• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Vail suspending all ski operations immediately

Edd

Same observation. I stopped into JBI for takeout for the wife and I tonight. I love many of our eateries, but his food would be what I'd miss the most of all if any restaurants were to close in town. Gave Johnny an envelope of cash to distribute to his staff. Hospitality workers are going to be so screwed for the foreseeable future. I'm quite sensitive to that having spent so many years in the industry.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

That was a cool move, man. I should do similar for Rwks.

Pez

Bromley seems to still be open, but I'm going to pass. ski season over. I think we have more serious issues right now.

njdiver85

From a safety standpoint, it makes sense that everyone is shutting down effective immediately. From a practical standpoint, it would also have made sense to stay open for one more day, giving shops and visitors 24 hours notice to sort things out, avoid the crazy rush, etc. Lots of people that bought weekend 2-day tickets now need to get in line for refunds. Request for hotel refunds will all happen at once. Rentals all need to be returned to local shops, etc. Staff need to hand in jackets, clear out lockers, etc.

Glenn

And the reality is there is no safe way to do this. I went to stratton today for last licks. It was surprisingly crowded, and that plus loading lifts at half capacity resulted in big lift lines = dense crowd of people. It’s exactly what we are not supposed to be doing. I drove thru the night, skied for under 3 hours, and decided it wasn’t fun and that I and everyone else there were behaving selfishly and irresponsibly, and I called it a day (a season) and went home. It sucks, but there are more important things than getting the value out of your fucking quad pack.

I ate my magic quad pack. Didn’t use it once. If magic/Geoff want to extend me a courtesy that would be great and I’d be very appreciative. But I’m not preemptively calling them out and personally insulting Geoff the way orca did to win. Win has been a valued member of this forum and the American ski community. Have some respect you selfish prick.

Thanks for the update. I saw the lines on the web cams yesterday and was surprised. Glad me and Mrs. decided to sit out this weekend...not like we could have gone today.

Zermatt

Butternut is closing after today

NOT BUTTERNUT!!!!

Honestly, not really upset. A few weeks ago I was joking because I knew school would close and we would just go hang out at our place in VT, stay safe and go skiing. Now s**t is so real, skiing is the last thing I care about and at least the FOMO is gone for skiing...because I don't have a choice.

I have full Ikon and honestly don't care one bit about getting a refund or anything. I just hope they are able to keep paying their employees as long as reasonable.

Pez

haha, ya I'm actually in the process for washing and putting away my gear right now. seems like going there would be bad karma anyway.

dblskifanatic

Does everyone follow suit or does say Killington keep pushing on because well they're K

Apparently, everyone is following Vail! And for Colorado it will go past 3/22

Executive Order by Colorado Governor - Colorado ski areas shut down indefinitely. I see that this ski area shut down trend is spreading like wildfire.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

kingslug

Guess we will all have to start our non ski season hobbies ..I doubt anyone will reopen..this is not going away in a few week...months maybe.

icecoast1

Guess we will all have to start our non ski season hobbies ..I doubt anyone will reopen..this is not going away in a few week...months maybe.

What hobbies? The entire country is shutting down. But I guess if you want to surf the net and watch cable news all day....

BenedictGomez

What hobbies? The entire country is shutting down. But I guess if you want to surf the net and watch cable news all day....

I'm about to go for a hike at a huge state park with my wife and kid (of course, my guess is State of New Jersey will close all parks this week too as silly as that would be).

Trout fishing will start soon. I dont think I need to Social Distance myself from fish (yet).

snoseek

Mountain bike season is here. Hike. Fish. Fix stuff. Run. Rock climb. Life doesn't need to stop. You just have to choose activities carefully .

icecoast1

I'm about to go for a hike at a huge state park with my wife and kid (of course, my guess is State of New Jersey will close all parks this week too as silly as that would be).

Trout fishing will start soon. I dont think I need to Social Distance myself from fish (yet).

That's the thing, the way the country is freaking out, I see it getting even worse and doing much of anything besides sitting at home will be difficult to impossible.

icecoast1

Mountain bike season is here. Hike. Fish. Fix stuff. Run. Rock climb. Life doesn't need to stop. You just have to choose activities carefully .

I do a lot of hiking and running, but it's more of a workout thing for me than a hobby. Will have to wait and see what happens with mountain biking, if places stay closed cause of the virus, are the bike parks going to open?

snoseek

I do a lot of hiking and running, but it's more of a workout thing for me than a hobby. Will have to wait and see what happens with mountain biking, if places stay closed cause of the virus, are the bike parks going to open?

I'm pretty into riding dirt but have plenty of fun just riding cc singletrack. Bike parks not needed for a lot of people. I'm sure they will go at some point.

chuckstah

Guess I'll be opening the beach cottage early. It's easy to avoid people on the Cape this time of year. This sucks.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using AlpineZone mobile app