at PC..just landed in NY..
So much for tomorrow..was going to hit Hunter

Last edited:

deadheadskier

Staff member
Put your climbing skins on - have the whole mountain to yourself!
Do it now if that's your plan.

I've been quite bullish on all ski areas shutting down in a hurry.

I'm just as bullish about MAJOR federally mandated travel restrictions coming real soon.

China has been relatively successful at containing the outbreak in their country because they took Draconian measures immediately to lock things down and minimize the movement of people. Italy didn't react as quickly and they've got a real problem going on despite their late efforts. France, Germany, Spain and Israel are following suit to prevent what has happened in Italy from occurring in their countries.

I would not be surprised at all if the U.S. has the same restrictions as Italy by the end of the upcoming week. Likely the only thing that prevents that from happening is apositive reports of reductions in new cases. Even that maybe unlikely. We aren't testing a high volume of symptomatic people fast enough

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

BenedictGomez

I would not be surprised at all if the U.S. has the same restrictions as Italy by the end of the upcoming week.

If you mean the entire nation shut down, no.

If you mean domestic travel restrictions, yes.

Domestic travel restrictions in the localized hotspot areas are definitely coming. Trump said today that that "might" be something they'll do, which is a balloon floated to prepare the nation. It's coming.

Edd

Do it now if that's your plan.

I've been quite bullish on all ski areas shutting down in a hurry.

I'm just as bullish about MAJOR federally mandated travel restrictions coming real soon.

China has been relatively successful at containing the outbreak in their country because they took Draconian measures immediately to lock things down and minimize the movement of people. Italy didn't react as quickly and they've got a real problem going on despite their late efforts. France, Germany, Spain and Israel are following suit to prevent what has happened in Italy from occurring in their countries.

I would not be surprised at all if the U.S. has the same restrictions as Italy by the end of the upcoming week. Likely the only thing that prevents that from happening is apositive reports of reductions in new cases. Even that maybe unlikely. We aren't testing a high volume of symptomatic people fast enough

Driving through town last night the restaurants were full. Tonight, less so. My feeling is that it’s too late.

I work at a pharmaceutical manufacturer that has no intention of closing. Doing so for a month means losing tens of millions. Consequently there’re more rules by the day. One example being that all employees maintain 6 feet of distance between each other. These things would have been more helpful some time ago.

BenedictGomez

I work at a pharmaceutical manufacturer that has no intention of closing. Doing so for a month means losing tens of millions. Consequently there’re more rules by the day. One example being that all employees maintain 6 feet of distance between each other. These things would have been more helpful some time ago.

It's not all about money. Doing so would have catastrophic results unless by "pharmaceutical manufacturer" you really work for a company that makes Vitamin-C tablets. I also work for a, "pharmaceutical manufacturer", and if we closed for a very long time there would be real-world problems for real-world patients.

skimagic

I was going to have one more day at Bromley tomorrow but that might end up being a shit show if people all decide to go there. Idk. Maybe I’m done.

Don't head to Windham , its now restricted to pass holders and prepaids.

deadheadskier

Staff member
It's not all about money. Doing so would have catastrophic results unless by "pharmaceutical manufacturer" you really work for a company that makes Vitamin-C tablets. I also work for a, "pharmaceutical manufacturer", and if we closed for a very long time there would be real-world problems for real-world patients.

Why would you even question whether Edd works for a "real" pharmaceutical company like you do?

deadheadskier

Staff member
Driving through town last night the restaurants were full. Tonight, less so.

Same observation. I stopped into JBI for takeout for the wife and I tonight. I love many of our eateries, but his food would be what I'd miss the most of all if any restaurants were to close in town. Gave Johnny an envelope of cash to distribute to his staff. Hospitality workers are going to be so screwed for the foreseeable future. I'm quite sensitive to that having spent so many years in the industry.

BenedictGomez

Why would you even question whether Edd works for a "real" pharmaceutical company like you do?

Because I'm genuinely surprised that someone who works for a pharma company could maintain that they could shut down for a long period of time without having serious medical consequences to actual human patients. I mean, I guess he might work for a pharma giant in something like Accounts Receivable where he has no interaction with the medical side, but it was a very strange comment. That's why. Put another way, we dont stockpile drugs for a zombie apocalypse.

BenedictGomez

Yesterday my pizza guy (first name basis, it's New Jersey) said his business is down about 20% to 25% this week. I imagine it will only get worse.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Killington will do what they do until Powdr pulls the plug.

Boyne Mountain and Boyne Highlands in Michigan will be ending the winter season after the ski day on Sunday. All resort services and lodgings will close Monday, all uests must check out and leave by 11am then. No idea whether this will be pushed East and West within their resorts, no indication of such as of now by Loon/SR/SL.

Sent from my SM-T830 using AlpineZone mobile app

Brighton, Utah remains open...for now

thetrailboss

Staff member
There are rumors K is closing tomorrow end of the day....not that I believe K zone forums but...

Welp FML for not skiing today. Maybe I'll try and hit a local bump tomorrow or hit Gore even though it will be crusty just to close out the season....

So much for Snowbird and Alta in early April....

Alta/Snowbird still open....for now

Edit: Alta closed effective immediately

Orca

Cynical money grab posing as virtue on the part of Vail and Alterra. I know you oh-so-easy-manipulated apologist will object. Nothing to say but that you are fools.

BenedictGomez

Wow dude you've got to get over the bitterness.

I kind of think he's right though.

Close the cafeterias and bars. Shut-down gondis (which most resorts dont have).
Run ski ops as normal; it's an outdoor activity.

I'll be doing a lot more hiking & trout fishing over the next few months than I normally do. Not a high-risk COVID19 environment.

ScottySkis

I kind of think he's right though.

Close the cafeterias and bars. Shut-down gondis (which most resorts dont have).
Run ski ops as normal; it's an outdoor activity.

I'll be doing a lot more hiking & trout fishing over the next few months than I normally do. Not a high-risk COVID19 environment.

I hearing. A lot of employees of the resorts where not happy with situations

deadheadskier

Staff member
Because I'm genuinely surprised that someone who works for a pharma company could maintain that they could shut down for a long period of time without having serious medical consequences to actual human patients. I mean, I guess he might work for a pharma giant in something like Accounts Receivable where he has no interaction with the medical side, but it was a very strange comment. That's why. Put another way, we dont stockpile drugs for a zombie apocalypse.

My bad. Totally missed the altruistic intent of your protest to Edd only mentioning the financial disruption. I was taken back because Edd talking money is typically your language.

Trust when I say Edd indeed does work for a major international pharma company (not in AR) and does occasionally, in fact care about other people enough to ponder that the drugs he helps make could help them.